16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  RST, Gamebore, Cheddite
RZ
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Are these hulls the same: they all have four stars and "16"s stamped on the bottom of the brass? I still use the Solo1250, SG16 recipe. Thank you. Randy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

The four stamped in stars are a dead give a way. They are Cheddites or at least Cheddite clones. These generic hulls are made in and distributed from China for the world wide ammo industry. The hulls are used by many of today's ammo manufacturers.

The hull color doesn't matter. A close inspection of the plastic base wads of any of these hulls will reveal how similar all they all are. We can safely reload any of them using the same components and proven reloading recipes for any of the Cheddite type hulls.
jswanson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:28 am  Reply with quote

[quote="RZ"]Are these hulls the same: they all have four stars and "16"s stamped on the bottom of the brass? I still use the Solo1250, SG16 recipe. Thank you. Randy[/quote]

I'm Glad to see somebody still has some 1250 stashed besides me. I'm down to my last 8 lbs. What do you plan to use when yours is gone? I've never used anything but 1250 and love its lower pressure in my older guns (that all of them). Picking a replacement is going to be difficult.

Joe

jswanson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:29 am  Reply with quote

[quote="RZ"]Are these hulls the same: they all have four stars and "16"s stamped on the bottom of the brass? I still use the Solo1250, SG16 recipe. Thank you. Randy[/quote]

I'm Glad to see somebody still has some 1250 stashed besides me. I'm down to my last 8 lbs. What do you plan to use when yours is gone? I've never used anything but 1250 and love its lower pressure in my older guns (that all of them). Picking a replacement is going to be difficult.

Joe

RZ
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:46 am  Reply with quote

I have not really researched it yet, but just from casual reading, I think I remember PB, Unique, or Longshot as candidate powders for low pressure loads. Randy
byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Standard velocity loads made with Longshot will have nice low pressure and great patterns.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:05 am  Reply with quote

those new Estate cases I mentioned in the other post are chedds also , so even Fed may be in danger of completely going that rt .... Joe , Unique is an all time/ old powder in the category of 1250 . So is 20/28 and Universal , but I wouldn't hold my breath for Universal . At least Alliant is getting SOME powder out and Unique/2028 has been around recently .

Nice Shot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
The four stamped in stars are a dead give a way. They are Cheddites or at least Cheddite clones

Rio look the same too but they are a little longer than the Cheddites.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:56 am  Reply with quote

Any polyformed hull w/ a flat plastic disc for a base wad will also have a flat bottomed combustion chamber. Such closely similar hulls will pretty much develop closely similar pressures and velocities if all else is equal. Minor differences in hull wall length might affect how the hulls crimp, but won't significantly influence interior or exterior ballistics if the crimps are uniform.