16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Claybuster CB0078 wad load
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

I have been loading some similar loads in R-P hulls with 16gr of International with CB0100 wads with 7/8oz of shot and a couple of pinto beans on top to fill the hull. They shoot great and I am interested in how the actual 7/8oz wads test for pressure. I have been using up some Fiocchi primers and they work great even if they might be hotter. Very Happy

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

Byron, I'll let you and everyone know how they come out. I've shot thousands with these very same components (16 gr.) and an SG20L wad. When I had it tested it came out right at 9000 psi and they burned nice and clean. This could be a very nice load. I'll report back on the velocities I get this week, and then send a few off to be tested.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:20 am  Reply with quote

Here are the preliminary results.

Rem. Game Load Hull
CB0078 wad
15.5 & 16.0 gr. International Clays
W209 primer
7/8 oz. West Coast Mag 8's

7/8 oz. with 15.5 grs. 1183-1204-1170 for an average of 1185 fps

7/8 oz. with 16.0 grs. 1225-1230-1221 for an average of 1225 fps

3/4 oz. with 16.0 grs. 1266-1267-1278 for an average of 1270 fps

The barrel show minor residue, so I'd call them pretty clean burning.

I'll get the 16.0 tested.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave , That 16 grain load looks sweet . Did you have to use any filler for the 3/4 oz Load ?

I have my GD loads ready to send , just waiting for some feed back from Tom on some Short 10ga loads, as soon as put these together I will send them .
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:32 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Thanks Dave , That 16 grain load looks sweet . Did you have to use any filler for the 3/4 oz Load ?

I have my GD loads ready to send , just waiting for some feed back from Tom on some Short 10ga loads, as soon as put these together I will send them .

No filler for the 3/4 oz. They are slightly concave, but fine and tight.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:46 am  Reply with quote

Just a comment.....there was a reference made that Federal 209A's will give you the "ceiling" when developing loads. For the most part that is a correct statement, however when building these light loads, in any gauge, Federal 209A's tend to exhibit lower pressures than their milder counterparts. The reason is the Federal primers are robust enough to pop the crimp on their own before the powder burns enough to create enough gasses to move the wad/shot. When the crimp starts to yield you are creating space in the hull, which drops the pressure. If you look on a pressure curve you can see the primer ignition spike before the peak pressure spike.

Just something to think about. If you peruse the data for 3/4 and 7/8 oz. loads in 12 Gauge you will see this is fairly common.

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:56 am  Reply with quote

Mark, that's good to know. Personally I only use the Fed 209A's on a couple hunting loads. I'm a creature of habit and confidence, and W209's are what I like to use for the most part.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks DC for that info , I have seen that when studying other data where the Rem primers were the hottest . Makes sense now.

I am sending the GD load to compare it to what Mike Campbell got with the DR wad , so I wanted to keep it the same .
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:59 am  Reply with quote

Just to give a visual with what Mark is making reference to about primary and secondary ignition:

This is worse case scenario and was caused by a combination of primer, powder and crimp depth. It should never be this exaggerated or you end up with bloopers. It was when Kevin at DR first came out with the XXL 12 ga. wad around 10 years ago and I was shooting down around zero F. He was able to reproduce it in his pressure gun and sent me the raw data which I plotted. I moved the picture out of Photobucket into Flickr and lost the legends however.

I have 1k empty once fired Cheddite hulls that were preprimed I'm getting ready to reload. Been debating going to the Federal primers for the reason Mike and others have mentioned. But like Dave am a creature of habit and will likely stick with W209. In part because I have half a sleeve left also.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:16 am  Reply with quote

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pofeYrb1j] [/URL]

I loaded up my shells to send to get tested. I adjusted my crimp punch to give a perfect crimp on the 7/8 oz. example on the left. I then decided to load one 3/4 oz. load for another look see and gave it minimum wad pressure, but the lowered crimp punch packed everything down and it got more concave than I like to see. The other day before I lowered the crimp punch the 3/4 oz. loads looked passably concave, so this is something to work out either with press adjustments or a filler.

I'll report back on the 7/8 oz. load's pressure as soon as I get results.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

Looks great, Mike. I'll jot that one down.

Not trying to steal the great DR16's thunder. It's just good to have choices. I put zero time into making a good crimp on the 3/4 oz. load with the CB0078. I think it can be done well enough based on my chronograph results above.

At Recob's a case of DR16's costs $50.20 MORE than a case of the CB0078. Shocked
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

Correction, I was looking at the CB0075 12 gauge wad.

The DR16's are only $31.10 more per case. Smile

I'm a fan of the DR16, but I think this CB0078 will work well in the RGL hull.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="mike campbell"]I load a lot less these days, but I anticipate using both wads to cover all my bases...

The DR16 for 7/8 in the Cheddites, and the CB for 7/8 in the RGLs.

+1

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12