16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  First 16 advice
Zagmann
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am looking into getting a 16ga SxS. Actually will be my first 16 and first SxS. One with hammers has me the most intrigued. Problem is that I have very little knowledge of older guns, and a limited budget (cheap) to work with. Mostly it would be used for pheasant hunting.
What to look for, what to avoid?
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks
gjw
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum! Great folks here and very helpful. So...the first thing to help you is to narrow down a couple things. The first, what is your price range? That will help us get you started. After this we can help you find what your looking for.

Again, Welcome aboard!

Greg
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Zagmann,

Welcome on your first posting
Most hammer guns were made a LONG time ago and have short chambers and softer steel barrels. Many are not up to today's pressures of modern ammo.

RST does make and sell short ammo with reduced pressures more many of these older guns

If you do get one, insist on no pitting in barrels, on face, and in great condition. In this way you will know the gun had proper care.

Again
Welcome
Mike

p.s. not much to pick from here

http://www.gunbroker.com/Side-By-Side-Shotguns/BI.aspx?Keywords=16++hammer

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Hi zagmann, To my way of thinking it's the gun's weight, feel and balance that makes a 16 gauge SxS a joy to shoot. Handle as many SxS's that you can and if possible shoot the guns and let the gun choose you.
drcook
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

If you can stand a new one and budget for it, I hunted with a friend carrying one of the new CZ 16ga Sxs guns. It was English stocked and handled quite nice for him. I believe it was choked I-C and Mod

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

DR
Did it have hammers???
I thought the Classic Hammer was only in 12 gauge
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-hammer-classic-12-30-5-choke-tubes/
Mike

Zagmann
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

I'd like to stay under $500, but maybe stretch a little if a really good deal came up. Not sure what that will get me in this niche.
Unfortunately they are hard to find in my area so it's tough to really see and feel a variety of these guns. Internet and pics are my best resources, unfortunately hands on is tough to come by.
I did look at i think a cz ringneck, nice gun, but something about the nostalgia of a hammer gun.
drcook
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:32 am  Reply with quote

No, it didn't have hammers. I was just throwing out my 2 cents worth to give an alternative choice if the OP's first choice doesn't come to fruition.

Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:46 am  Reply with quote

At your price range you can find a Husqvarna Model 17 or 20 underlever action with steel barrels and 2 1/2 inch chambers.

Or maybe even a Husky Model 51 toplever, a lighter and better handling (In my opinion) gun with steel barrels and 2 1/2 inch chambers.

Check out www.simpsonltd.com That's where most of my hammerguns came from.
Click on long guns in the categories box and then shotguns. It might take awhile but check every day. Nice ones don't last long on this site.

I can understand your nostalgia for hammer guns. There are 8 living in my gun safe. Embarassed .

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
Zagmann
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:00 am  Reply with quote

Rick-
Great info and some really nice looking guns you have there. (Any chance you want to part with one?!)
I just checked that link (Simpson) and did see a few model 20's $100-$200 range. One had missing screws on hammers, but states mechanically fine. Not sure how the hammers would work without screws?

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?cPath=350_354_367&products_id=13085
Carlos
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:07 am  Reply with quote

Buying a used gun always has risks. If you are not knowledgeable about double shotguns, buy new or take an expert friend with you. If you are on excellent terms with a dealer you trust, that would be a bonus. At least, negotiate a return policy. Don't risk more than you can afford to lose.

To a examine a used gun;
1. avoid damascus barrels, unless expertly examined.
2. make sure the action is tight, easier said than done. Take off the fore end, clutch the butt under your arm and twist the barrel group while watching the joint at the breach. If there is any movement, put it back. This is still not 100% sure, as a common "fix" for old guns is to hammer the locking surfaces to temporarily tighten it up. - careful!
3. carefully look for cracks where the butt stock joins the action. Also, old guns may have oil-softening of the wood in the same area, which is not always obvious.

Bottom line. Buy new!

I too have all those Husqvarna models mentioned by Rick(and a few more), but you still have to be careful. For those underlevers, a temporary fix for a loose action was to bend the main lever upwards to give the illusion of tightness.[/i]
sharps4590
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

I fear that unless you can find a good Husky you may have cut yourself a tall order in that price range. 16 bore doubles aren't hard to find but good 16 bore hammer doubles are....in my experience. I too suffer from too many soft spots on my head for hammer doubles. I'll also give Simpson's a 2nd.

I dink around with a lot of old German drillings and combination guns and from what I've learned Carlos and skeetx gave you good advice....well, everyone did actually. From the price you mentioned a drilling is a ways from your upper limit but there are lots of good hammer drillings out there in 16 bore. If you watch, occasionally a really nice one can be picked up well worth the money but do a lot of research.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. Romans 1:22

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Zagmann wrote:
Hi all,
I am looking into getting a 16ga SxS. Actually will be my first 16 and first SxS. One with hammers has me the most intrigued. Problem is that I have very little knowledge of older guns, and a limited budget (cheap) to work with. Mostly it would be used for pheasant hunting.
What to look for, what to avoid?
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

I advise caution here. Acquiring old double guns for shooting is a pastime which requires a fair amount of knowledge if you want to avoid getting into trouble. This can be especially true when buying older doubles with or without hammers on the cheap. I think you could easily spend a few years researching the subject in your spare time before you would know enough to be able know what's a true bargain with any confidence.

I suggest you look for a modern double first. There are a few good ones on the market which which can be bought for about $600 and up. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for only if you know what you are looking at. Sellers generally don't make good teachers. Just how it is. Good luck.
gloftness
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Zagmann,
Maybe before you buy, you should try to get to a SXS shoot and get the opportunity to handle a few different guns. Not sure where you're at, but you might be surprised about the number of people that will let you handle and shoot their guns. We'er all different and what fits me might be awful for you.

Come to the 16ga shoot in May in Minnesota and you'll get a chance to shoot several different guns.

Greg
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Theyre out there and worth the energy it takes to search. good luck!