16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  recoil pads- recommendations
Tanners Owner
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I am the proud owner of a new MERKEL 1622 combination with the extra 20ga barrel set. Love the gun. However, when I shota 100 rd spoorting clays event this past weekend, noticed the recoil was hammering me more than I anticipated.

Am looking for recommendations for a recoil pad that will
1) complimant this fine shotgun
2) work
3) preferably one I can install
4) If not, recommendations who can do it quickly and with quality

Thanks in advance

TJC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

I just put a Pachmayer Decelerator pad on my Citori Feather. It works and it looks good in brown. I bought the sporting clays version. It's got a little bit of hard plastic on the top to prevent snagging.

There not cheap but they are good and do work. I've been toying with the idea of putting one on my Merkel 47E just because but I can't say the recoil bothers me. So I'll most likely leave the gun original.
When the new 1620 gets here I'll check that out and may add the pad due to being a bit lighter than the 47E.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Alot of it is your personal preference. Kick-Eez and LimbSaver work great but look very 'modern.' ALL will need to be ground to fit. The Brownells London Guns English-Style pad looks very classic (I put one on my Sterly) Pachmayr's are great too. Pages of pads on the Brownells website www.brownells.com

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

No No No! For a gun of that quality you need a genuine English Leather pad. Not cheap but neither was the gun. Check out Woodcock Hill's. They're in PA and I'm sure there are others.

Matt

http://www.woodcockhill.com/work.htm
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

If you have a traditional s/s, a leather covered recoil pad somehow looks so much better than other ones. Check with Rich Cole and see what he charges for his pad.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

CF16 and Terry-you are both SOOOO right and obviously have more class and taste than this Kansan Rolling Eyes

Tanners Owner
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. Agree some of the modern styles may not be astecially nice, but may be better for my neck of the woods- the wet pacific north west. Not sure I like the idea of damp leather.

Or am I wrong with the assumption the leather will absorb moisture? I do plan to hunt with my Merkel and won't purposefully use it in bad weather, but the rain does happen to come down unexpectantly at times.

So look slike I'll need to get one a grind it down. Anyone have experience in this task that's willing to guide me through?

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Order a Silvers from Galazan and have a professional fit it. Might not hurt to have the gun fitted to you first. Poor gun fit may be the cause of your precieved recoil problem.

I think CF 16 and Terry are pulling some leg here, not sure who's but the last time I checked the cost of a leather covered recoil pad it was somewhere just shy of 3 bills.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

I won't argue that the leather would look great on that Merkel. But do they work as well as the newer nonleather ones do? I've never used a leather pad so I am asking. I may put one on the 1620 if they work as well as the Decelerator.

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Cole's shows:
Leather covered pad........................................... $295

http://www.colegun.com/gunsmithing_services.php#shotgun_work

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

How about a slip on?????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarassed Embarassed Shocked Shocked Twisted Evil
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

It's like if you have a classis MG from the 50's...plastic aluminum hubs can get you to point A to B but then just drive the Chevy Vega... A properly built leather recoil pad should cause no more maintenance than a rubber pad. I imagine after a wet day in the field, you take your gun of its slip, wait several hours to let it get to room temp. before you attempt to clean it. Just wipe the excess moisture off your bad and let it air dry. Probably at the beginning and ending of bird season, you may work a little leather conditioner on it just to keep it supple and remove any scuff marks. A properly built pad should last alot of years and it looks great!! I agree 100% about getting fitted for that gun and you should find someone who knows what they're doing. If you look at the current issue of Shooting Sportsman, there's an article on a gunmake and stock fitter out in Northern Calif by the name of Dale Tate. We're fortunate enough to have someone who worked for Purdey's and is considered one of the finest fitters in this country.
ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

I've found that 7/8oz loads and lower velocities allow me to shoot my 6lb 2 oz Merkel 1620 just fine without a recoil pad. 7/8 oz of 8's @ 1150 ish fps works just fine for sporting clays. Load low and forget the pad.
Tanners Owner
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Colorado- agree- reloading a lighter charge is also on the agenda- was using loads that cycle my sweet sixteen A5, and did expect more push, but after 100 rds, it was very noticable.

Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom

ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:24 am  Reply with quote

I’m familiar w/ the feeling. When I bought my Citori 16g, I went out and happily shot 150 targets of sporting clays on a Friday afternoon w/ some Fiocchi 1 oz loads I bought at the range. Things seemed fine. The next morning I went to shoot some more clays with a group of buddies and I knew I was in trouble after the first two stations.

I had a Kick Eez pad put on the gun. However, I always shoot from an un-mounted position and I found that the Kick Eez pad to be pretty sticky. It hung up under my armpit when I mounted. I bought some Slick Eez and coated the pad with it. It now looks like hell but doesn’t stick to clothes anymore.

I think the light sxs’s just look a lot better w/out a pad. Enjoy your Merkel. I haven’t shot the Citori since I got mine!