16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  MEC Grabber Reloader
tselliott
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

Any of our members out there load their 16 gauge shells with a MEC Grabber 16 gauge. I am interested in both good and any bad things you have to say about the loader.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:13 am  Reply with quote

I reload all my 16 gauge 3/4 ounce recreational and small game bird hunting loads on a MEC Grabber. IMO, it's the most user friendly progressive unit on the planet.

Station settings and adjustments are easy to do once you understand how it's properly done. The first four all important loading stations are just about right in front of you. Spotting mistakes and removing the hull from the carrier plate and fixing it or dumping and refilling it before it becomes a permenant mistake is easy. Once the problem hull is fixed and/or dumped and properly refilled, then putting it back in sequence and continuing production is easy. There's usually no need to remove all the hulls from the carrier plate to fix one problem hull. That is a time saving feature few other progressive reloaders offer. When the occasional powder or shot spill does happen, removing hulls from the stations and cleaning up is also quick and easy, so getting back into production is also quicker and easier.

I've had the opportunity to reload on just about all of the currently manufactured progressive units and a few which are no longer being made. I've chosen the MEC Grabber over all of the others and own at least one in all five gauges from .410 to 12 gauge. That might tell you something.
GWP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:45 am  Reply with quote

Either the Grabber or the 9000 are great. With the 9000 you have to disable the auto indexing if you want to feed it by hand. Good loaders.
Griffon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:16 am  Reply with quote

I'm using a new mec grabber in 16ga. The only drawback is the plastic primer tray. I find after 300 shells or so the primers quit sliding so you have to stop and clean the plastic tray, spray with furniture wax (per mec's instructions) and go again. Never had that problem with the metal primer trays. Interesting though cheddite primers slide better than w209.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

A long time ago, when my 760 and 761 series Grabbers were still relatively new, I found that increasing the upward angle of the tray by slightly bending the drop tube and steel attaching bracket helped the primers slide downwards in the tray a bit better.

I don't own any Grabbers with plastic primer trays, but there might be a way to duplicate my solution to the problem. Just a thought.
GF1
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

I have had a 16 gauge Grabber for a long time, really like it. Have both Grabber and 9000s, think a lot of both. I would only get the 9000 is I was loading a lot of shells, as it's more complex and a slip up is more difficult to get sorted out.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

The Grabber is a no frills loader---easy to adjust and use---good production rates--The 9000 has auto rotation---a PLUS IMO!!Don't be afraid of the upgrade.
popplecop
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Gave my daughter a 16 ga. Grabber and son a 16 ga. Sizemaster. Both like their machines. Daughter loads lead loads and son does the steel and dad reaps the benefits.

rdja
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:49 am  Reply with quote

popplecop wrote:
Gave my daughter a 16 ga. Grabber and son a 16 ga. Sizemaster. Both like their machines. Daughter loads lead loads and son does the steel and dad reaps the benefits.

AWESOME!!!!!