16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  West Montana with a 311
Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

Been out twice in the last week, busting my butt up the mountains. The trailhead here is only 6 miles from downtown Missoula, and you can't fire until you're 3 miles up the trail. And it climbs pretty quickly. You gain almost 1000 feet in the first 2 miles. Round trip, it's just shy of 9 miles, gaining and losing over 1500 feet in elevation. It's a hell of a hike.

Last Friday, I went up there for a look. Saw a hun right off the trailhead and figured it to be a good sign, but I only saw two in the area where you can fire a gun. I had no shot on one, and missed a shot on the other.

Today, I went up again and didn't see squat other than elk sign. Still, a gorgeous hike and a nice way to burn a few thousand calories.

This is Laika, my Aussie, with an old Sears-branded Stevens 311. Left back in the truck is the 16ga Society shellbag that I got from here years ago. Laika's a herder and not a bird dog, but how could I not take her along?

fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:45 am  Reply with quote

Beautiful country; great looking dog and gun. My last dog, Baxter, was an Aussie; smartest and also most exasperating dog I ever knew! Thanks for sharing.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
raymerlo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Eric,Can you enlighten me on the 3 mile no shoot regs in Montana,is that for a special area...Thanks Ray
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:42 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure about Montana towns, but in Washington State a group can designate an area that they want to be a "no shooting" area, circulate a petition, then the supposed residents of the area can vote to make it a No shooting area- which includes archery and pellet guns. So several square miles of the valley and portions of the hillsides around the town in which I reside is a no shooting area- the swing vote was primarily from people that don't live here but have vacation cabins. It wasn't enough that the techies moved to King county and shifted the ballot, now they're doubling their vote by pushing their values off on to the rural areas. The result is the gun club had to close and I have to drive over five miles to get out of the No shooting zone.
raymerlo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Wow,I thought that we had it bad here in the empire state,where I live in the suburbs of the big apple we would not even be able to hunt,sad that a some people can use their money and control what the rest of us do,bet they enjoy hiking thru those lands on your dime
Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

raymerlo wrote:
Eric,Can you enlighten me on the 3 mile no shoot regs in Montana,is that for a special area...Thanks Ray

It's just this area. There are houses not all that far away, and an elk herd winters there, so it seems like a pretty reasonable regulation to me.