16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga Trap & new gun & more
pezman1963
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

Last week I shot my first 25 of 25 in trap ever.
It was with 16ga NEF Pardner single shot and 1/1/8oz handload in Rem. hull.
SP16 wad 16.5 grains of unique with a fed 209a primer.

I also just joined the club here..
the checks in the mail.
Yes is not a lie
it actually is in the mail.
Anyway I was wondering on the survey you do not have single shot,
bolt action and drillings on it?
My favorite is a single shot.

I picked a Baikal SxS and was pleasantly surprised by the workmanship.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
offhand35
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Hello, Pezman 1963!
Welcome from CT [also!]. This site is a lot of fun, for the most part. The tendency is toward the traditions of the past with double guns, autos & pumps mentioned intermitantly, single shots hardly spoken of at all......
Don't ever forget, though, that a great many quick to hand farm guns were 16ga single shots....
I will grant you that my main interest in shotguns is the Browning Auto-5 16ga, but my bad weather guns are NEF single shots, in 16ga, and 12ga slug.

I have benefited quite a bit, participating on this site, and I hope that you will too!

Congratulations on your 1st 25 straight, I have not done that yet, for all the trap that I shoot at Pahquioque, in Danbury.

If you have not found it yet, there is a great forun re: the NEF/H&R guns at Graybeard Outdoors:

www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php

pezman1963
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

offhand35 wrote:
Hello, Pezman 1963!
Welcome from CT [also!]. This site is a lot of fun, for the most part. The tendency is toward the traditions of the past with double guns, autos & pumps mentioned intermitantly, single shots hardly spoken of at all......
Don't ever forget, though, that a great many quick to hand farm guns were 16ga single shots....
I will grant you that my main interest in shotguns is the Browning Auto-5 16ga, but my bad weather guns are NEF single shots, in 16ga, and 12ga slug.

I have benefited quite a bit, participating on this site, and I hope that you will too!

Congratulations on your 1st 25 straight, I have not done that yet, for all the trap that I shoot at Pahquioque, in Danbury.

If you have not found it yet, there is a great forun re: the NEF/H&R guns at Graybeard Outdoors:

www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php

Hey,
There a couple of others too from here
thanks for the link I did not know about it.
I know there were many good single shots.
Savage/Stevens H&R Winchester plus a host "Hardware Guns"
I almost bought a Winchester 37 16ga.
The Mossberg Bolt actions are fun too.
I have them in .410 20 ga & 16 ga.
I am still looking for the 12 ga.

I shoot at Windsor Marksman.

In terms of 16 ga
I have Revelation 310B (Mossberg 500) pump 28" full and 26" c-lect choke.
{it needs work}
Mossberg 190 C-lect choke
NFA/H&R Pardner 28" full choke single shot
Crescent Arms no.60 Empire Hammerless sxs double trigger
Baikal IHZ-43 single trigger choke tubes

I pretty much settled into 16ga as my main gun for clay shooting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Pez-bottom line is most shooters use a trap/skeet/clays gun for the intnded game.With most field guns the target is covered by the barrel--if/when the wind moves it a 0 is in the scoresheet. Embarassed I use a field gun before season but real shooting-registered-calls for a dedicated shotgun----More power to you if the 25's become common---The birds,rabbits,etc are in trouble Cool
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Like a lot of guys on here, I have a variety of guns and 16 sxs are my favorites. And yes I also have an old Stevens 16 single that was my Uncles. I actually shoot it pretty well and I'll never part with it. Every time I see it in the safe I think back 30 years to Uncle Rich dropping a grouse on the 2nd shot with it in the mountain laurel. I know how he held the 2nd shell in his left hand but could never duplicate the speed. But then, he spent a lifetime with a single shot. Having shot a fair amount of trap over the years,I prefer a 7 1/2 + lb. gun. The Stevens would beat the sheepdip out of me in sight of 100 targets. Always remember- You can never have too many 16's or too many dogs. Laughing

pezman1963
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

fred lauer wrote:
Like a lot of guys on here, I have a variety of guns and 16 sxs are my favorites. And yes I also have an old Stevens 16 single that was my Uncles. I actually shoot it pretty well and I'll never part with it. Every time I see it in the safe I think back 30 years to Uncle Rich dropping a grouse on the 2nd shot with it in the mountain laurel. I know how he held the 2nd shell in his left hand but could never duplicate the speed. But then, he spent a lifetime with a single shot. Having shot a fair amount of trap over the years,I prefer a 7 1/2 + lb. gun. The Stevens would beat the sheepdip out of me in sight of 100 targets. Always remember- You can never have too many 16's or too many dogs. Laughing

Try the load I mentioned above
it will not beat ya up.
recoil like a 28ga or 410