16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Last Day of Woodcock for me
Jbgregory
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:43 am  Reply with quote

[URL=http://s567.photobucket.com/user/2730NWayne/media/b5bf994d-fedd-43cf-b6e5-5e6aa5f8ae7b_zps2f3b4c8d.jpg.html] [/URL]

Dressed in the "continental style" for roasting...

The ground was frozen and had been for a while so I was not expecting to find these 2 in my preferred spot, thinking they moved further toward Louisiana. With each passing hunting season, I grow more fond of getting out in the woods with my dog, nostalgic for an era with more birds and more time - as evidenced by the 16 gauge in my hands. This site has truly been an inspiration and I am very thankful for it and the personalities who dwell here.

Best,
Jamie
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:08 am  Reply with quote

Jamie
Great picture
Thank you for sharing
Mike

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:27 am  Reply with quote

A first for me. Those birds appear to be drawn. What is the process from there? As a boy in Pennsylvania, I remember my family always struggled to make Woodcock palatable (when compared to ruffed grouse). By the time I was old enough to hunt, the numbers of birds had declined so drastically that the issue was never resolved. I finally killed my first Timberdoodle in Minnesota in my 50s (It's probably still in our freezer somewhere). I know that our birds are much smaller than the European birds and that that we don't tend to appreciate them as much as they do across the pond. Is roasting them the answer?

Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:00 am  Reply with quote

That's the traditional French preparation although the guts would still be there I believe. Lot of patience to pluck those birds that way. I usually trim the meat from breasts, disjoint thigh from back bone and sautee in olive oil. This season so far has kicked my butt. Hopefully it picks up as it usually does late season. My woodcocking ends at month's end. One flush, one shot, and one miss. A perfect season. I've had 3 other wild flushes. My dog is getting to wonder what we are doing in the woods. Gil
Jbgregory
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd,
I wrap them in bacon, add sweet potatoes to pan, brush with melted butter and bake/roast at 400 or 425 for 30 minutes. I do think this is the best way to eat them. Plenty of videos on YouTube.

I removed guts although it does not seem to matter. And of course, I share the birds with my dog, Lt. Dan.
Jbgregory
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Gil,
W have been successful during dry conditions - 2 days no rain - in areas of transition in the woods. Old growth giving way to young growth for about 20 yards then back to old growth. I am guessing there are plenty of worms in these areas. I hope your season improves. My father-in-law has a pine tree farm in Metter, GA where there are a few quail and plenty of turkey. Perhaps we can shoot some together in the future.
Best,
Jamie
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Gregory: Thank you for that. I hope to try that someday.

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

As a kid I wasn't quite quick enough to be much good at quail, so woodcock were more my speed,but never heard why /if you would want to eat them if not accompanying Bear Grylls? I know the French have been fixin vittles for a while,but leaving the guts in? I've read de la Valdene, and really enjoy his amblings ,but have any Americans survived such contamination o game bird? My mind ,though weak, "son ouverture"!
Good to see you enjoy getting out into the woods . Thanks for sharing. Nice skillet,too

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I age my pheasant with the entrails in them (if not badly shot-up). About 100 hours at ~40 degrees F seems to work wonders for making them good table fare. I discovered this purely by accident after I came home from Kansas with a bad case of the flu. There aren't many birds I'd do that with, but I pretty much wouldn't do my pheasant any other way now.

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
Well, I age my pheasant with the entrails in them (if not badly shot-up). About 100 hours at ~40 degrees F seems to work wonders for making them good table fare. I discovered this purely by accident after I came home from Kansas with a bad case of the flu. There aren't many birds I'd do that with, but I pretty much wouldn't do my pheasant any other way now.

What is different? Taste, tenderness,both? Bird guts are bird guts. Educate us on why only pheasant? Dark(sharp tail,ducks, woodcock) vs light( grouse, bobwhite, pheasants)?

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

Well, pheasant has always been a challenge to make well for us. They are just tough old buggers. 100 hours makes cleaning a bird almost smell neutral. The meat goes from pale white to a light pink. Upon cooking the bird, it will likely be fork tender (and not tough and chewy). Ageing birds is very common in Europe, but not here. Most birds are easy to prepare for us, just not ditch parrots.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

I age my game at 34 degrees, cleaned, for several days. A separate fridge in the garage is good for this. Makes a big difference when butchering deer. Hanging game to season is a part of the upland legacy I choose to skip, but I remember a black man who used to go to tree for the raccoons our hounds treed, and would toss a dead coon under his bed at home to bloat before he cleaned him days later. Same process I guess, I just can't get past the smell. As our sense of smell is a major part of the taste sensation, aging game with a belly full of activity doesn't turn my crank. Reno

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:52 am  Reply with quote

JB , part of the outcome is that they LOOK good ! Those plump little suckers LOOK really good - hope they were !

Jbgregory
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:36 am  Reply with quote

Oh they were good! Much better than breasts-only, wrapped in bacon on grill - my preferred quail recipe. Key though with roasting is keeping moist, using plenty of fat.
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

Enjoy! Eat slowly. Roll that fat around on your tongue.Only memories and dog work till next fall!