16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR 16 in the Win AA CF hull
JNW
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Just bought a few thousand Federal and Cheddite once fired hulls and as a bonus picked up several hundred AA 16 hulls. Not sure what I'm going to do with them. I thought it would be fun to load them and see what all the hub-bub is about. Any loads with the DR16 wad? Otherwise I will put them on Gunbroker for auction one at a time:)
[img] [/img]
[URL=http://s407.photobucket.com/user/JNW_01vet/media/f5524ec87b372eea8db222fe7de1b2a9.jpg.html] [/URL]
Please note that the hull is sitting on 8# of 700X I just picked up. I have had 2 incredible weeks - 2 new shotguns, a virtually new "used" MEC 9000 16 gauge, scads of new 16 gauge hulls and 12 pounds of powder. Too bad it's all 12 gauge powder.
I also have SG16 wads and the only 16 gauge powder I have is American Select and a little 20/28.
Thanks,
Jeff[/img]
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

The attraction of the CF hull has more to do with nostalgia and reloadability rather than actual load performance. The advantage of the CF hull for reloading includes a wad designed for the tapered heel, of which the DR16 is not. I'd suggest you sell the CFs and develop some loads with the Feds and Cheddites for which there is a truckload of load data. I suspect GB might do pretty well on the number of auctions you'd have.
JNW
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think the CFs will produce better patterns, but given the fact that I shoot 16 gauge because it's, well, different then I figure I would have the full 16 gauge geek experience shooting CF reloads in my classic double trigger SxS guns. A hammer gun would truly complete the experience, but my fun money account is depleted. May have to chase up some Claybuster AA 16 wads.
Already have loads developed for the Cheds and Feds.
Thanks,
Jeff
4setters
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

In my experience the Win CF's are the gold standard for 16 gauge reloaders, based on reloadability and reliability. Cheddites split, blow out rims, hang up in several of my guns, etc., but in 40 or more years of CF's I don't ever recall any problems. I get at least 10 reloads out of them, and I bet I have some tha have done 20 or more. When "Dove and Quail" loads came on the market, I made sure to snatch up several flats, and I had been grabbing Uplands for years before that. Had I been shooting clay, I would have bought a truckload. Feathers only, though.

Might take you a while to shoot up that 700X, but I have an old IMR manual that lists a load for what you have (almost):

Shell: Winchester-Western 2 3/4 Compression-Formed Upland and Super X
Winchester 209
Hi-Skor 700X
15.5 grains
Remington R-16
1 oz.
1175 fps
10000 LUP

I have read several threads that suggest that you can substitue SP-16's for R-16's, and I have done it myself on a number of loads. Your call on doing that however. Pressure is fairly high for the above load, so you may want to make sure your powder is not excessive.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

The DR16 wad design is based on the WWAA wad design and is primarily used for reloading extra light 3/4 and 7/8 ounce 16 ga loads. 700X is a very decent powder for the task. Try anywhere from 14 to 15 grains of 700X under the DR16 wad for either shot load weight in either the original Winchester AA or the RGL hull. Cheddite hulls will require approximately two more grains of 700X to get the same approximate pressures and velocities for 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads using the DR16 wad.

Based on my experience with extra light 16 ga loads, I believe you will find performance on clay targets and small game birds to be excellent with either shot load weight when loaded in any of these hulls. These extra light loads are especially delightful for recreational trap and skeet shooting, so load some up and enjoy. Good luck.
JNW
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

16gg,
Any idea what kind of pressures those 700X loads would be at?
Thanks,
Jeff
JNW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

Tried loading a handful of shells. 15 grains of American Select and 3/4 oz shot. On a MEC 9000 I could not get a DR 16 wad into the shell and my wad guide is ground down on the side as far as I can go. If I raise the shot drop tube then the wad is too high in the shell. Had to loosen the wad guide and swing it out to get the wad in. Did make a nice shell. Tried an SG16 wad and being shorter it worked much better. Will shoot some tomorrow and if it's not snowing/raining will chronograph them. It seems to me the MEC was designed to load AA hulls with AA16 wads and heavy loads.
Regards,
Jeff
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:55 am  Reply with quote

Here is a couple nice tested 16ga loads using 700x

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14233&highlight=700x
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Here's my take on the CF cases .... i shoot 20 , 28 , and 410 all summer (some registered) - mostly with 1965 High Standard pumps . If I had replacement springs , I'd consider these the best pumps ever made . The chedd case types will ALWAYS to some extent swell . In a pump on doubles stations , this can be BAD ! CF's Never swell and are still bouncy after firing and always pump clean and clear . I always shoot these 1st shot of doubles . Have enogh of these gauges , only a few 16's . I will shoot leagues with the 48's but not registered .