16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  13/8 oz mag results
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

2 loads were sent out , and I must say I'm a little surprised . The load was based on a 11/4 mag load from my Lyman #2 and I figured they would be HOT ! NOT !......Both loads were 25grns (weighed) of Blue Dot , chedd cases and 600grains (weighed) of shot ... 1st load used a .2 OP wad and 3/8'' fiber filler , with a CCI209 pr... . 2nd load used a DR powder cup , 3/8 filler and a Cheddite pr .............CW - 1022fps @7316 psi ... SD 22/468 ... ED 49/960 can be used as a low pressure whomper ............DR - 1213 fps @9750 psi ...SD 24/267 ...ED 58 / 750 ... Shots were 5 shot strings and the highest pressure on the DR loads was 10100 psi . So , there you have the only data I know of for 13/8 16ga loads that I've ever seen . As in the other thread , a shot protector could be used , but I think if using an older gun , I'd be interested in what the pattern was unprotected 1st .

fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing !

Who did the ballistics testing ?
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

testing done by Precision ... I've been called a lot worse and in worse places Mike ..... The 1st load sort of followed the old std where plastic wad loads needed 10% less powder . I'll probably try the 1st load with 2.5grns more powder , and the 2nd one is fine where it is . Now to start adding weight to the old 870 !(actually , have a 220e that I haven't got a lot of use for - if it cracks the stock on that one it'll be a blessing - worst stock work/design I've ever seen )

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing 16D, always interesting to see new stuff for the 16ga, careful with that 220e, I fired a 10ga 2oz Turkey load in a Pardner ONCE Shocked Very Happy & by using the 96 rule the gun your new 1 3/8 load would shoot in should be in the #8.25 range to soften the blow.

Kidding aside, if you ever want to part with that 220e please think of me, I've had my eye out for one to use/bling out as a dedicated trap gun project.

How long did precision take to turn your shells into data?

Thanks for being "out in the weeds" pushing the envelope, neat stuff.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Putzie - 220 e , funny gun . Gun cost 32dollars on GB (pretty good condition) and 35 bucks to ship ! Prev owner cracked the back of the forearm sides and trimmed them off - otherwise near new gun! ... Precision got the shells on Mon and had the data to me the following tues (yesterday) - not bad ! 50 bucks for a 5 shot string or 50 bucks for 2 5 shot strings . shipping was a hoot as the local grocery store does UPS . Used a small USPS box with all the bar codes blacked out , but forgot the priority mail insigs . The store clerks were antsy , but the manager knew what was what . Got the sticker printed and no matter what , covered some of the ORM d , so the UPS guy figured it out and away it went ... May send them the RedDot 5/8 loads just to see .... Hey , thanx for the 10ga data ! Cool Cool

16'er
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:50 am  Reply with quote

How long till we see some patterns?
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by fn16ga on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

tried 2 shots out of the 220 today . Not bad . Did have a little extra padding , but the shots were totally bearable . The loads today used some Alcan 1/2'' fillers . Fit ok but tight . Better with 3/8'' filler . The volumn with the old 6 shot is about the same as 11/2oz lee shot neasure to get 600 grains , so the smaller wad is a better fit .... You'll probably never see patterns . I shoot to see the pt of impact is ok and whether the pattern tends tight or loose . Won't happen on paper .... Fin , I have some old Herters wads and they are fairly thick . I may use them when I get to some heavy shot type loads , but I haven't been able to convince myself they aren't counterproductive with the lead . If I use a protector with these , it'll probably a lighter type wrap . (it IS a lot of shot out the barrel , isn't it . Can't wait to see some 8 loads in the snow bank !)

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:33 am  Reply with quote

failed to mention in the prev statement , that the loads were nicely clean burning . I remember the day when premium hunting ammo used to leave 1/2 the powder in the barrel . The dr cup seems to really do a nice sealing job on the explosion - barrel only had maybe a flake either time .

Woody402
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Bill let me shoot a few of these today. They didn't recoil bad at all. Even out of the lightweight 220 single shot. They seem to pattern really good too. I might have to put some together to use for turkeys.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

what Woodie said ! I believe without that heavy shotcup , the load was able to react to the choke well . We put some clays out at 30 yds and obliterated them with tight looking patterns . I shot one of the 25/8'' fed also with the soft/heavier shot and that looked great also . This may be the ultimate m12 load - that'll be somewhere down the road . I may put an old stock on my trap gun/full and give er a go . I'm kinda surprised that the 220 didn't knock the snot out of us . I took the padded monte off and expected some dental work , but they aren't bad at all as Woodie said . Maybe that 220 is just a better design than I can give it credit for - it's the cheapest looking design/built gun , but it sure likes these loads !

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

what Woodie said ! OOPPSS , sorry . the computer doesn't usually let me do this !

Last edited by 16gaDavis on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Woody402
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
what Woodie said ! I believe without that heavy shotcup , the load was able to react to the choke well . We put some clays out at 30 yds and obliterated them with tight looking patterns . I shot one of the 25/8'' fed also with the soft/heavier shot and that looked great also . This may be the ultimate m12 load - that'll be somewhere down the road . I may put an old stock on my trap gun/full and give er a go . I'm kinda surprised that the 220 didn't knock the snot out of us . I took the padded monte off and expected some dental work , but they aren't bad at all as Woodie said . Maybe that 220 is just a better design than I can give it credit for - it's the cheapest looking design/built gun , but it sure likes these loads !

As we talked about today. I think I will use you load and roll crimp some shorties to use in the M12 I bought from you. Should be a nice turkey combo. I have some nickel plated 5 1/2's I could use.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:46 am  Reply with quote

Barrel length? Barrel heavy balance point? Maybe a long barrel and the Bluedot dampening things a bit??