16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hunting dog leg protectors
rjlance
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:01 am  Reply with quote

My setter hunts a little too hard for his own well being. I think that sometimes , by the way he crashes thru tough cover, he thinks he is a Lab or Springer Spaniel. Unfortunately he doesn't have the tough coat to match. I would say he coat is very fine even by settter standards. Consequently he gets nicked and cut up. I purchased one of those "skid plates" that do a good job protecting the chest and underbelly. However, his forlegs were still taking a beating.

Recently purchased a pair of front leg protectors.
[URL=http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/rjlance/media/CAM00185_zps4e13e142.jpg.html] [/URL]

Unfortunately , even with duct tape, one managed to come off during a hunt, and was lost.

I also have used foam rubber pipe insulation with duct tape. Works pretty well but need to be thrown away after 1 hunt.

[URL=http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/rjlance/media/CAM00183_zps8afe9a1e.jpg.html] [/URL]

Any ideas ? Want to keep him protected and don't want his "mother" putting him on the DL.

gunsrus
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Never seen one get beat up so bad . My 6 year old Setter bangs his elbows on the bell , Astro , Dogtra ..... You name it . His gait is what it is . I do have to wrap him .
Start with duct tape backwards , followed by vet wrap , followed by duct tape . It works .
i gotta meet this dog Cool
rjlance
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
Going out tomorrow AM. Will use the one leg protector I have plus the pipe insulation on the other leg. Got some Orange duct tape. plan to use plenty of it. The pipe insulation I use is sold at Home Depot. I think it is call Armacel.

rjlance
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

Here is a better pic of his body armor at the end of Tuesday's Quail Hunt in Plymouth.
[URL=http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/rjlance/media/mikebob2_zps4acf0560.jpg.html] [/URL]