16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 self defense loads
Big Horn 16
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:41 am  Reply with quote

I've stocked up on 12 gauge OO buck but was wondering if anyone loads OO for their sixteen?

A 16 model twelve holds plenty w/o an extension. Does 2 1/2 inchers give you another round in the tube?

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:38 am  Reply with quote

1) you get 6 in the tube with short loads - back to the original 7 shooter ! 2) most agencies suggest 410 - 9's for indoor self defense , so if you are gonna use these indoors , you'll need wall repair and some spare outdoor siding ! BS loads will certainly do the job , outdoors and bigger spaces being the optimum !

bbrown
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Something to consider too: lawyers have successfully argued that using reloads in self defense can show premeditation on the part of the shooter to kill and not just stop someone. I always keep factory loads in any self defense weapon for that reason. I don't have the specific cases, but I have heard that from both lawyers and gun owners and was encouraged to stay away from reloads for that reason.

Take that for what it is worth.

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
bbrown
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

The argument is that they say if you reload the ammo you specifically craft the round for deadliness. If you use factory buckshot or slugs you can argue that you used the ammo available to stop the person trying to do you harm. By stop of course it means shoot center of mass and end the threat. I am not saying it makes sense, I am just saying there are men in big trouble because a two-bit lawyer seeking to advance their political career decided they could send a law abiding man to jail on a technicality. The Mod 97 16ga beside the bed is #5,#5,#5,#5,#5birdshot, #1buckshot. All factory loads.

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

The diameter of 00 will only fit two shot per layer. the length/wad limits the number of layers to three or four, so you are only getting six or eight 00s in a load. As I recall, 1 shot will fit three to a layer in a 16 ga, which puts the total shot in the shell at nine or twelve, which at self-defense distances will be much more effective.
Carlos
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
1) you get 6 in the tube with short loads - back to the original 7 shooter ! 2) most agencies suggest 410 - 9's for indoor self defense , so if you are gonna use these indoors , you'll need wall repair and some spare outdoor siding ! BS loads will certainly do the job , outdoors and bigger spaces being the optimum !

I don't have an M12, but my '97 in 12 ga. will hold an extra round if I trim to 2 3/8" and roll crimp. Any shorter than that doesn't load well from the magazine. Short rounds get lost during the loading cycle.

I agree with 16ga,davis. For indoor use I feel you can use your regular clays or grouse load with small shot. Outdoors buckshot might be better, the largest that will pattern in your gun.

I am not in the Great USA and can't rely on any second amendment so one must be very cautious with self defense. Loading special ammo might arouse suspicions about your attitude.
jschultz
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

I would not like to be on the other end of my 1 oz. #6 shot pheasant load.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

for 12, 16, & 20. Commercial rounds only.

Reloading since 1972, have had only six squibs, last one was four weeks ago.

Got to love the 97, for HD duty, recall an article in a Early 70's "Guns" magazine, stating:
"a 97 with the hammer back, looks like a German Shepard getting ready to charge!"
John Singer
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

You may wish to read this article: http://www.gundigest.com/gun-blogs/books/handloads-not-a-good-idea-for-concealed-carry

I do not think that there has ever been a documented case where a shooter was convicted because he used handloaded ammo and a prosecutor established that as premeditation. However, if any of us ever use our firearms in a shooting of a human being, we are likely to be dealing with a jury. Most likely that jury will not truly be made up of our peers when it comes to understanding firearms.

Ray-citori
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
I would not like to be on the other end of my 1 oz. #6 shot pheasant load.

^^^^^^^^^
This
If you have children 00 BS (being 38 cal) will penetrate dry wall with deadly force on the other side.
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I have a Model 37 Ithaca Police gun. Next to the gun is an open box of i.25 oz # 4 duck loads. It is there next to the dresser if I should need it. You know ,for the rabid zomby attack mallards.
I wont keep a loaded gun in the house just cant abide it.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Carlos - in the great providence of NY ,if the intruder advances and fires , you can fire back , if he fires and retreats , you have to let it go , until he turns to fire again , then you can return fire . If he desists and turns to run ,you have to wait again till he turns to fire again and on and on ! And that's IN your house !

JNW
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

Just one of the 8,000 reasons I left New York.
Jeff
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

same here , love Maine though

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/