16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  reloading data for old Herters wads in those other gauges?
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:02 am  Reply with quote

I know not 16ga but this is the only shotgun/reloading site I visit and I trust the wealth of reloading knowledge that hangs around here. I'll delete if anyone is offended with this plea for non 16ga related help.

Need to know if anyone around here has any reloading data for the old Herters wads. Have a bunch that came in a reloading bundle purchase that doesn't seem to be getting much/any attention on GB, so...got lemons, make lemonade...and maybe need to purchase a 12ga shotgun or gaugemates for my 10's, oh the horror!! A general search comes up with little to nothing regarding older reloading data for 20 & 12ga Herters wads. If nothing shakes out looks like I'll be doing some load testing with Precision since Tom is probably looking to fold up shop until the spring.

Any input from this collective would be greatly appreciated, thanks

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:59 am  Reply with quote

I have the Herter's catalogs and reloading book
Which wads are you needing data for?

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:48 am  Reply with quote

skeetx , how big is your house !? Good god , you have EVERYTHING ! (haven't seen one of the catalogs in yrs . Seems like we all got rid of them when they went OOB ) . If you notice a load for the 16ga wads (11/Cool with Herco , unique , 800X , send a PM if you would . Just need to know if my loads are in the ball park .

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:13 am  Reply with quote

16D, you took the thought right out of my head, incredible.

Skeettx, Wow... I have;

20ga 7/16"-9/16" x 7/8-1 1/8oz wads
12ga 3/4" x 1 1/8oz Chalice wads
12ga 1/2"-1" x 1 1/8-1 1/2oz wads

A 12ga CZ 104A is looking better by the minute Very Happy

Here's to making some lemonade, cheers...

Last edited by putz463 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Big library Smile

In the 12 gauge try 18 grains of Red Dot, 1 1/8 ounce of shot
in the 20 gauge try 14 grains of Green Dot, 7/8 ounce of shot
Large cap wad 12 ga. 24.5 Unique, 1 1/4 ounce of shot

If the crimps collapse then add a cheerio in the bottom of the wad cup
before adding shot.

Mike

p.s. 16 ga. 1 1/8 oz shot Unique 19.5 grains
they show alot more for Herco, seems quite high
I do not think 800X was made in those years

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:47 am  Reply with quote

I have a small stash of the Herter's 16 ga, 1-1/8 ounce one piece plastic wads I picked up from Kittery Trading Post a while back. The shot cups area bit more voluminous in comparison to any other 16 ga plastic wads I've used. The OAL wad length and that extra deep shot cup permits me to assemble 1-1/4 ounce loads in the blue Fiocchi hull w/o an excessive amount of shot sitting above the cup and w/o any crimping issues.

I worked up an exceptional 1-1/4 ounce load of #4 shot in once fired blue Fiocchi hulls using Alliant/Hercules Blue Dot powder, the Herter's wads, and some older My load patterns exceptionally well out of my Citori and kills pheasant with authority out past 40 yards.

I can't openly divulge the exact powder charge, because the load has not been pressure tested. As a broad hint, I will say it is just about the same charge as the one published by Alliant/Hercules for an equivalent 1-1/4 ounce load designed for the 16 ga. Federal Game Load hull using a Remington SP16 wad and a Federal 209A primer.

I believe my load's performance is marginally better than the published one. At least that is what I've observed on the pattern sheets and from actual results under tough field conditions. I think it all comes down to the uniformly excellent crimps I get when using the Fiocchi hulls.

The published load is no slouch if the Federal GL hulls being used crimp well. However, I've not found all lots of 16 ga. Federal GL hulls to produce uniform crimps. Apparently the purple plastic tubing used varies some from lot to lot and year to year. Some hulls are fairly stiff, while others appear to be a bit too pliant. The softer ones often buckle before the crimp folds are well formed and firmly set. The weak crimps tend to partially open after a short while. The Fiocchi hulls are more uniformly rigid and always crimp more firmly. The loads stay closed and perform dependably. I can't ask for more than that from a load designed to be used when the chips are down.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:29 am  Reply with quote

Thank you skeettx, it's a good push away from the dock, I'll take it from here. A little load development is worth it here, there are ~3k+ wads and it seems a bit of a waste to put them in the recycle bin. Hmmm??...10->12ga & 16->20ga Gaugemates or a new gun, Oh bother....

Appreciate that 16GG, but I have no need for loads much over 1oz of lead whether for target or game in this neck of the woods. If I ever get out where Pheasants are the norm I'll look up some heavyweight recipes and load accordingly.

Thanks a bunch guys...

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:36 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Big library Smile

skeetx, once again, you are my shotgun shooting hero!
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:11 am  Reply with quote

Skeetx - is that 16ga load generic , or for fed type cases or what ? They had quite a variety back then , but not sure the one piece AA cases were included yet .

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Nothing in the Herter's books are very specific.
Generic, load, should work in most current hulls.
Always err on the side of caution
Mike

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
...Appreciate that 16GG, but I have no need for loads much over 1oz of lead whether for target or game in this neck of the woods. If I ever get out where Pheasants are the norm I'll look up some heavyweight recipes and load accordingly.

Thanks a bunch guys...

You are more than welcome putz463. I chimed in only because I don't believe the particular 16 ga. Herter's wads I have on hand are suitable for anything but 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 ounce loads. The shot cups are considerably more voluminous than those of any other 16 ga wads I've used. Even using these Herter's wads for 1 ounce loads would be a waste. There are better choices available.

I'm also not familiar with any other Herter's wads in any gauge. Herter's may have marketed other 16 ga wads designed for lighter loads, but I've never seen or used any.

Regards,

16GG
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

GG - you are right about the volumn - lots of room ! Can use your 28ga wad parts tO CUT IT BACK . DON'T FORGET TO MAKE SOME petal cuts . this computer is hilarious trying to type , ya'all should see what it comes up with !

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

tried the 19.5 unique load as follows : Fed case , Chedd primer , Herters wad split 1/2 way on the solid sides , 11/8 6shot ... test gun was my single barrel Excell (as it likes to stick in the chamber and the forearm unlatches with a decent recoil ) ... Both shells fired fine , burned clean , had no stick issues and seemed to have about skeet vel ... I know GG loads some 11/4 loads with these . His powder load may give him a little more space . Because these have a solid post middle cush , I don't know if I can get more in the Feds . Maybe another 1/16oz . This load fits the case like it was MADE for it - may even get it tested someday . (yeah , I know , dangerous gun ! )

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:44 am  Reply with quote

Dang it!! Go figure, all the Herters wads sold, now I can't justify having Santa bring a CZ/Huglu104a Confused guess I'll stick with the 16 & 10ga's Very Happy