16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 3/8 mags
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:00 am  Reply with quote

well,the local boys got me some Blue Dot likety split . Had just enough fillers for 3 loads - ready to send to Tom ..... Win Chedd cases , CCI 209 T&S primers , .20 OP , 1/2 " filler , 600 grns shot . I need to know what Tom charges per shell for testing & off they'll go !

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Tom doesn't test during the winter....$5.00 per shot last I knew.......3 loads aren't worth sending at least a sample of 5 plus one so that Tom can verify the contents........CCI209 aren't gonna get the job done with Blue Dot especially when it gets cold........Winchester 209, CCI209M or Federal 209A.

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:37 am  Reply with quote

Dang it, shame you had to get a whole bottle of BD for this experiment 16D, I could have sent you a handful to play/experiment with, let me know if you get stuck with it beyond this adventure.

This should be interesting, although 2-3 shells is not the optimal batch for testing, the 2 that do get sent down the test barrel should tell which ballpark you're playing in. With any luck you can get the shells to Tom before winter does, good luck with that, maybe a call first would save some unproductive time.

byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:39 am  Reply with quote

Precision Reloading does testing. If you need some additional components to make up enough loads let me Know what you need and I will send them along.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thanx guys - I've found about 20 more fillers in "inventory" . In talking with dc37 , he doesn't like the CCI's and I understand that . I will probably send out 6 of these and 5 with Chedd primers , I know I have them . then we'll go from there . Am trying to stay on the low press side and go up if possible . May not know till spring depending on what Tom can do ....BD , need to PM you about a 28ga case trimmer .

mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Plus 1 Mr. Campbell.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have an old Lyman manual that has 1-3/8 load. I think it was with the old fiber wads. I'll have to look that up when I think of it. Bill
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:10 am  Reply with quote

HB - post it if you will ... I've never seen a load /data for this . The loads are all boxed up and ready to go to Precision . Was going to take them to Fed Ex this am , but it got to - 8* , air temp and I think I can wait till next week when we have our 20* thaw ! ( also picked up an 870 wingmaster . If I can't find a guy with a reamer , will drill'er out to 3'' so that I have every big 16 BOOMER advantage ... I will shoot 1 or 2 of anything that passes testing , then go back to my 3/4oz love loads !).. thanx guys for some of the newer loads for steel - I have them in the ready , but for this diddy , I'm trying to sort of keep it old timey !

Last edited by 16gaDavis on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:51 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
HB - post it if you will ... I've never seen a load /data for this . The loads are all boxed up and ready to go to Precision . Was going to take them to Fed Ex this am , but it got to 8* , air temp and I think I can wait till next week when we have our 20* thaw ! ( also picked up an 870 wingmaster . If I can't find a guy with a reamer , will drill'er out to 3'' so that I have every big 16 BOOMER advantage ... I will shoot 1 or 2 of anything that passes testing , then go back to my 3/4oz love loads !).. thanx guys for some of the newer loads for steel - I have them in the ready , but for this diddy , I'm trying to sort of keep it old timey !

16 Davis, either I have had one of those senior moments about the 1-3/8 load or I have missed placed the Manuel. It could have been in one of the manuals I gave to a dealer friend few years ago and he went to the golden duck pond in the great beyond. But I'll still keep looking. Bill
4setters
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

HB and 16Davis: For what it's worth, Lyman's #1 lists a number of 1 1/4 oz loads for 16, but no 1 3/8. Cases include Rem SP (w/ mostly CCI 157 primers), Win CF, Federal, Alcan and CIL. All 1 1/4 loads use fiber wads, probably so the column is short enough to get that much shot in the tube and still crimp (as well as the lack of plastic wads on the market then)! I don't have subsequent Lyman's (2, 3 , etc.), but can't recall ever seeing 1 3/8 oz. recipes.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:07 am  Reply with quote

4setters , my Lyman #2 has 11/4 with sp loads also ... no 13/8 .

4setters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

16 Davis; delayed memory here (part-timers?). After post, I recalled that the 16 gauge manual from BP has a 1 and 3/8 load or two, with Blue Dot and the VP80 (or whatever it is called now) wad. That wad is mainly for steel loads, but it will hold a lot of lead since there is no "cushion" at all. I'll pass.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:10 am  Reply with quote

I use a load of 1 3/8 heavi shot that uses 39 grains of 2400. BPI was intrigued by it and tested for me 1350fps at 10500psi I have since loaded lead #6 in this combo and patterned it for turkeys ,40yd patterns are impressive the hevishot load of 4 is a killer goose load. I shoot it out of a Sweet 16 and recoil is very tolerable. If you want the whole combination of components let me know

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/