16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  12 ga wad in a 16 ga steel recipe
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

I have seen older post that have discussed the use of the BP12 wads in a 16 ga shot shell for steel. Since many of them seem to predate the VP80, I thought I would ask the following questions:

To those experienced with these, any good? pros and cons? Would you always use a BPGS in conjunction with it?

When I checked the reloading master list I only found 2 such loads both using federal hulls. Does anyone have a more extensive list using other hulls?

Just thought I would compare the patterns with those I am testing with the VP80 unless the fps is not high enough or there is some other factor that would eliminate its consideration.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

I use the BP-12 for hevi shot I use a 16ga gas seal under the cup slit into three sections. I use a 135 nitro card under the cup slit into 4 sections.Works good for hard pellets not for lead very patchy patterns from distortion of soft pellets. the bp-12 is .665, very close to .662 = 16ga bore

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Jim Atlas
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Lyman's 4th has two loads in a fed hull. Both are 3/4 oz and use a. 125 card under the bp12 tuff. Thwre are 7/8 and 400 grain loads in the vp80.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:37 am  Reply with quote

Jim A. beat me to suggesting the Lymans 4th recipes for the BP-12. I would think that if so inclined; a little load development with Steel Powder and maybe a mylar sleeve would possibly yield some useful 16ga steel recipes.

Reasons I gave up on them; IMO an anemic (Lyman) load and a little difficult to assemble due to the .665 OD + the pointed striations sticking out underneath making it not worth the effort.

If you do not have some already, I do that I don't foresee using anytime soon, PM me if you'd like a handful to experiment with.

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:42 am  Reply with quote

thanks putz,

I recently purchased 1500 VP80 so it was more of an afterthought as I seem to be the latest 'chump' to be chasing a decent steel hand load. Unless someone just came out here and claimed they were the best they ever shot I think I'll stick to my VP80 since that amount will last me 6 to 8 years (I hunt some dove and pheasant on public lands).

I still use the evil 12 ga for my waterfowl trips. Got a great buy on some Fiocchi they only market with Scheels - 3 inch 1 1/5 oz @ 1550 FPS. After patterning a few in #2 and #4, I purchased a case of each at $95.00 a case. Since I only went out twice during teal season and once since open duck I still have a complete case of #2's and 9 boxes of #4's. Apart from my lack luster performances I do recommend purchase a box of each and doing a pattern test. In my 870 Wingmaster they out performed shell I was purchasing for 50% more a box.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
rdja
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Charles,
I bought those shells in a Rural King. I use the expensive stuff for my main loads, but like a good steel shell for cripples. In N. Dakota I used Remington Sport steel in #1 and it was pretty effective on the cripples. Used the bulk of one box, so thought I would get another box. Then I was in RK and saw the Fiocchi Steel shell, and bought a box of 1s for my cripple load. Good price, a tad less shot 1 1/5 vs 1 1/4ounce. but higher speed.
I am not going to pattern them since I use them as a splat load, but it would be worth considering if I ever went to steel completely. But I have probably 2 more years worth of tungsten stuff. I watch for sales and stock up.

Nate