16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Lyme's Disease
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:52 am  Reply with quote

For all of the good folks here who like to play out-of-doors, a new book on the subject just came out that might help some folks dealing with symptoms that most doctors can't seem to explain or deal with. "Why can't I get better" is written by an MD who practices in the Hudson Valley of New York, named Richard Horowitz. Inside this monster tome is a questionnaire that he uses to identify the likelihood of a person having been exposed to a tick-borne disease (Lyme's is but one of many that these little bas--rds carry). There are two deeply divided schools of thought over Lyme's, the Feds (in the form of the CDC and the NIH) say it's non-sense; the folks who are suffering, and the doctors still brave enough to treat them are saying something entirely differently. As usual, it has all boiled down to a "money & politics" situation, and there certainly are kooks and quacks out there using the issue to fleece the uninformed, so do your homework first.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:40 am  Reply with quote

A good friend of mine contracted Lyme's disease about 30 years ago and it took years for him to completely recover. I don't know what medications or other treatments were used but it was a long road for him to get the use of his legs back.
Doggai
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

It's not Lyme's disease. It's Lyme disease. Given that name because it was first diagnosed in Lyme and two other towns in Connecticut in 1975. The disease is not now and never has been owned by anyone named Lyme. So, stop referring to it as Lyme's!

It's the same with Ebola. It's not Ebola's disease. This one is given the name because it was first diagnosed in a town on the Ebola river in the former country of Zaire in 1976.

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

Call it what you will, I do know that if it goes untreated for a long period of time, it will cause all sorts of problems.
Woody402
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

I would tend to believe that report. The dr. Probably has a lot of expireience with tick borne diseases. The Hudson valley is known hotspot for deer ticks.
Virgil Kane
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:04 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
Call it what you will, I do know that if it goes untreated for a long period of time, it will cause all sorts of problems.

You are right about that !!! As for long periods of time just a few months will do you in.

I got it 3 years ago and my doc left it untreated for 6 months because I didn't show a "bullseye". My old doc didn't take into consideration my life style of being in the woods for months every year and said there was no way I had Lyme Disease, I switched docs, got put on meds and the recovery process started from that day. Still suffer from complications that just pop up from nowhere. Think your fine and months go by just to have something rear it's ugly head like being unable to walk, strange heart problems, memory loss and a host of others. The symptoms come and go with no rhyme or reason. Some serious and some just plain annoying.

CDC is still in the dark ages when it comes to Lyme Disease.

Virgil
Doggai
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

I was just reading a blog by a guy that calls himself Gluten Dude. Among all the other methods he has of making a living, he runs a website about gluten free this and gluten free that. There's even a Vodka that claims to be gluten free. Next there will be cigarettes without gluten.

The crowning achievement of Gluten Dude is his list of real, (or imagined?) conditions both physical and mental, that could contribute to celiac "disease". Everything from brittle nails to hair loss to hemorrhoids. The list contains 85 "symptoms" which his followers claim are related to celiac . . . and you shouldn't wait. Tell your doctor you should be tested for celiac right away.

Going down the list, I found I had 35 of the 85 symptoms of "celiac disease". How I lived to be 84 is, and will remain, one of the great mysteries of this and the last century.

While we were laughing about the list at the gun club over the weekend, a medical doctor present chimed in with his 2 cents. He said the nut cases that promote these arcane diseases, and get the gullible to believe their nonsense, should be made to pay for all the tests their followers demand.

It was recently said by someone, "Gluten Free, the current, cool, eating disorder".

Last edited by Doggai on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

Switch to the paleo diet for a month, and see if your still laughing at him.

Inflammation is a huge issue in most chronic diseases. I've been on Paleo/primal since January 2nd this year. I only have a small list of symptoms that have gotten better, but it's enough to keep me from going back to having grain as a part of my diet. No grain, no legumes, limited dairy, very little processed foods or refined sugar. It fits my hunter gatherer lifestyle! What 90% of American's consider 'food' is pitiful.

My wife has numerous food allergies, which have been confirmed with testing by her allergist. She is actually allergic to corn, wheat and rye.
Woody402
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

[quote=
My wife has numerous food allergies, which have been confirmed with testing by her allergist. She is actually allergic to corn, wheat and rye.[/quote]

I would hate those allergies!!! No more wiskey or bourbon.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Having a food allergy is not a good thing. There may be some folks who do it for reasons other than necessity, but I can't imagine many, and certainly not for very long. If I happen to run across my particular food allergen (wheat) I'm out of action for 12 to 24 hours, depending on how bad of a "hit" I got. A headache, ringing ears and an upset stomach let me know when I've been had, because almost all processed foods have wheat now. The same folks that gave us HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup) have figured out how to make an even cheaper sweetener out of wheat. Malto-dextrose, dextrin, and modified food-starch are almost unavoidable anymore and ruin my day every time I run across them. Because of genetically modified crops (wheat being one of the big ones) we can now make large volumes of fairly-inexpensive foods. The downside here is that something like 5% of the population can't digest many of the GMO components.
fourtown
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:20 am  Reply with quote

In defense of the wheat farmer who lets me hunt for sharp-tailed grouse, I must dispute L3's second to last sentence. While most of the corn and soybeans grown in the US are genetically modified, the last I checked, no GM wheat is approved for planting anywhere in the world.

A related observation, as soybeans are now widely planted in the former wheat belt of NW MN and the Dakotas, it seems to me that sharp-tailed grouse now prefer to eat soybeans compared to other planted crops.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:48 am  Reply with quote

I suffer with chronic pain. I removed ,grain, dairy, sucrose, pork, in any form from my diet. I weigh less than 200lbs and the flare ups are few and far between now. Whats cool is that I can eat as much as I care to so I dont go hungry.I use to weigh 230.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:19 am  Reply with quote

Fourtown: wheat is one of the most highly modified grains on this planet. Dwarf wheat dominates almost all plantings in this country because of it's incredibly high yields and it's resistance to insects and disease. It has pesticide DNA incorporated into it's genetic code.
GWP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:43 am  Reply with quote

To get back on track, Wink I was living in Montana and got a deer tick in my belly button complete with the bullseye. After reading up on lyme and calling people 'in the know' to find out answers and a Doctor visit I have done nothing.
Can't say if it is old age and hard use that makes things hurt or have 'symptoms' but the 'cure' of harsh antibiotics for an extended period of time might do more damage then the bugs!
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Did you do the standard 30-day treatment? From what I understand, that is usually successful if you catch it in time. The problem for lots of folks is that they don't know they were bitten and the disease has time to spread throughout the body. Having Lyme's is like having a bad combination of Malaria and Syphilis. Left untreated, you get all kinds of seemingly unrelated ailments that most physicians only treat as symptoms. If you had been bit in New England, they would have immediately started you on oral antibiotics as a standard precaution (even if you didn't have the bull's eye rash).