16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  A couple of wad questions
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

Came across a stash of Federal hulls in my garage cabinet. The older ones with the paper base wad. I believe this is a pretty roomier hull than many others. What's the best wad for these in a 1 - 1 1/8 oz load? And for loads that call for the old WAA16 wad, ( in any hull), can the Claybuster clone be substituted?

Thanks

Matt
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

2 wads for 1 oz 16 Gauge loads are either the Gualandi or Bascheri & Pellagri, both are sold by Precision Reloading, Grafs and by Ballistics Products. There maybe more places to buy them.

The Remington SP16 will work with a coarse flake powder like 800-X for 1 1/8 oz. loads.

The Winchester clone might work with the fine grained powder, but I never liked the wad for 1 1/8 oz. loads.

Maybe someone else can be more help with the WAA16 clone info.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

The AA 16 wad and Unique have always given me good results w/a 1 oz load.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
... And for loads that call for the old WAA16 wad, ( in any hull), can the Claybuster clone be substituted?

Thanks

Matt

Yup. the clone wad is a duplicate for all practical purposes.
rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:58 am  Reply with quote

Not sure about 16 gauge, but I know that the Claybuster for 12 gauge is a direct replacement for the WAA12s. I was able to buy some 800X and will be using that with the SP16s for my 1 1/8 oz skeet loads. There are loads listed for the 1 oz too with that combination.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies and advice!

Matt
Duct Tape
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
2 wads for 1 oz 16 Gauge loads are either the Gualandi or Bascheri & Pellagri, both are sold by Precision Reloading, Grafs and by Ballistics Products. There maybe more places to buy them.

The Remington SP16 will work with a coarse flake powder like 800-X for 1 1/8 oz. loads.

The Winchester clone might work with the fine grained powder, but I never liked the wad for 1 1/8 oz. loads.

Maybe someone else can be more help with the WAA16 clone info.

Mark, new here and starting to look at 1 1/8oz reloads. Coarse powder for the SP16 b/c hull needs to be filled and fine powder for the AA wad for the opposite reason? Or is it something else?
thx

Jon
JMS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Pretty sure Mark is referring to powder migration that will occur if you load the straight-walled Federal hull with the SP16. The wad is a loose fit in that hull and fine powders like 7625, Longshot, etc., will slip pass the gas seal at the bottom of the wad. I made the mistake of using this hull/wad combination with Longshot in 1 11/8oz load some time ago. After carrying the shells around in a vest for a day, lots of powder along the sides of the wad and even in the shot cup. Even had a blooper round and wad stick in my barrel...definitely got my attention. 800-X and Blue Dot will work with this wad and hull combo.
Duct Tape
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks JMS. I have a lot of experience with pistol loads for IPSC and single action revolvers, and various rifle loads including weatherby 300 & 340, and .223. But the only shotgun load I've ever used is for my 20 ga field load with AA hulls and wads and HS-6. I'm guessing those wads fit well since I've never heard of powder migration.

I've read most shotgun reloading books but it looks like I've more to learn.

My first choice for 16 would be to use my once fired Federal hulls so may look at AA clone wads or others mentioned above, got 1 1/8 oz loads.

Do fiocchi or cheddite hulls (assuming Federal hulls don't work out and my Grandad's garage doesn't have a hidden stash of AA hulls) have any similar wad figment issues?
Duct Tape
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Duct Tape wrote:
Thanks JMS. I have a lot of experience with pistol loads for IPSC and single action revolvers, and various rifle loads including weatherby 300 & 340, and .223. But the only shotgun load I've ever used is for my 20 ga field load with AA hulls and wads and HS-6. I'm guessing those wads fit well since I've never heard of powder migration.

I've read most shotgun reloading books but it looks like I've more to learn.

My first choice for 16 would be to use my once fired Federal hulls so may look at AA clone wads or others mentioned above, got 1 1/8 oz loads.

Do fiocchi or cheddite hulls (assuming Federal hulls don't work out and my Grandad's garage doesn't have a hidden stash of AA hulls) have any similar wad figment issues?

Just found this earlier thread which seems to answer my question

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16939
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:34 am  Reply with quote

My 1st trip to MOO , I used some new untried 1oz loads using the AA clone and I think Nitro . The one time I coulda shined , had a really bad blooper . Stopped using those and went to a tried and true load and was good thereafter . Looked closer at the loads when home , and the smaller/ish powder and loose wad was NG . Stick with the G-wads for your use and you'll LOVE IT ! (one of the bad things about a blooper when you are 3 mis from the car is a stuck wad . DON'T test this ! )

Duct Tape
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Thanks.

Looking at this and the other linked thread, can I safely assume that the Remington hull and Sp16 wad are a good fit (seems to make sense from same manufacturer)?

I'm looking at the best combos for 1 1/8oz loads and learning there's more to it than just looking at the spreadsheet recipes.

_ Jon
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Jon,

Like you I have been learning as I go and trying to avoid as many problems as I can. I have used the SP16 in these ways without trouble:

1 1/8 oz in Cheddite hulls (Winchester, Cheddite, or Herters) with 800x powder.
1 1/8 oz in Federal hulls with 800x powder.
1 oz or 1 1/8 oz Remington hulls without concern with powders (fit is better).

I have not used the SP16 in Fiocchi, but would use the 800x powder in that case as well. I understand Green Dot would be large enough to use, but there are not a lot of published loads for this combo.

I view the SP16 as my go to 1 1/8 oz wad.
I view the Z16 as my go to 1 1/16 oz wad (In Ched only).
I view the CB100 as my go to 1 oz wad (I am using SG16 with Fio, Ched, Fed).
I view the DR16 as my go to 7/8 oz wad (I think the new CB078 will become my future go to in the case of Rem).
I view the VP80 as my go to 3/4 or 7/8 oz steel loads (I am looking into the 1627 wad from Precision Reloading, but that will not be until next Fall).

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Duct Tape
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Thank you Charlie. That was very helpful info.

- Jon
Duct Tape
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Charlie and others,

How does the 7625 powder work with your suggestions? Specifically powder migration, but also bushing metering.

I have two 8lb containers of it left after I stopped shooting IPSC. I understand from reading on brianenos.com that IMR may be stopping both it and 4756.