16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  "Friends" that treat your guns improperly?
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

I've just red a posting where a gunowner loaned a high quality gun to a friend, only to have the gun returned with extensive surface rust. While I haven't had anyone return a gun rusted I have had people misuse some of my guns in the following ways:
1. Hunter education student opens cylinder on M29 then spins the cylinder and flips his wrist to snap the cylinder shut. Behaviors learned from TV.
2. Hunter education student opens break action shotgun then to close it whips the gun to snap the action closed. Student said his uncle said that was the way to make sure the action was closed.

Both of these students became examples to the class as to how to fail.

and the worst in my book,

A friend of my dads borrowed his 300 Weatherby for an out of state elk hunt he was taking. this was in the early 60's when 300 magnums were scarce. On returning from the hunt he brought the rifle by the house, during the day. Dad was at work, so mom told the friend to put the rifle back in the gun cabinet. When my dad got home that evening he went out to the gun cabinet, picked the rifle up, opened and action and a live chambered round ejected across the room. Three more rounds were in the magazine. Fortunately for my dad's safe habits, no one was injured in this event. the friend never got to borrow a rifle again.
GWP
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

I have not had that with a shotgun but I could tell you a story about an expensive guitar I loaned to a friend I trusted. It was the last time I loaned a guitar to anyone.
I did sell a pristine Dan Wesson 357 Pistol Pack to a friend that asked me to look at it a year later because he thought it had a crack. Turns out it was the line in the side plate he was seeing that was peaking through the thick rust from the gun sitting in his wet trunk for a year without being looked at it or touched. I was sick.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Everybody I loaned a gun to took very good care of them. I had a friend who's wife would not allow a gun in the house (go figure) use my Remington model 17, and become frustrated because he didn't realise he had to give the front wood a little shove forward before he could pump it, after the shot.
I think he just held on to it too tight.
I have two Mossberg 500s that stand in as loaners these days. One has lived a hard life, and was given to me, I'm not terribly concerned how it comes back. But, cleaned and empty would be great!

Best,
Ted

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
A friend of my dads borrowed his 300 Weatherby for an out of state elk hunt he was taking. this was in the early 60's when 300 magnums were scarce. On returning from the hunt he brought the rifle by the house, during the day. Dad was at work, so mom told the friend to put the rifle back in the gun cabinet. When my dad got home that evening he went out to the gun cabinet, picked the rifle up, opened and action and a live chambered round ejected across the room. Three more rounds were in the magazine. Fortunately for my dad's safe habits, no one was injured in this event. the friend never got to borrow a rifle again.

I was present when a friend had that happen. He'd loaned his 30-06 to a friend for a deer hunt and got it back. We were in his shop when he uncased it to show me, opened the bolt and a live round ejected from the chamber. Evil or Very Mad The safety was off, too. Shocked

Like with your dad, that was the last time that friend loaned any gun to that other guy.
JNW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

The number of friends I would loan a gun to is incredibly short. The guys I shoot with all take excellent care of their guns and are respectful of other people's guns. I wouldn't hang out with any who did not act this way.
Regards,
Jeff
JonP
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't loan a gun to a friend....and I care about my friends too much to loan them a gun.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

Never loan a gun or chain saw to a friend or relative----
gunsrus
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:54 am  Reply with quote

If I loan a gun , I look at it as if I'm giving it away . I don't loan too many ! Sad
3crosses
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:32 am  Reply with quote

I always take a couple of guns with me on all hunts.
One of which is the one I want to shoot.
Most times a 16, but I do shoot a couple of 20s I have.
The spare is a Benelli Nova 12 bore.
I have had a few times I or a friend have had to use it for the hunt. I have also lent it out to a couple of friends that had their guns at the smiths.

No one ever seems to mess up the Benelli.

Now my doubles never get lent out. That includes vertical and horizontal barreled doubles.
jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:04 am  Reply with quote

I have let friends and relatives use my shotguns and all have treated them properly. I have a hunting buddy and I would be reluctant to let him even hold my shotgun. He had a 16 GA Parker on an O frame and after unloading it he used it to hold down the barbed wire when he crosse fences, He also used it as a walking staff and set in down on the ground with no concerns about metal or wood. Not to worry, the Parker now belongs to another buddy who has restored it and takes good care of the gun.
T-Bone
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:13 am  Reply with quote

My late Father to me in childhood: "Never loan your gun, your dog or your wife to anyone, Kid…In about that order."

Inspite of that sage advice, on shared hunts, I have loaned a couple guns out to people I hoped to instile the "Hunting Bug"; I lived to regret it. One former co-worker put a hairline crack in the for end of a BPS and on another hunt, in the duck blind, I caught him pushing HARD on the action release button of my already loaded, Benilli SBE. The gun never worked right afterward.

Having a "beater" around for such occasions is a great idea.

Tom

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:18 am  Reply with quote

You usually know who you can or can't loan to . I too have a real short list . Some of the kids can , some can't . Most of the guys I shoot targets with are fine - others , nope ! One of the delinquent kids routed back here from a stay in Calif . Saw the 870 in the corner ,pumped it open , then holding only the FE , Slammed it closed like Arnold ! Had him by the collar so fast , he didn't/wouldn't have known what hit him . Didn't have a clue what I was mad about . Only mildly ack what I was saying after screaming at him for 10 mins . never touched another gun though !

Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Add lawnmower to the list of things not to lend to friends and neighbors.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:33 am  Reply with quote

and chainsaws

GWP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:11 am  Reply with quote

While not technically a 'loan' my neighbor asked to borrow a chain saw to cut a very large stump down that had Ivy all over it. Rather then loan I told him I would do it.
I broke out the 'big' (32" bar) saw and started cutting. Big noise, ruined chain and bar. Neighbor said "Oh yeah, forgot to tell you there is a cut off cable that goes through the tree". Nice. Did not offer to help pay for any of it.