16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Low pressure group
claytl
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

I joined and never got the data. Is there any way I can get the low pressure load data.

Thanks

I joined the low pressure group and was told Doug Oliver was out of town and then later I was told he had passed away and someone else would be taking over. That's the last I heard. Just wondered if it was possible to get the data.

Larry

Last edited by claytl on Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:02 am  Reply with quote

When you join, you are joining a Yahoo Group called 16gaugereloaders. Get into Yahoo, and then into "Groups", and select that group. Click on that group name, and you will get a screen with a little header and choices that say: Conversations, Photos, Files and a little pull-down entitled More. Click on Files, and all the data and a lot of other stuff is there. In particular, you want a file called "16 ga loads - Updated 7-3-10.xls"

Cheers,
Tony

PS -- The thought occurred to me that you might have joined only the "16 ga Society", not the Low Pressure Reloading Group. Gotta join the Low Pressure Reloading Group to get the data and other stuff they've got. I think they were founded in conjunction with each other, but are separate organizations with a lot of the same people and interests. The Society is for general communications on the 16 gauge, and the Low Pressure Reloading Group was set up to develop and pay for the development of low pressure loads for the 16. If you want the data, it is only right you should support those who have produced it at their expense.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:03 am  Reply with quote

Trust me.......if you didn't get the data you aren't missing a thing!!! Laughing

Matter of fact you are probably ahead of the game!!

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Mark DC37,

Enlighten me on your feelings toward the LPRG's database, and the reasons. I do not mean that pejoratively in the least, my friend. I'm asking sincerely in light of your testing experience with well-established companies, and in the interests of reloaders. I take it you suspect the utility and integrity of the data from the LPRG spreadsheet. If so, you are not alone.

I recognize:

1) All data generated by that group's efforts has been published without discrimination, some with and without good/bad judgemental commentary. This is not a fatal flaw for me, but something to consider in recognition that the original purpose of that group was to develop low pressure loads thought to be more kind to old guns. I think people wanted to see the successful and not so successful results to make their own judgments.

2) Data from any and every published source has been introduced, all be it with source listed, some sources being suspect, and the results of this is a rambling database that strayed from the original purpose, and should probably only be used with some caution and forethought that may be uncommon in the average user. It's not difficult to find contradictory data there.

For my part, I find the database useful in a general way -- maybe in a hopeful way. Hope is not science, and I prefer science myself, but for events as variable and hard to evaluate as a single or small number of gunshots, I still think I can draw some conclusions safe to myself. I always wondered about the control of loading variables and the understandings thereof by the wide variety of those who submitted loads for testing, especially when you see in Armbrust's reports incidences of bad crimps and bloopers in the midst of a string of reasonable shots of the same load. For instance, did they really weigh shot and powder charges, or did they simply go to the bushing charts and accept the results. What were the quality and uniformity of the hulls, crimps, etc.

Then there was the inclusion of data from suspect published sources. What are we to believe . . . .

Anyway, I regard the data as general guidelines to be sorted with some judgment, but recognize we are swimming around in uncertain waters to some degree with almost any published reloading data.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
Tony
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:26 pm  Reply with quote

Well, first off many of those loads were 'tested' using less than 5 rounds, some were only 2 or 3 rounds. That doesn't make them unsafe, but untested, unsound and probably less than consistent. A proper test is a data string of 10 rounds. Now you could make a case for 5 rounds for loads using fast powders, but the industry standard is 10 rounds.

Next there is the whole 'low pressure' mentality that somehow old shotguns need these loads or that low pressure is better. You will never hear a ballistician say that low pressures are good. Pressure is your friend, low pressure will cause you more headaches than pressures run near SAAMI MAP.(which by the way are not high pressure)

Old shotguns were probably proofed at very similar pressures to what are used presently.....old isn't the real issue.....misinformation is.

If a guy doesn't trust his shotgun with loads at 10,000 PSI, why on earth would he put his face near the breech with a 7,000 PSI load.......the reason is, that he doesn't understand what pressure figures mean.......if a shotgun is that suspect it should be hanging over the fireplace mantle.......Cool Cool

Most powders will burn cleaner, more completely and perform properly at cold temperatures if they are used in loads that exhibit pressures in and around the 10,000 PSI mark. There are few loadings that will perform properly below the freezing mark when started out at 'low pressure'.

The Low Pressure Group, does nothing to promote sound ballistics, but they do propagate myths, lies and old wives tales......about as useless as it gets.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:52 am  Reply with quote

Mark , I agree completely . would always take a load @10k psi . Of the 5 or so barrel blows that I've been around , they have all been because of obstructions , NOT pressure . The last one was at our local club and I was about 50yds away . As soon as the noise went off , I dropped the bird boxes and took off figuring someone was on the ground . NOT !! The monobloc blew in 3 parts , found 2 and never to this day found the 3rd . The guys shook their heads , went in and removed the single trap barrel , put the O/U on and went back out and recommenced ! Checking the components , the shooter was shooting a 7Kpsi load . Always HOPED that in that situation , the LP would save your bacon . DIDN"T !(this case , it looked like the basewad lodged in the barrel and didn't give). That's always been the case of the ones I know of . never pressure .

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to 16GA land Very Happy

Which group did you join? The YAHOO group?

When ?

RWG administers the Low Pressure Group.

oldhunter administers the Yahoo Group.

If you are having issues with a group, please PM the administrator of that
particular group.

Mike

PatrickB
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the 16ga forum.

As skeettx points out there are administers of two different "sub groups" to the public 16ga forum. If you send either one of those individuals a message they can explain the process for getting access to the data those groups offer. If you're interested in the low pressure data the group has been around for many years and has a loyal following of reloaders who have always been supportive with answering questions.