16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Number 7 shot size
chad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:36 am  Reply with quote

What is the actual hunting/killing/penetration difference between the #7 1/2 shot size and the #7? And how would the #6 shot size compare to the #7 and vice verse. I have no experience with 7's. With the hunting that I do I definitely see/notice the increased killing power of 6's vs 7 1/2's especially in small gauge firearms, like the 28ga. A lot of times the 7 1/2 just seems like not enough power, increased cripples and the dog running down wounded game. Where as the 6's knocks them dead. Would the increases pellet count of the 7's vs the 6's in 3/4oz load be worth the trouble? Would the 7's be ultimate shot size with a balance of pellet count and energy?

Last edited by chad on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Tough questions. Many years ago I bought a lifetime supply of #7 shot and use it for huns, chukar and mountain grouse. I have done penetration tests and don't have or remember the specifics. I built a fixture that held 20 1/4" pieces of common cardboard vertically and shot various shot sizes at the same velocity. As expected better penetration was seen in the following order #5 1/2, #6, #7 and #7 1/2. My hunting loads exclude #7 1/2, but I do use #8 for dove.
I shoot 3/4, 7/8, 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

With no scientific proof to back me up, just experience....I have hunted and still hunt in places where you are just as likely to find quail as you are pheasants and have used #7's for the first load successfully on both. I cant say if they would kill a pheasant at longer ranges because I haven't ever used them as the second shot. But 7's will kill a pheasant out to 30 yards with no issue and quail as far as you dare to shoot at them.

There is a difference between 7's and 7 1/2's but not night and day.

As with payloads, chokes, velocities etc. you are playing the percentages and when you use a slightly larger pellet you have increased pellet energy and decreased pattern density. The proof as to whether it works or not for you, will show itself when YOU try it. Everybody has different experiences when it comes to killing birds.

There are only 2 lead pellet sizes that I use for upland and those are 7's and 6's. the smaller pellets will work, but from my experience a load of 8's or 9's can really put a bunch of holes in a bird, that don't need to be there.

As for any 3/4 oz. load, I would definitely use 7's for the first shot over 7 1/2's or 6's......just my view from the cheap seats.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

I've used #7 shot for both 16 and 28 gauge close range, light duty early season pheasant and later season grouse loads at approximately 1200-1250 FPS in the past with some success. 7/8 ounces of #7 shot provides approximately 200 pellets per load. 200 pellets is considered adequate for taking pheasant and grouse sized birds at moderate ranges out to 30 yards max if the selected chokes are also appropriate for effective pattern densities. IC and Mod are about perfect in my experience or IC if I'm using a repeater.

I agree with DC that #7.5 and smaller shot sizes often provide too much pattern density if shot loads exceed 3/4 ounces and are used at closer ranges on pheasant sized birds. These smaller pellets don't pack enough punch past 20 yards unless birds are head shot. #7.5 loads result in either shot up birds or cripples in my pheasant hunting experience. None for me thanks.

However, I've regularly hunted ruffed grouse and wild or holdover quail with 3/4 ounces of 7.5 shot in the same two gauges used with Cylinder and Skeet chokes, Skeet and Skeet, Skeet and IC, or simply Skeet in a repeater. I've also frequently taken stocked quail, snipe, and rail in close with 1/2 or 5/8 ounces of #8 or #8.5 shot out of a .410 choked Skeet/IC (.002" and .005") with excellent success.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

the ONLY significant difference is the number of pellets per once

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

as with Dogchaser, I am likely to encounter, pheasants, quail and maybe a prairie chicken, or in Dakotas, sharpies/huns/pheasants. #7 will work fine especially first barrel, followed by a dose of #5 1/2's.
Those are my choices, have had no issues.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch.....where do you get the 5 1/2's? Or is this factory stuff?

jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

My pheasant loads are:

1 #6 NP 1328 fps SR4756 32 gr. 7440 psi
1 1/8 # 5 1/2 NP 1325 fps SR4756 32 gr, 9620 psi
Unfortunately, SR4756 is being discontinued and when I run out of powder, it will be time to search and pattern. I use NP shot in only these two loads with card and fiber wads. I buy the nickel plated shot from BPI and I don't know how hard it is, but the patterns are great.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

DC37 -- you can get 5 1/2's by carefully selecting them from your bags of 5's and 6's. You've got a micrometer, right? Well worth the effort.

By the way, I believe in the odd integer sizes 3, 5, and 7. Seriously, now. Of course I don't shy away from 6's and 4's too much, but I never shoot anything smaller than a 7 at game, unless "game" is a dove, or the gun is a .410, and then never smaller than an 8. I guess that's the only niche for 7 1/2's as far as I'm concerned. It even bothers me to shoot a 7 1/2 now and then. I try to sort them out. I just don't like non-whole numbers.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:15 am  Reply with quote

chad wrote:
Would the 7's be ultimate shot size with a balance of pellet count and energy?

From my experience, yes, another reason I evolved to the 16 from 20ga, I've found that 1oz of NP #7 (~300 pellets) takes care of everything I hunt in the uplands. Albeit in all the years of stumbling through the woods I've bumped only 1 wild Pheasant.

How I choose pellet size, load & choke; 30" circle = ~700"sqr/300 pellets=~1 pellet every 2-2.5"sqr. Then to the pattern board to choose a load or recipe & choke that as evenly as possible distributes mass of pellets within the 30" circle at the hunting distances I shoot, Skt choke ~15-25yrds & LM or Skt2 ~20-30yrds. sometimes a spreader insert helps obtain that even distribution. NP#7 works great for me on brush busted Woodies, Bunnies, Hares, Grouse & occasional Squirrel.

For wild Clay Pigeons (the put-n-take pen raised ones are a little tough and don't taste very good) it seems to me my system is holding up but have increased the pellet count little to ~320 and then it's a matter of which pellet works best for which game #9-#7.5 and which shot charge weight allows me the ~320 pellet count. 5/8-1oz, again another reason I enjoy a 16ga shotgun and reloading for it, for me it handles this range of loads best.

Strayed from my pellet count idea for some fun and loaded a box of 16ga 1 1/4oz #4 Hevishot hoping for some field Honker hunting in OH before close this weekend. I know the 10ga really knocks em down but with any luck will get a chance to let the 16ga come out and play too. Very Happy

Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

I think I bought the 5 1/2 "nickel plated" shot from BPI, but not sure.
It was expensive as it was nickel you know, didn't buy it for the nickel, but I liked the idea of a 5 1/2 shot size.
Sure like it on pheasants, not sure how much I have left, few pounds I am guessing.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Hootch, just wondered where you had gotten such an odd size.

Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:49 am  Reply with quote

At Cabelas last fall I saw a box of 20ga 1 oz Winchesters in #7. Had to rub my eyes. Didn't have it in any other gauge

mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total