16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Claybuster CB0078 wad load
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

I took a stab at a 7/8 oz. load with the new Claybuster CB0078 wad.

I used:

Rem. Game Load Hull
CB0078 wad
16 gr. Green Dot (weighed)
W209 primer
7/8 oz. chilled 9 shot*

*(The 3 loads I checked with my chronograph were just a hair (5 gr.) under 7/8 oz. as thrown by my MEC bar. I'm thinking my normal Eagle mag 8's will even weigh less.)

They ran 1181, 1202, 1206 for an average of 1196 fps. I have no idea what the pressure is, but based on a very similar load I did have pressure tested I'm confident that these are well under SAAMI limits. That said, use this recipe at your own risk!

The stack height was good and the crimp was fine even though my cam could come down a little bit.

[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/pbnQe8gHj] [/URL]
[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/p9EOGPP1j] [/URL]
[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/f0EOWnzJj] [/URL]
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. i appreciate the connected data. I'm guessing the F209A raises the pressure a little. That said it would be prudent to have these tested.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

I've not compared the DR16 wad with the new 16 gauge Claybuster 7/8 ounce wad, but I'll bet the two are very similar in all the important aspects relative to generated pressures and velocities. I'll bet both have closely similar diameters and wad bases including the shape and depth of the base cups. If so, the two wads will produce closely similar pressures and velocities if all else is equal.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:20 am  Reply with quote

I would agree with that assumption, 16GG.

When I get around to loading and shooting it in some volume (strictly targets) I'll just drop my normal Eagle Mag 8's in my MEC 7/8 oz. bar and they will definitely be lighter than 7/8 oz. (more so than the above load) and choose a bushing that throws close to, but just under 16 grains of Green Dot (perhaps 15.5+ grs.). I'll retest the velocity and if it's in no need of tweaking I'll go with it. My little Belgian OU is a little fussy and functions best with the Remington hulls. I'll use the DR16's in my Federal and Cheditte hulls for the bulk of my 16 ga. target loads. Smile
DAS
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:56 am  Reply with quote

Dave: it has been my experience that when changing from Lawrence Magnum to Eagle brand it was necessary to reduce the bushing/setting for the shot. I have seen 3-5 % increases in weight of shot thrown.

Lawrence has more antimony and is supposed to be harder than the Eagle shot. Therefore when utilizing the same shot bushing/setting you are effectively adding more lead to the volume. More lead makes the volume thrown heavier.

Do not know if this makes any difference to your loads but just my $.02
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

DAS, thanks, I'll check some drops with my Eagle Mag 8's and report back.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

DAS wrote:
Dave: it has been my experience that when changing from Lawrence Magnum to Eagle brand it was necessary to reduce the bushing/setting for the shot. I have seen 3-5 % increases in weight of shot thrown.

Lawrence has more antimony and is supposed to be harder than the Eagle shot. Therefore when utilizing the same shot bushing/setting you are effectively adding more lead to the volume. More lead makes the volume thrown heavier.

Do not know if this makes any difference to your loads but just my $.02

DAS, you are right. I just weighed 7 throws dropped by my MEC 7/8 oz bar with the Eagle. They were pretty consistent, but I threw out the high and low and averaged the middle 5 throws. They averaged 388.8 grains. 7/8 oz. = 382.8 grains, so the Eagle shot drops are about 6 grains over 7/8 oz. I think I'll check out what 15 and 15.5 grains of Green Dot yields for velocity and then send some off to Tom Armbrust. Thanks!
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Dave did you ever have this load tested ?
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Hey Dave did you ever have this load tested ?

No, I never did. Embarassed

I'm at a point right now where I ned to load up some 7/8 oz loads, so perhaps I'll revisit these and send some off for testing.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:13 am  Reply with quote

Ok thanks . I have some other loads to send to Tom , if nobody else hasn't already done it I think will copy Mike Campbells' load , 16 grains GD and Fed primer and sub the CB wad see what happens .
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:22 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Ok thanks . I have some other loads to send to Tom , if nobody else hasn't already done it I think will copy Mike Campbells' load , 16 grains GD and Fed primer and sub the CB wad see what happens .

That would be great.

I have some time now, so in order to save what little "man of his word" I have left in my account I'll work up the same only using International Clays (which has been showing up around here again).

I like Mike's method of using Fed 209A's to get a better sense of the "ceiling," and these light 16 ga. loads seem to benefit from strong ignition.

So FN, if you're going to test Mike's load with a CB0078, I'll do the same exact load with ether 15.5 or 16 gr. International Clays. I'll dial in the velocity before i send a load to Tom.

I'll weigh the powder and shot (7/8 oz. = 382.8 grains), and use the Fed 209A primer.

On another note...
Are there any 7/8 oz loads to check out in Herter's hulls that haven't been tested? I haven't checked the spreadsheet lately, but it seems like we should have some easy-to-assemble 7/8 oz. loads with the DR-16 and CB0078 wads.

As much 16 gauge as I've loaded it seems like I'm always starting over every time I need to load some shells.

Last edited by double vision on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:31 am  Reply with quote

Dave , that sounds great . I have used International in the past and like it, always nice to have other options with the same hull wad combination.

I suspect that the Green Dot load will come in about the same as what Mike got with DR wad , but there is only one real way to find out . My current supply of R16s ( which I load 7/8oz in a 2 9/16" RGL ) will run out by the end of summer , So I am looking for another option for the Rem hull.

Edited: As far as loads with CB0078 wad in Cheddite or other straight walled hulls , There are plenty of loads for those hulls using the DR wad for 2 3/4" and the SG wad for 2 1/2" & 7/8oz to suit my needs . I don't see the cb0078 wad as being a good fit in straight walled hulls but others may have interest .

I will post the results when I get them .

By the way my MEC 7/8oz bar drops exactly that with Eagle Mag 7 1/2s , never had that happen before .
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Loaded up 3 with 15.5 gains and 3 with 16.0 grains. I decided to stay with my standard W209 primers. I have quite a bit of 16 ga. reloading data based on the W209, and that's what I shoot for targets 98% of the time, so I'll stay the course.

I'll get out early this week and see what my chronograph says, then I'll send some off to Tom for testing. Stay tuned!

Rem. Game Load Hull
CB0078 wad
15.5 & 16.0 gr. International Clays
W209 primer
7/8 oz. West Coast Mag 8's
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

In the name of science I loaded up 3 more with 3/4 oz. (328.1 gr.) of shot just to see how they clock. My little Belgian OU loves 3/4 oz. and it's surprislngly effective on the clay range with the little loads.