16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16ga Turkey loads
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:30 am  Reply with quote

The cost of advice is posting those cool pictures on this thread and telling the story. I look forward to that! Reno

callaojoe
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Two Pipe Shoot wrote:
The cost of advice is posting those cool pictures on this thread and telling the story. I look forward to that! Reno

I'll see what I can do, me and turkeys have never got along well... hahahaha

I usually only get 2-3 days to hunt them, but my property has a lot of them usually. Saw 50-60 hens and Jakes last sit in January archery season. Then, there's another group of gobblers that numbers around 10-12 birds.

Lefever Nitro 16ga (1946)
rudyc
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:49 am  Reply with quote

Several years ago I spent an afternoon shooting different shells out of my old Bayard. 8 different brands from RIO's to Golden Pheasant.

Using factory loads, Federal Hi-Power #6 were clearly the best for my gun. I believe each gun has a sweet spot for a particular load and it showed in spades that afternoon.

I now have a handload using Longshot powder and roll crimp paper hulls that works better than all of them.

6's to the face at under 35 yards is what works for me when I use a shotgun for turkeys.

When using my longbow it's a whole "nuther" story!!

If you "click" on the picture, it should open up to full screen.

[URL=http://s252.photobucket.com/user/rudycu/media/P4150011.jpg.html] [/URL]

Last edited by rudyc on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:17 am  Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of sixes too. I'm going to pattern fours, fives, and sixes in the Pink Panther's cousin in the next few weeks to see what does best. I'll probably wind up shooting sixes because it looks like this spring I'll be shooting backup at running or flying birds should my friends and family miss, or if a rolled bird sticks his head up to see if it's safe to boogie. The Dean will be shooting a single 10, so I have to be prepared to follow up with force. The gun's modified choke will be handy for that type of shooting.

I've got four more first round shells for the foul weather bps should I need to put it into service. Those shells and that gun are well matched and every bird I shot after the three patterning loads died. Good thing I bought two boxes of ten.

Reno

callaojoe
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:47 am  Reply with quote

One of the best "harvest" pic a person can get, a nice tom draped with a nice SxS. Very Happy

I'll probably pattern some 5's 6's and 7.5's. And go from there.

The ones it don't like, will be used to shoot dirt birds.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

callaojoe wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I had been thinking about the 7.5's in the right, 5's in the left sort of thing. Heck, I have two barrels, may as well utilize them.

Exactly right. For this reason alone, your nitro is more versatile than the Benelli. Beautiful nitro btw.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
callaojoe wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I had been thinking about the 7.5's in the right, 5's in the left sort of thing. Heck, I have two barrels, may as well utilize them.

Exactly right. For this reason alone, your nitro is more versatile than the Benelli. Beautiful nitro btw.

And the right number of triggers as well.
callaojoe
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:07 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:
callaojoe wrote:

And the right number of triggers as well.

My Son doesn't know it yet.... He is currently in Navy Boot camp, and will be heading into the Nuke program on Saturday. But, when he finishes Nuke school, this Lefever is going to be his graduation present. I wanted to give him something, that let him know how proud I am of him, and what could do that better than a nice 16ga SxS. I still have my Ithaca and my Fox. I may have the gun re-choked for him, as much as I hate to do that. Would like to have soemthing along IC/M. This gun is F/F, and he will probably use it mostly on birds. I don't think I would have a fox graded gun, or nicer SxS rechoked, but am considering the Lefever. Either that, or get him some spreader loads from RST...

I may take the gun into the turkey woods this spring... But, then it'll get a gunsock, and only be touched for occasional cleaning, etc until I give it to him.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Patterned the model 12/16 today and wasn't too happy with the patterns; at least I have a little time to figure that out. Reno

John Singer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:04 am  Reply with quote

This weekend, I purchased 10 lbs of nickel plated 7 1/2 lead shot at a gunshop (for $10).

I made up several shells in 16 gauge (1/1/4 oz, VP-80 wad, Steel Powder) and 12 gauge (1 1/2 oz of shot).

I patterned the 16 gauge with my Savage 720. This gun has a modified choke (0.652 "). I patterned it at 40 yards and 30 yards. Neither pattern was very good on a turkey head target.

I am going to load up some 16 gauge 1 1/8 oz loads with this shot in the Claybuster wad with 800X powder and see how it patterns.

The 12 gauge shells, on the other hand shot very impressive patterns on the turkey target at 40 yards through a Traditions 2100 ALS with a factory full choke tube.

Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone who worries about the cost of shells for turkey hunting, I have a deal for you. You pay for my gas during turkey season and I will pay for yours and 4 of your friends shells shot at turkeys this season. Very Happy Gil
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

Gil S wrote:
Anyone who worries about the cost of shells for turkey hunting, I have a deal for you. You pay for my gas during turkey season and I will pay for yours and 4 of your friends shells shot at turkeys this season. Very Happy Gil

Make it ten friends and count me in! Reno

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
This weekend, I purchased 10 lbs of nickel plated 7 1/2 lead shot at a gunshop (for $10).

I made up several shells in 16 gauge (1/1/4 oz, VP-80 wad, Steel Powder) and 12 gauge (1 1/2 oz of shot).

I patterned the 16 gauge with my Savage 720. This gun has a modified choke (0.652 "). I patterned it at 40 yards and 30 yards. Neither pattern was very good on a turkey head target.

I am going to load up some 16 gauge 1 1/8 oz loads with this shot in the Claybuster wad with 800X powder and see how it patterns.

The 12 gauge shells, on the other hand shot very impressive patterns on the turkey target at 40 yards through a Traditions 2100 ALS with a factory full choke tube.

With lead, plated or not, 25 yards is my max for 7.5's, they just don't have the mass to retain power down range needed for penetration. I love them in a modified choke for birds less than 25 yards, especially if there's another, tighter barrel with heavier shot next to it for ranges out to forty yards. Reno

John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:41 am  Reply with quote

That is what I was seeking, a load that would work well in a modified choked gun. I will likely use the 7 1/2 for fall turkey hunting. I have no problem getting the birds close in the fall. I like to use my modified choked 16 gauge then.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:40 am  Reply with quote

You ought to be set for close range. If I was going to use my sixteen this spring, with 7.5's I'd have to limit it to 25 yards. My normal range swath is 80 yards, but I can't talk my self into dropping back to fifty. Reno