16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Looking for 16 GA spreader and effective goose load recipes
Bill K
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

Before I spend a bunch of time & money on trying to develop 16 GA spreader and goose loads - thought I'd put it before our fraternity to see who has what to say.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

the spreader and goose loads are actually two different loads, unless you're planning on jump shooting a goose. But what I have found is that whatever you're using as a one ounce load; load 3/4 oz, then insert a SpredR, pushing the post down to the top of the wad, then adding 1/8 oz more shot on top, then crimping will work well for the spreader load; for the goose load, use whatever load you have for 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz lead load, but instead of using lead, use one of the "similar to lead" no-tox shots such as Nice shot, or what I have done is disassemble factory Tungsten Matrix #1 & 3 shotshells and use that shot. Loading performance is virtually the same as the lead but is No-tox.
Bill K
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you

I was asking about the two different loads however, sometimes my phrasing isn't the best.
jschultz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Bill, I have had good spreader load success by using two OSC's and cutting them half way and then sliding them together to form an X. I insert the X in the wad and then add shot. I use the above method on published low to mid pressure 16 GA loads.
John Singer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

I have loaded spreader loads in 12 gauge similar to what jschultz describes.. I cut the shot cup petals off of a Claybuster wad. I cut two pieces of cardboard from a cereal box or shell box to the width of the interior of the shell. I slit each piece of cardboard 1/2 way through and formed an "x". I inserted the x-shaped spreader in the hull after seating wad and dropped the shot as normal.

At the pattern board, I test fired these shells through a modified choke and they appear to give an even pattern that is more open than the standard modified pattern.

I have some limited experience loading steel shot in the 16 gauge for geese. I have shot geese with both 7/8 oz of #1 steel and "B" steel. The load has a published velocity of 1550 fps and patterns well. I have shot only about 5 geese with these loads.

Bill K
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

John -

What is the powder charge that's giving you 1550 fps ?
John Singer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Bill,

The load is published here: http://www.kammeret.no/bilder/albums/userpics/11108/VP80_data.pdf

See the loads #50204. They use 27.5 grains of Steel powder and the VP80 wad with 7/8 oz of shot.