16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 GA Rem game loads
bowsniper295
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hello everyone. This is my first post on here. I have a 1939 model Ithaca 37 that has been passed down to me from my dad all the way back to My great grandfather. I have had this gun for a long time now and like to shoot it once in awhile during dove season. I would shoot it more if the shells were easier to find and less expensive. It also only ejects certain brands of shells 100% It needs longer or thicker brass. The Herters work 50/50 the RGL 100% The Herters reload nice but the RGL's don't crimp for crap. I am loading on a Lee loadall 2. I just bought a reel nice Marlin 90 16 1950 DT and it doesn't care about crimps. drop em in and shoot. The 37 pump is a different story. The interesting thing is they are six side crimp but fold better on the 8 starter. ??? Question Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also I am having to add filler to my shells due to only having the cb010016 wads available locally and a small selection of available powders. I say locally because I am trying to keep costs down to fuel my gun buying habits! Very Happy I would like to load using what I have available as components without fillers. Any good recipes for low pressure 7/8 oz and 1 0z #6 loads? Thanks
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hello bowsniper295
Welcome on your first posting
Pleased to have a fellow Texan here
Why you are only 500 miles from me !! Shocked

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/reloading16gauge/files

Again welcome

Mike

p.s. I am not sure the brass is the concern in your 37, the Rem hulls are shorter than the Herters hulls.
Have you tried shortening a few Herters hulls, reloading them and see if they will eject??

Last edited by skeettx on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
bowsniper295
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Texas pride runs DEEP. And for good reason, Its a great state! Too bad everybody else found out. Drowning in transplants that cant drive together down here! Lol. It was better when everyone thought we were all ignorant hicks that ride horses everywhere and recite the Yellow Rose and shout Remember the Alamo. Cool
bowsniper295
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

I just read what was at the bottom of your post. The brass on the Herters shells I have is a little lower than the RGL's I can actually see a protrusion/ bulge in the brass of the herters after firing and getting stuck. Its the alignment notch in the barrel. The Rems don't do this? the bulge is in the square notch shape right next to the rim. I also shot some old paper shells with low brass with no ejection problems. They were cracking along the brass though from the rim towards the front of the shell.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

OK, YES, I have had that happen sometimes with older Federal ammo.
If you use some of the low pressure loads, maybe this issue will go away.

Let us know if you have any issues going the Yahoo loaders page.

Again, Welcome

Mike
bowsniper295
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

I have noticed my reloaded shells are longer than the factory shells. What is the recommended process of shortening/trimming the shells?

Never mind, I've done some researching. Thanks.