16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Mag, copper, or nickel lead shot
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

I am doing a little test and had a question:

I have mag lead but I was wondering if anyone has tested the theory that plated (copper or nickel) lead is not only slicker but also creates a tighter pattern?

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

The tighter pattern comes from less shot deformation--on long range pheasants for example the extra cost is well worth it.
sneem
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Tom Roster had an article on copper plated and nickle plated shot within the last year. Bottom line was all the so called copper plated shot is actually only washed and patterns no better than the shot underneath. Usually softer than magnum and not very good. Not worth the money. There are only two nickle plated shot brands worth the money. The old Winchester Luballoy shot hasn't been made for decades and the current Fiocchi nickle plated shot is not available to reloaders. Just stay with hard magnum shot.
The arguement that plated shot penetrates better is a point of contention. Some think it does, others disagree.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:02 am  Reply with quote

I just want to know when your going to start mass marketing your organic, bio-degradable, wad filler! (The toto)

Shocked

What's the bag limit on dragonflies in Texas?

I actually love the cereal solution.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Mike, I love it!!
When I started reloading all brass hulls, I used a variety of powder, wads and shot. I pattern tested most of one summer and my best 16 gauge patterns came from SR4756, card and fiber wads and nickel plated shot. I don't know if the NP shot that I buy from BPI is harder/softer than the other shot that I tried, but with card and fiber wads the pattern board showed a definite improvement. I also use card and fiber wads and NP shot when loading 28 gauge. My 12 and 20 gauge loads pattern best with 1-piece plastic wads. I don't load NP in 12 or 20 gauge because I saw no appreciable pattern improvement. I will continue to spend the extra $ for NP shot and I will pattern each purchase to ensure that nothing has changed. Below: 16 Ga, RMC hulls loaded with C&F wads and 1 oz. of#6 NP shot.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Gotta be honest, I haven't ever been able to prove that the plated shot we have had over the last 20 years is superior at anything but separating you from your money.

The original Winchester Lubaloy and Lawrence plated was better, the stuff we have now just looks pretty.

I switched to magnum lead for my hunting loads a long time ago and I haven't ever thought I would have killed a bird if I was using plated.

Shot placement is king, plated shot is for those looking for gimmicks.

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Shot placement is king, plated shot is for those looking for gimmicks.

What he said.
Jeff
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Precision Reloading has nickle plated magnum shot Bpi has n plates standard lead shot. Lubaloy had a heavy copper layer put on hard shot. I have shot a lot of geese at some impressive distances with it in BB out of a 10ga. the plated shot available after Lubaloy was discontinued did not work as well. I use mag lead for legal lead game.and heviShot for waterfowl

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
scraggley
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Many of us do not shoot enough patterns to personally prove or disprove the advantages or disadvantages of plated shot. Tests by those who do run a lot of test patterns seems to indicate no advantages of plated over lead shot. That being said , I have to say I like plated shot, I also like lead shot and for ducks and geese I like nice shot. I use them all. I do believe that the plated shot penetrates better then lead. Notice I said believe, and that's the overriding factor for me. Off topic I know that Nice Shot penetrates better then steel. Plated shot looks pretty and I use it when I have a supply on hand.
Art

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:23 am  Reply with quote

On my hunting trips out west I use nickel plated shot exclusively, either Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5 or #6 or my #7 handloads. My hunting buddy uses copper plated shot. On those birds we both shoot at, we can check the shot to determine who really dropped the bird. The colorful discussions are still a lot of fun, but we can actually resolve the issue.

jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:27 am  Reply with quote

"Shot Placement is King", a statement that I agree with. I have spent a lot of time on my pattern board and after discovering loads that pattern great, two of which use card and fiber wads and nickel plated shot. These loads and others have given me confidence that what comes out of my barrels will do the job. And that confidence has improved my wing shooting.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

I like plated shot. Started off by shooting those old buffered loads of copper sixes in Federal Premium for gobblers. Settled a few questions regarding my shooting prowess by picking copper plated shot out of charity tournament rabbits, and really enjoy nickle plated fiochis out of my 28 gauge. I use plated shot for hunting and will most likely use the hardest shot I can find when I start loading for clays.

These boys I shoot with drop their own shot and grade it by size and shoot it exclusively. Some off it is tear shaped and most is from melted wheel weights. I've never seen their patterns but I see lots of mangled claybirds.

Reno

kgb
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

My plated stuff is factory Remington Premier 12ga loads of #6s. I keep thinking I should find a way to dig out the shot and replace it with regular old lead just to shoot up, and load the recovered plated shot for 16ga patterning. Seems like too much work as my memory of that shot is a couple of them found highly deformed up against a pheasant backbone. Then again, they did kill that bird.