16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Slightly OT rant
dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

BarkeyVA:
Yeah that one is the same idea and basic style just "updated".
They took the front expandable flap pockets with interior shell loops away and put the loops and extra pockets with super scratch maker zippers on the front. There was no need to change that coat. Luckily I bought my dad one back when I got mine.
As usual they cheaped it up. Thanks Cabelas for being the "foremost cost-cutter".

Bummer.

canvasback
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Two Pipe Shoot wrote:
Buy quality, make sure it fits, and don't look back. Reno

This!

I have to laugh at threads like this. Oh, the big bad Cabela's or Gander or Walmart or whoever!!

They are successful because they are doing a better job of supplying the market with products that the average consumer sees value in. That's it. No special secret, no nefarious plot to shut down American factories and put union workers out on the street. It is simply a value proposition that happens to be winning the retail dollars these days.

As a few of you have noted, being an informed shopper, prepared to search out what is closest to your own ideal, usually results in success.

The fact that many here, and the majority across America, choose to be penny wise and pound foolish, should be immaterial to smart consumers.

My hunting clothes tend to last me at least 20 years, if I go by what's in my closet. Vests, cold weather gear, camo for the marsh, upland jackets, boots, etc. I usually only get about 7 years out of my waders. I never make snap decisions on what to buy.

I've been thinking about a new vest for two years now. Same with new boots, of which I need two pair. My rubber boots need replacing after 20 years as do my leather boots. I think I have settled on the leather boots....still to decide on the rubber boots. I just picked up a new pair of upland pants after a long deliberation.

My aim is to find, for me, the perfect item. If I am successful, the upfront cost will turn into pennies per use by the time i am through with the item. And when I consider the time spent wearing the stuff and compare the initial cost to what I spend on....guns, shells, travel, dogs etc...well, you get the idea.

IMHO this is a goofy thing to be griping about.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
scraggley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Reno has it right. My Filson pants , Johnson Mills hunting coat and Bean boots are over 40 years old and are still going strong . My Russell boots are newer and in great shape but all this stuff will still be useful to some one after I'm gone.

Art

dap
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Two Pipe Shoot wrote:
Buy quality, make sure it fits, and don't look back. Reno
That's a tough thing to do. My clothes seem to shrink from one season to the next. Stuff I bought 20 years ago has shrunk at least 3 sizes.