16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 Gauge Semi-Auto Suggestions...
Sweet16
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

I'd like to try a 16 gauge semi-auto this year for chukar in Northern Nevada. I have a couple of 16 gauge doubles that work nicely, but sometimes I wish I had more than two shots. I have two pump guns (a Winchester Mod. 12 and Ithaca Mod. 37), but I'd like to try a semi-auto. I don't want anything heavy like a Browning Auto-5 or a newer model Remington 1100 - I'd like something on a 16 gauge frame that is relatively light. Besides an older Remington 1100 (which I'm seriously considering), are there any other guns out there I should consider? Didn't Beretta make a 16 gauge semi-auto a number of years ago? Any input would be appreciated, as well as any direction to a particular gun for sale.

Thanks!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

The tradeoff of another shell versus the weight you will pack won't be worth it Wink
87016ga
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

sweet16:
the older 1100 16's (pre 1980) were built on the same full-sized 12ga frame as the new issues you are seeing from rem.
the older 1100's seem and are lighter than the new ones because the older fixed choke barrels most often didn't have a rib and the muzzles weren't flared out with excess steel for choke tube threads.
apples to apples comparison of old to new 1100's with same barrel lengths you should notice about an 8oz. difference.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Don't assume an A5 is out of the question.

I just weighed a Sweet Sixteen at 6 lb 10 oz, almost a pound lighter than a 16 ga 1100. How much lighter do you want it to be?

Keep in mind that each shell will add about an oz. and a half! A full load of shells is almost a half a pound!

Jeff
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:00 am  Reply with quote

I have to agree. How light do you want it?
A Sweet 16 with 25.5" bbl will come in around 6 3/4 lbs.

If you can wait a while, there were a couple threads back in the beginning of this year about new items and future possible items from the SHOT show. One was a Benelli inertia type 16, to be marketed as a Franchi. My guess is it should come in around 6 lbs. But it likely won't be out for at least a year, if ever.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Here's a mint Sweet 16 for sale: http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewtopic.php?t=30408