16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Adventures of a tire kicker - went shopping
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:01 am  Reply with quote

So it was raining a bit here on Sunday so I took a road trip to southern Maine and it's large outdoor store - while in store I just had to nose around all the sxs they had out on the floor - the counter guys were very busy so I didn't bother asking what they had behind the counter.

Handled a Stevens with a tenite stock - WTF were they thinking with that? This gun had some serious wear too - sure the lever was off to the right - try and move it and the pivot point shifts well left before the gun breaks open - the hinges were tight though - probably misaligned or something...

the best gun there was well used by well maintained - tight and the wood was without chips or cracks, the barrels were in good shape and no visible dents, dings or bulges. 28" full/mod fo it wasn't what I'm looking for so back it went.

It was an Iver-Johnson which doesn't seem to get any press - good or bad - out on the few forums I frequent - any comments on the maker in genreal?

Anyway, my search continues but after handling several guns, I'm sure I'm paying attention and I'm sure I'm missing something too. For now I'll keep looking and asking Q's here.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:29 am  Reply with quote

I'm guessing you've spent some time at Kittery, in Me??? What are you looking to spend? I'm also making a strech, perhaps, but as your on the 16 page, your looking for a 16?
When next you go to Kittery, you want to talk to Tom the irish guy, or
Geoff, or John(big guy) they are the ones with the secret code to the back corner area, you can let them know you spend time on this site, it won't help with the $$$ nbut they will be more inclined to give you better service..
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Huns - yeah KTP - it is what it is and it ain't the same no more...I'm sure some of it is profit/security driven more thna anything.

I don't get up there much as they don't seem to have anything I really need/want anymore - seems I've got my systems/gear down to what I need.

Got any other places to reccommend? I'm in Portsmouth area frequently but don't now any shops...I've yet to get to Reily's and I'm going to Skips soon enough.

Down here on the North Shore, the stores are limited - Collectors never seems to have what I want but I like them better than the tactical biased 4 seasons. After that, it's a lot of driving for me.

You're right though - I'm looking for a 16 sxs - IC/Mod 26" prefered 28" tops

budget is currently 1k but I may just bump it up to 2 - if I do then the search is short but the fund raising is longer. I think I found my "mid-life crisis" object as I already drive a convertable (Jeep) and have a hot girlfriend.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Hear you on the hot girlfriend, as far as mid life crisis, well that would have required me to mature to the point that I ever hit mid life(in my mind, as physically it's mid 40's) I can call the boys at Kittery and have them keep a eye out. Let me know what your looking for, american, spanish, continental As far as the others, I don't have enough time to get to Reily's, and haven't heard of skips. BTW I'm just up the street in Amesbury.
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Skips is further north - up by Merideth, on the west side of 93 iirc.

I'm still doing homework at this stage but when I see it, I'll know and will not hesitate to (pardon the pun) jerk the little brass hooky thing...

I hang out quite a bit in NBPT and keep the duck populations circulating

down on wakefield these days myself - know a few boys over that the Havehill Hound & Gun Club too.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

You part of the Joppa Flats DU thing??
most of my stuff is out for pads, and cleaning, as well as a restock, but when the bulk of it gets back(in the next few weeks) your more than welcome to get a idea of what you want. I've got a simson, a sauer, a austrian hammer, as well as a phesant killin laser beam of a merkel, almost forgot the LC thats out for a extream makeover. they are all 16's both straight and pow, between 5 3/4 and 6 1/2 lbs.
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Not the DU gang - I'm more likely chasing the stripers with the Fly Rodders - I'm on the north side of the river for ducks Wink so I'm there year round - add football on Sundays and well, I should a bought a place there years ago.

Thanks much for the offer to um, well, ah, check out your guns...there's a joke in there somewhere I'm hoping everybody just let's it go...

seriously, first hand tips and insights into the old iron is greatly appreciated. Perhaps before the season starts in Oct. we could get together.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

IMO---The East coast would be THE worst place to find a good 16-----The midwest has many more models at an affordable price Wink
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:48 am  Reply with quote

Sounds good. the other place you might try is Robin Hollow at Addiville. A bit pricy on the more expencive stuff, but sometimes you can find a bargain.
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

Wasn't the tenite stocks made due too WWll, the military was using all the wood for grands.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:32 am  Reply with quote

The "they used Tenite because all the walnut was going to the military during the war" is one of those persistent urban legends. Stevens doubles with Tenite were available before the war. They were something like $1.50 cheaper than a Stevens with a wooden stock--so it was for the $, not the war effort.

Iver Johnson Hercules . . . seen less frequently than most of the other "economy" doubles. They tend to be on the heavy side, but they're pretty decent guns. They seemed to use better wood, and checker better, than the other old economy doubles--but the dog on the receiver looks like it came from a kindergartener's Etch-a-Sketch.

There was also an Iver Johnson Skeeter, made for skeet as the name indicates. More expensive than the Hercules, but you see them on occasion, and even in 16ga. But they'd be over your $1K budget. If you're thinking classic American double, you might get an LC Smith or Ithaca NID 16 for that; you can certainly find Stevens, Hunter Fulton, Lefever Nitro, Iver Johnson in that price range. Stevens would be my last choice, although they're pretty reliable guns. I think the others all look and handle better.