16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rural King and the 16 ga Remington Shell Odyssey - part I
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

The Boss works with someone who owns a winery in Carrotlon IL and since I like wine and I used to in my long ago life make wine commercially I agreed last week to take the Boss up to Carrolton to the winery for a tasting Saturday (9/9). Besides the case I eventually bought the mom-in-law was a good investment too Wink

On Wednesday this week (after trip plans were set for wine tasting) the post-dipatch came and the Rural King advertisement showed Remington field loads in 12, 16, and 20 (8s and 7.5s) for $3.39 per box Surprised . A Saturday BONUS Cool as the Rural King in Litchfield IL would only be about 20 miles as a side trip from the winery. Wine and shells in the same afternoon - too cool Cool

Got to the Rural King about 3 pm to find 22 boxes of 16 ga 8s (black hulls - see more in Part II) on the shelf which I quickly had the Boss load in the cart while I searched for more (yes, revdocdrew, she supports my habits and carries shells too Shocked ). Couldn't find any more 16 ga shells so asked 3 employees and was finally hooked up with Asst. Manager who said they did not get too many in (I had the remainder in my cart), but I COULD CERTAINLY GET A RAIN CHECK at that price ($3.39) for later when they did arrive. So I hustled up to the front to buy what I had and to get the rain check - here is where it gets too funny Confused .

I ran the shells up onto the checkout and the employee gave me a look like, "why do you need 22 boxes? and rang me up (after checking my FOID of course). Then I asked for a RAIN CHECK and she began entering me in the computer - after the name, address, number etc.... she asks "How many do you want? and I stated "TEN cases please" and she proceeded to enter 10 boxes of shells on the computer screen. I said "NO" I want 10 cases and she looked at me and said "how many boxes is that" by now the BOSS is getting frustrated so she states "that would be 100 boxes Miss" and the employee says "that's more than $300" to which I replied "yes, but at this price the opportunity is too good to waste Wink "

At this point the Asst. Manager walks up to see what was happening and she said "we may not get that many in our next shipment" to which I asked "can't I get this price until I get my 10 cases (100 boxes) even if it takes a while" to which she replied "YES".

So now I'm just waiting for the phone to ring to go fetch my cases - here's to hopin they come to this Rural King in my lifetime Wink

Dr. 16 Gauge
drake
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Dr. 16 gauge,

Something about buying shells by the case...........feels like cord wood stacked neatly

$3.39/ box for Remy game loads is an excellent price.
Too bad we don't have Rural King up here in Wisconsin.

We do have Dick's Sporting Goods in Green Bay and Appleton, WI.
A few weeks back they had 12's and 20's Rem GL on sale for $3.28/box.

They had 16g GL's for 3.99/box.......or so said the young guy behind the gun counter.

I carried one flat to the front register where the young girl rang up one box.
$3.28/box.
I immediately went to the back of the store and grabbed 14 flats. Bought 'em all.

Keep buying em.....maybe someone at the store will look at sales numbers and start ordering more 16's.

Good shooting....... Drake
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Drake,

Didn't Dick's give you the automatic 10% case lot discount?
drake
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

I asked but no go............at $3.28/ box I can't find any cheaper around here. Almost like looking the proverbial "gift horse in the mouth."

Do you know anything about Ugartechea? I was looking at Aspen Outfitting and Lion Country Supply on the web for a 16 S X S. Leaning towards the Aspen version even though more dough.

Thinking about taking the plunge in late October as year end bonus is coming.
I also think about the Mec 600 Jr for a reloader for handcrafting the 2-3 boxes of hunting loads I go through in a season.