16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  "Friends" that treat your guns improperly?
Woody402
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
RENO , dad used the reverse on mom when I was a kid . We'd shoot backyard clays routinely . Eventually , mom would show up with her little short barrel m37 and want to participate . Dad always had a heavy pheas load just in case . He'd load er up , she'd touch her off and then had no INTEREST in shooting it or the 97's thereafter . Cruel , maybe , but quite effective !

I won't ask to shoot the pink panther. Haven't seen you shooting it lately?
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:31 am  Reply with quote

The PINK PANTHER will probably be out next week - still working on a couple gun "THINGS" that need work . 28 mostly

Woody402
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:58 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
The PINK PANTHER will probably be out next week - still working on a couple gun "THINGS" that need work . 28 mostly

I want to find a 16 that would be suitable for skeet. Everything I have is choked mod.
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:02 am  Reply with quote

3crosses wrote:
I have a friend who travels a few times a year.
I take care of his dogs when he travels.
One dog is a Boykin and this dog stays at my house. His other 3 are setters. They stay in his kennels while he is gone.
He has told me a number of times to take his dogs out and go hunt with them whenever I want.
I told him I would feel absolutely horrible if something happened to one of the dogs while I was out hunting them. So I have never borrowed them.
Never will.

I don't think you are being to cautious. Regardless of how an injury or worse could happen to one of them, there would possibly be a lingering resentment and I understand how you'd feel. A buddy borrowed a hog dog, a "catch" dog, from another friend and a hog killed the dog. It's a recognizable risk, but a bad thing to happen nonetheless. Gil
bearman49709
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:01 am  Reply with quote

Two Pipe Shoot wrote:
We keep a mossberg 500 3.5" 12 and a box of 3.5" sixes as a downpour/ loaner gun for use on our hunts only, no traveling. You shoot that one a time or two and you won't borrow it again. Reno

Who did you get to convert that 500 to shoot 3.5" and how much did it cost?

I feel sorry for most of you, your friends and relatives must be some real winners. I've borrowed and loaned cars, trucks, four wheelers,guns,tools.chainsaws and lawn mowers for over forty years never had one regret.
lwr_
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Who in their right minds would loan a firearm out to anyone and then expect it back in good condition. Never, never loan a gun to anyone. Same advise for a car.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

bearman49709 wrote:
Two Pipe Shoot wrote:
We keep a mossberg 500 3.5" 12 and a box of 3.5" sixes as a downpour/ loaner gun for use on our hunts only, no traveling. You shoot that one a time or two and you won't borrow it again. Reno

Who did you get to convert that 500 to shoot 3.5" and how much did it cost?

I feel sorry for most of you, your friends and relatives must be some real winners. I've borrowed and loaned cars, trucks, four wheelers,guns,tools.chainsaws and lawn mowers for over forty years never had one regret.

I think he meant Mossberg model 835. Not much different than a model 500, save 3 1/2" chamber. My Dad had one, my Brother and I sold it after Dad passed away. Recoil was pretty brutal with 3 1/2" ammunition.

I can't figure out why anyone would want to chase their Mother or significant other away from shooting. I wish I could get my wife more interested in being outdoors with us, and more interested in shooting. I married her because I like having her around!
If someone new or inexperienced to the sport came to you for help learning, and borrowing a gun to shoot to learn if the sport was for them, why would you brutalize them by giving them a gun you knew would hurt them?
Also, over the years I have been priviledged to introduce some hesitant mothers and their gun safety training student kids to shooting, and can say the experience made me a better person. The two model 500s I have are the perfect loaners and training guns, safety in the correct place, easy function, not much outlay on my part (one was free!). Load 'em up with Winchester Featherlites, and get people started right.
Do you guys really treat people like that? Handing them a gun with a load in it that you know will hurt them? People like your Wives and Mothers? My Dad was not above a little ribbing or joking with my Mother, but, he would have expected me to straighten anyone who deliberately hurt her out, including him.

And, I would have.

Somedays, I really can't believe what I read on the internet.

I have no doubt it is true, but, I still can't believe it.

Best,
Ted

Last edited by Ted Schefelbein on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

lwr_ wrote:
Who in their right minds would loan a firearm out to anyone and then expect it back in good condition. Never, never loan a gun to anyone. Same advise for a car.

I'm not sure if I'm ever in my right mind. However, I will lend guns to friends I know will treat them right. Never had an issue. As with your guns, choose you're friends wisely.

Matt
IDcut
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:25 am  Reply with quote

I've never loaned a gun to anyone, other than my brother and I'm usually with him hunting, when I loan it to him.

I owned an 11' Zodiac with a 9.9 Evinrude motor, I loaned to a guy a number of years ago. I shipped it into Anchorage, where he lived, for him to take to Kodiak, deer hunting.

I eventually had to bug him about sending it back to me, in W AK. When I finally got it back, it had a nice hole in it. He never mentioned it to me and when I asked him about it, I got some lame excuse, that I don't even remember what it was-no offer to help pay for the patching of it either.
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:39 am  Reply with quote

IDcut, your post reminded me of the time I loaned our Old Town Tripper to a friend. The canoe was in excellent condition when loaned and came back with the bottom and sides scratched from being tied in shallow water and rocking back and forth on a sandy/rocky bottom.
Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:11 am  Reply with quote

I haven't thought of this in years. I lent a cabin tent to someone who folded it up wet and returned it a month latter. It had rotted through. On the bright side, he never asked to borrow a tent from me again. And do you think he offered to pay for it?
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:

I can't figure out why anyone would want to chase their Mother or significant other away from shooting. I wish I could get my wife more interested in being outdoors with us, and more interested in shooting. I married her because I like having her around!
If someone new or inexperienced to the sport came to you for help learning, and borrowing a gun to shoot to learn if the sport was for them, why would you brutalize them by giving them a gun you knew would hurt them?

That one had me shaking my head too Ted. Just glad it was a family anecdote, not the act of someone here.

Jay
JT
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Hey Ted,

+1 !!

JT
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
... I can't figure out why anyone would want to chase their Mother or significant other away from shooting. I wish I could get my wife more interested in being outdoors with us, and more interested in shooting. I married her because I like having her around!
... Somedays, I really can't believe what I read on the internet.

I have no doubt it is true, but, I still can't believe it.

Best,
Ted

Gawd, I cannot believe those folks would be deliberately provoking development of the dreaded Classic Mother-BB Gun Block ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppOXpyhM2wA ) by mistreating Mom when she wanted to shoot.

http://quotegeek.com/quotes-from-movies/a-christmas-story/658/
IDcut
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:40 am  Reply with quote

My daughter and I were visiting my parents about a year ago. On the counter was my dad's 357 Ruger Blackhawk. I asked him what was up, with having the 357 out.

He said he was loaning it to their Paster, who wanted to go do some recreational shooting. In the meantime, I asked my daughter if she wanted to shoot it a few times, which to my surprise she said "yes."

I noticed in the box was a mix of 38 Special and 357 rounds. I shot one of each 1st to determine recoil, before loading it with a single 38 round for my daughter to shoot.

She said she enjoyed her 1st time shooting a centerfire handgun, however I'm not sure if she would have enjoyed it as much if I'd have loaded the hot 357 reloads.