16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Preserve pheasants
rdja
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:28 am  Reply with quote

Would the Herters #6 loads at 1150 fps be a decent load for preserve pheasants. I joined a local hunting club and need to get some more shells. Since the price is so good I thought about getting the Herters instead of the much more expensive Remington long range or the Federal Wing shok.

Opinions?
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:56 am  Reply with quote

I suppose there is a reason that the 1 oz 1165 fps loads are marketed as Rabbit & Squirrel loads, and the 1 1/8 oz 1265 fps loads are listed as Pheasant (formerly Pheasant and Duck) loads; but the makers were probably referring to wild pheasants; so a semi-domestic bird would probably drop to a lighter load.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Got all the wild birds I need here in NW Iowa, but I've tried factory 1 oz at 1165 fps and not been impressed with the wound rate (federal, remington, winchester). My reloads have been mostly 1 1/8 oz between 1210 to 1275 fps. I might consider 1 oz, but I would not suggest anything less than 1210 in speed and would consider more in the range of 1225-1275 as ideal.

I find once I had patterned more than 1300 fps the loads seem to be counter-productive. I've taken to only purchasing the cheap 1 oz factory loads for sporting, dove, and rabbits. Then I reload them to 1 1/8 oz in faster fps for pheasants and turkey or 7/8 steel in faster fps for public lands.

Just as s disclaimer I have yet tried cheap loads of fiocchi, rio, or herters in 16 ga.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

1 oz. of 6's will get the job done, whether it be 1165 or 1265 FPS. Not enough difference to bother with, especially on barnyard pheasants.

16'er
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:45 pm  Reply with quote

1oz #7.5 RGLs take down pen raised pheasant quite well IME.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Aside from quality and dependability, how well a load performs for you depends quite a bit on the the gun you use and the conditions you will be hunting in. So we could use a bit more info to answer your question.

Will you be hunting over dogs? Pointers or flushers? What kind of cover will you be hunting in? Open or wooded? How is your gun choked? How well do you shoot it? Thanks.
rdja
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hunting over retrievers(flushers), pretty well trained but have to work to keep the young one close. Gun will be either a 16 ga A5 with poly choke (prob set at Mod), a 16 ga Marlin 90DT with choke tubes, usually Mod and Full, or a 16 ga Beretta Silverhawk, fixed choke marked Mod and Full but shoots closer to LM and IM.

Open cover, tall grass, corn and wheat stubble, edges of trees but not wooded lots.

I bought a box of Rem Game #6s at 1200 fps, kind of splits the difference. Plus it was $8/box vs $16/box for the Remington Long Range 1 1/8oz at 1295

Will see how that works.

Thanks for the replies
Nate
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Open cover, young flushing retriever? I'd look for 1-1/8 ounce #5 loads and forget the one ounce 6 shot loads. More reach and more punch will do the job a lot better IMO.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:03 am  Reply with quote

I use Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #6 on preserve pheasant, but it's also my choice for western grouse and chuker, so I keep a flat on hand. I've never seen a reason to shoot anything else. It works if I do.

I did load up some 1 oz #7 nickel plated loads at about 1250 for Idaho California quail and had a pheasant rooster get up when pressured and presented a 40+ yard crossing shot. The 1 oz of #7 nickel just folded him out of a LtMod choked barrel. I think the vitals being exposed on the crossing presentation helped with the effectiveness of that load. A going away shot may have turned out differently.

pepperdawg
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
1 oz. of 6's will get the job done, whether it be 1165 or 1265 FPS. Not enough difference to bother with, especially on barnyard pheasants.

Hey DogChaser - Got a box for you again this year if you want em.

How was your season?

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Sure, send them along.......if you still want some heavier turkey loads I can do that........would be nice to meet one day over coffee or a round of skeet.

Good so far, got a young pup to work with and she is doing OK. My older GSP has been great.

I decided against the Nebraska trip this year, because the grouse and pheasant populations are down. Where my place is, the farmers were asking us not to put too much pressure on the few pheasants that are left. No point biting the hand that feeds you and I got enough to do with this pup.

Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Where in Nebr were you headed? Pheasants are up and I had seen truckloads of grouse. Quail up to.
Little Creek
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:21 am  Reply with quote

One of my old hunting partners (the first guy) calls pen raised pheasants P-Burds, because they are pheasants in color only. He hunts put and take birds with a .410 on many days. That's something I'd never do on wild birds.

If the birds are put out the same day you hunt, it won't take much of a load to bag them. Birds that have been out longer get just a little wilder. None the less, one ounce 6's should do the trick on shots in reasonable range. Pen raised birds don't seem to have the vitality of wild birds, and will come down easier, and run less. Still, use a good dog for maximum fun!

Enjoy!
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Just north of North Platte.

Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, pheasant numbers might be a bit low there, but that is exactly where I saw the most sharptails I have ever seen (except NoDak)
I was antelope hunting the sandhills north of NP, kicked up 100's literally every day.