16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  13/8 oz mag results
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:03 am  Reply with quote

Mike , the 220 is just your run 0f the mill side lever Stevens SS . 28'' full . I know Reno is having trouble going tight in his m12 , and that's been my experience with them . What is diff about this load is that there is no thick wad to squash into the barrel and interfere . I really wish I could take a whisker off some cases for Reno (Make a useable length to cycle his 12 - which is a late model by the way ) and try a #7 load without the wrapper or with thin paper . He's just a little too far (14hrs) to just drive over there !

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:44 am  Reply with quote

with turkey season around the corner , I thought I'd bring this BTT . No problems with the 920E . It is a real conundrum that this gun fires these and doesn't recoil much(I removed the pad for length , and just shoot the wooden butt ) .... Mr VanDenburg in Shotgun sports also listed the VP80(1680) load mentioned in this thread . Have shot these also and the Stevens seems to LIKE them also . I shot a couple in my liteweight M12 and was deliriously wandering around the club for a while !! Both my load and VP80 fit in the chedd cases easily . The VP80 calls for an OS wad , but I haven't seen the need . Could probably near the 1 1/2 oz that Nick suggested could fit .... Nope , not going THERE !! Well , maybe ...

Last edited by 16gaDavis on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

Excellent work 16gaDavis, thanks for sharing.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:11 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
Mike , the 220 is just your run 0f the mill side lever Stevens SS . 28'' full .

Hey 16D, need some clarity here; "Stevens SS"? Did you mean SxS?? Mine is a Savage 220D ambidextrous center top (pretty neat feature BTW) lever 28" single barrel. I do know they made some 220's in side levers.

If similar to mine; is yours a picky eater? Mine refuses to consistently fire factory RGL's but will chew through factory Win's or reloads w/W209's all day long.

Slowly blinging this gun up as a dedicated trap gun, having a blast with the project.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:23 am  Reply with quote

My bad Putzie - mines a 940E - the one with the side lever release instead of top lever . I saw that earlier and didn't change the posts . The only difficult part of reading the markers . cheapest damn gun as far as wood shaping and finish . Handles these loads like a dream . No pad just the wood butt . Have been using the VanDenburg load for ease - fits easily into the cases . Have contemplated seeing if I can push the load to 650 grns or even a full 11/2oz . The 13/8 load actually can use a filler . I've been trimming just a touch off the case length and they eject better out of the M12 . Jeesh - that mother kicks !! The Stevens - nope ! Hope to do a field test on a gobbler in a few weeks . (I tried one in my M31 also - another KICKING MOTHER !!) (as far as I'm concerned , there is only one proper top lever SS and that's the 37 WIN . When idling along and a bird gets up , you can't help grabbing the hammer - 1 st in line , any of the other SS's have the lever 1st and then the hammer - TROUBLE !!)

lowgun
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:15 am  Reply with quote

I would think that a rechambered single shot (to 3") would allow a longer case and a full 1 1/2 ounce load. I have a nine pound 16 gauge Parker built on the #3 ten gauge frame that would easily handle some big loads. I have not measured the chambers, but would not be surprised that they are already 3" chambers.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:38 am  Reply with quote

lowgun - 11/2 will fit in the 70mm chedd cases with a roll crimp ... have moved to 28ga mag hevi loads - one @1400 fps . Funny that the SS gun shoots these easily .... but ... the 31 and the m12 are REAL attn. getters !!

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Noticed your information on the 1 3/8 load with blue dot. I have loaded many 1 1/4 with blue dot but was kinda dissapointed z
At times with results at the trap range past the 27 yard line. Probably more me than the load. The past couple years I have been splitting the loads between blue dot and ww 571. Actually my loader drops between 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 on the shot.But I seem to have better experience with 571 past the 27 yard and on. Reason I mention it I thought maybe someone might want to give it a try. I use a mec single stage for my backup loads. 571 powder drops between 24.7 to 24.9 from a 24 bushing. I guess you can substitute HS 7 if you can't find 571.
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

HS-7 IS 571 One powder two names

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

there are probably more than a few possibilities with loads . I wanted a std powder that's been around and BD filled the bill ... BD is a notorious hard powder to light . I load on a scale . So far have had all great sounding loads ... the reason I bring this up is the 28ga hevi load . Mr Roster did the load , 296 powder , BP multi wad and 7/8 hevi . so far so good . After talking to Nick one nite , we got the thought to push this load out past 1400 fps (already at 1385) . My thinking was drop the shot weight a touch and another grain of powder . The problem is the powder is HARD to light ! Dropped the powder to 11/16 and tried 2 shots - one was nice , the other a puffer . The load with the ball powder needs mag primers and they are hard to get here . I've settled on 28 grns of 296 with a fed primer (powder range is 26 - 30) . Tom's load uses a CCI209M - can't find one in this state !! I mention all this just to say that the 571 approach may be hard to light .

old colonel
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Actually there has been other 1 3/8 data, I know as I loaded the data some years back and was not impressed that I got any better performance compared to the recoil

I will try to find the data, but I believe it was w blue dot as your load is. I imagine that both longshot and maybe lil'gun might be usable for heavier 16 gauge loads too.

old colonel
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:34 am  Reply with quote

I found two other loads for 1 3/8 on an old LPG spreadsheet though I can't claim to have loaded either

Federal hull, 13/8 lead, 48.5grains IMR4227, CCI209M primer, 3/8 fibre - cup wad, 6000PSI, 1130FPS

Federal hull, 13/8 lead, 52.0grains IMR4227, CCI209M primer, 1/4 fibre - cup wad, 9,400PSI, 1250FPS

Both noted as being 2.574/2.578 overall length

I know there is still other loads out there, can't just put my hand on it