16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  A Dilema
87016ga
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:08 am  Reply with quote

the poor hunting safety,cell phones,lack of respect,etc......are just primers for what this kid is going to be all about in the future.
sound like a trip behind the woodshed to me Exclamation
Natty Bumpo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:30 am  Reply with quote

[quote="brdhnt"]
I was so mad that I just walked off because I truly didn't trust myself to speak. During the course of the day, he stuck the barrels of his Dad's Diana grade Superposed into the ground so he could answer his cell phone and then got pi**ed when I told him to open it and check the barrels.

brdhnt,

This thread struck a cord on several levels and my answer earlier was made as we were going out the door to dinner. So I just want to add a couple of things.

I've helped instruct Hunter Safety classes in three states. In every one, there was an illustration, or an actual barrel, showing what happens when you fire a shotgun with a barrel obstruction. Its usually Exhibit A in "Safe Gun Handling" 101. And any kid who jams the barrels of a Diana grade Superposed into the ground, doesnt deserve to carry one IMHO.

You and his Dad need to have a little "heart to heart" as discussed above. The suggestion to print off all or part of this thread for Dad to read is a good one. Having the kid repeat Hunter Safety with some DI type instructors is another good one. Maybe a printed list on "how to hunt over my dogs" would be helpful. Many folks who dont have birddogs dont have a clue. Maybe the kid needs to carry a gun, empty, for a probation period; this might help drive the point home thru his pinhead.

This is a tuff one, for sure. I'm hoping for a good outcome for you and your friend and a good bird season despite this start.

Natty B.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:38 am  Reply with quote

A little food for thought, and this approach is not typical for me, but it came to me as I read some of the above posts.

This kid may be at a fork in the road in terms of where his life is heading. What will he be like in 20 years if nobody intervenes now? Is there a chance to salvage him? Just seems to me there may be a chance to make an impact on his life, and that chance shouldn't be taken lightly. It doesn't even have to be within the context of hunting (probably shouldn't be, in fact), but just life in general. Just a thought.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Life is short. There are only so many days in the field. I'm sorry it has to be said this way, but i don't let anyone---adult or child---screw a day up for me more than once. Bird hunting behind a good dog is a precious gift, and if anyone i took were that disrespectful of the opportunity, I would flat-ass just never take them again.

fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

662,you've made a very good point about the young man. However, Dad is the one who needs to point him down the right road. Sometimes it's all you can do to keep your trap shut and let other poeple take care of their own business when the solution seems to be jumping out at you. In the end, it's probably a lot harder than giving them a well deserved earful.

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Wolfchief. When it comes to somebody's kids you're only asking for trouble to try to interface/buttinsky. Tell your friend the problem and if he doesn't resolve it, Adios.

Matt
longwalker
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

My first reaction was - the kid should not be hunting with that attitude, and life's too short to put up with it on one of your precious few days in the field. I agreed with those who advised you to put and end to it.
But then, consider the kid's motives, maybe the bad behaviour is really an act to manipulate the father, but the son really would like to hunt with you. I think most bad behaviour is a cry for attention or acceptance. If so, the son may rise to the challenge of acting responsibly for someone else - if it's just you and him, no Dad to act out for.
Explain your concerns to the father. If he's not able to handle honesty, you've at least put an end to your dilemma. Hunt with other people.
If he understands, ask the father's permission to have his son hunt with you one more time, and maybe invite one other close friend who you can trust to say the right things. Invite the son to hunt with you yourself, not through the father. Dad stays home! Explain to the son your enthusiasm for the hunt, and why ethics and good behaviour matter to you. Explain your concerns about past behaviour, and your expectations. Either the son rises to the occasion or he doesn't. If he does, you've helped him become a more worthwhile member of society. If all goes well, the kid will likely improve his behaviour around the father during your next hunt out of respect for you.
If he can't improve his behaviour, you can explain to the father you've tried, that the father is wecome to hunt with you but the son is not - and you will have the satisfaction of trying your best, and can get on with things with a clear concience.
I know this is much easier advice to give than to carry out. In the end it all depends on your judgement of the importance of the outcome. Good luck and best wishes!