16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Problems with Federal Hi Power brass separating
Woody402
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone ever have brass separate like this. Almost every round out of the box I've fired have done this. They are Federal Hi-Power #6's 1 1/8 oz.

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

YUP
This was a normal occurrence in Federal ammo of the 70s and 80s.

What is the vintage of your ammo?

Mike

p.s. When did Federal stop using the Hi-Power designation and the three ring brass head on 16 gauge ammo?

Woody402
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
YUP
This was a normal occurrence in Federal ammo of the 70s and 80s.

What is the vintage of your ammo?

Mike

p.s. When did Federal stop using the Hi-Power designation and the three ring brass head on 16 gauge ammo?

If I had guess vintage the 70's. They are in the brown/black/white box. I was only a kid then!!!! But I do remember my dad having those boxes around. This box came with a lefever I was given. I have a pretty nice box collection my dad has given me over the years. Several of those boxes around. I have a Mohawk target load that is same style.

Off topic but when I was looking for the box another box caught my eye. Remington 28 ga. 2 7/8". The reason it caught my eye it specifically lists Hercules Red Dot as powder used. Only one I have like that.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

I've had separations such as that on Winchester and Remington shells- but they were several years old.
ROMAC
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:37 am  Reply with quote

I had that happen last fall. Did not notice until the end of the day. Probably fired 6 or 7 of them and only one did not fail.

Did not seem to bother my 16 gauge Sterlingworth one bit. Buggged the shat out of me though.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:53 am  Reply with quote

I still have burnt powder specks embedded in my shooting eye from a burst rim on a re-loaded Federal hull back in 1963. It looked just like your picture. I was shooting a Marlin hammer pump and the gasses went right down the firing pin hole and into my unprotected eye. Ouch! This won't happen on modern hammerless guns. Wear safety glasses. This incident precipitated the purchase of my first Model 12 (a gift from my dad).

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Sat May 02, 2015 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

If you are shooting and NOT WEARING GLASSES consider that a warning.I have injured both eyes the left is useless and the right is 50%.First in the left a nail gun and I was wearing glasses the second time if I had not I would be totally blind now. I still hunt and shoot clays but I have to do it alone now and that takes away one of the best features of a bird hunt. Cant drive at night, cant drive when the sun shines on the snow,cant see the dogs after 20yds, the list goes on. Please wear those safety glasses.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Woodie - every so often they get a batch - had 2 diff sources at the club that had that occur with older 28's .... The gases WILL get to you in other guns including my 870 . 97's have the most UNGUARDED flite line to your face . glasses shouldn't even be a non-thought . (note Benders add in the Skeet Mag - neither he nor his pupil have ears or eyes !

Woody402
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

I always wear glasses and hearing protection even hunting. I look around the table on a Friday morning and 3/4 guys are wearing hearing aids!!!!

I didn't have any safety issues with those loads just wondered if it was common. Wanted the empty hulls.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

I have to add something here . Being of a TARGET persuation nowadays , glasses are an automatic ... However -that used to not be the case in the past when hunting . Until I really needed sunglasses , never wore them . You kids out there , Always use them hunting . the cases I've been around that failed were hunting loads . Never had a target factory go . I did grow up on 97's , for over 50yrs now . Had a few dust devils in the puss , but never anything bad . That could have been a lot different ! I also got one to the puss from my 870 similar to Woodies recently , so don't think it can't happen ! Your hearing will go gradually - don't really care if you use plugs , but your eyes can go instantly , and the result may not be in your favor !

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Woody, yes I have one on my bench just for reminders. I have found if you spin the hull with one hand and use 3 fingers lightly on the rim while spinning you can feel a roughness on the head of the rim. It's the beginning of starting separation . I have checked many of them with a magnifier when I felt the roughness and it can be seen. Since I use this procedure I have not had any more problems. I don't check anymore with magnifier I just pitch them.