16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Introduction to a Good Gunsmith
drcook
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Folks,

This is a post that I put on the Ithaca Forum of Shotgun World, but it is equally applicable here. That is why the post is geared towards Ithacas.

I do not know though, if he works with SxS'es or O/U'ers, that is something you would have to ask him. However, I am sure that I saw some in his shop, I am just not going to speak out of turn.

Take notice of where I mention the magic nbr 16........

=====================================================

I would like to introduce to you another gunsmith that understands Ithacas, up to and including fitting old barrels to a different old receiver.

His name is Gerald Kuthy.

I have been in his shop, and been the benefactor of his work. He has a large, well equipped shop with all the machine tools necessary to do the job.

In fact, the current project gun for my daughter will sport a King Ferry 16ga VR CT barrel that he shortened to 24" and retapped for the choke tubes.

In fact, another board member here has also used his services in the past with positive results.

Yes he is one of the few smiths around that have taps to install tubes on 16ga barrels and a 16ga reamer.

Like myself, Gerald's background is tool & die. When you have been a tool & die maker, it becomes a habit to simply do all your work with care and precision.

Gerald also specializes in hot bluing. I saw a sample of a barrel he polished and he recreates the factory polish.

The one caveat that I have to say is not to expect a rush job. If you want it done correctly, the you have to get in line just like everyone else and is the same situation at all good gunsmiths around the country.

Here is his contact information:

Gerald R. Kuthy Jr
Custom Blue LLC
740--498--8790
customblue atsign tusco.net of course atsign=@ I just put it this way so the net bots can't strip his email and spam him

I will be posting a picture of the end of the barrel where he shortened the rib and retapped it. What does this tell you ? Well if he is this careful with such a seemingly simple project, then that reflects on all his work. I saw a tactical rifle that he was building for a law enforcement dept (if I remember correctly) and the work was flawless.