16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Those of you that use the Super Sizer
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

If a loaded shell is tight in a chamber, is there a danger to swaging it down in a Super Sizer?
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:52 am  Reply with quote

I have done it on my sizemaster with no problems
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:32 am  Reply with quote

MEC says do not do

I do and have done it with no issues

Mike

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:37 am  Reply with quote

I have certainly done it with no issues. But then again I have punched out live primers which is likely stupid Shocked . I have also stared sentences with prepositions.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:44 am  Reply with quote

MEC is covering it's backside--Have never heard of any primer detonations while resizing loaded shells.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

I also do it. I can't see any danger since the primer doesn't contact anything that could detonate it..
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

eng-pointer wrote:
I have certainly done it with no issues. But then again I have punched out live primers which is likely stupid Shocked . I have also stared sentences with prepositions.

James
Your grammatical impropriety would get you a severe reprimand if you were married to my wife the teacher/librarian. Smile

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:04 am  Reply with quote

Do it every time I roll crimp a batch. Shells loaded on a 600 without the re-size ring then over to the drillpress w/supersizeer hull vise. If nervous about it, take a fired unresized deprimed hull, mic the empty primer pocket, resize in your SM'er, and re-mic the primer pocket. I saw no dimensional change to the pockets in the few hulls I did this to.

Last edited by putz463 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Doggai
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

The only difference between swaging it down in a super sizer and on your mec is that the SS does not have a vacancy under the live primer. Pushing on the primer by the super sizer is akin to the pressure used by the mec in seating the primer. Or, consider the amount of punishment the primer takes when an autoloader bolt slams shut on a loaded shell. In 68 years of shooting I've never had a slam fire from the bolt closing on any firearm. So it's probably unlikely the SS will ignite a primer in a swage session.

So, how come you don't resize those hulls if you're picking them up at the range or someone is giving them to you? Or if you're using them in two guns of different makes and manufacturing tolerances in the chambers?

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Doggai wrote:

So, how come you don't resize those hulls if you're picking them up at the range or someone is giving them to you? Or if you're using them in two guns of different makes and manufacturing tolerances in the chambers?

I reload with a P-W, that while it supports the entire shell during the loading process, doesn't swage the brass(steel) down as the Super Sizer does which is why I'm getting a Super sizer, and I was wondering about any loaded shell that I have that might benefit from sizing.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:16 am  Reply with quote

as long as there isn't a protrusion , shouldn't be any diff than when you chamber a shell. I have a bucks worth of change on my loader for short shells . I only get the eebb-ggeebb's when the coins are face up - don't worry about the flats .

FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

Doggai wrote:
The only difference between swaging it down in a super sizer and on your mec is that the SS does not have a vacancy under the live primer.

My 28 gauge Super Sizer DOES have a vacancy (hole) under the primer. I loosened my 28 gauge Super Sizer until it sized 24 gauge hulls about .005 larger than factory. I deprime, reprime, drop powder, insert the wad and drop shot for my 24 gauge hulls in my 20 gauge Sizemaster - I then use the Super Sizer clamped to the table of my drill press to first size the "brass" and then serve as the vise to hold the shell for roll crimping.

Since there is a vacancy (hole) under the primer I can see no possible way for a detonation.

I'm reasonably sure that the warning to not size live ammo that's stamped into the ring around the top of the Super Sizer is the result of the worthless **^*&&*%&^&*'s that are plaintiff's lawyers. If you are a plaintiff's lawyer, yes, you did not misinterpret my statement I did intend to offend you. I'm a CPA and I get this feeling every year when I pay may malpractice insurance premium. Guess what I just did.
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:35 am  Reply with quote

Whoops, I figured the concern was crushing the primer from the sides. All the SS collets I have 10, 16 & 28(24)ga have a Shell Lifter Tube (part #5 in the MEC SS parts list) that prevents any primer contact while sizing.

byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:58 am  Reply with quote

Even if the primer were to pop the shell will not fire unless it is in a chamber. All that happens is the ejection of the shells contents and some of the powder burns. I know this because when I was a kid I set up a 12ga shell to rest on the tip of a soldering Iron then from a distance I plugged in the Iron hopeing for a big bang ,in about 3 min. the shell popped open and there was some powder fizzle but that was all that happened every time I did it.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/