16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Full pistol grip vs Semi-pistol grip
chopper
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Seeing the new browning 525's has got me wondering about the pro's and con's of the full curl pistol grip and it's best suited application. What's the theory behind the design? Any personal history?

Along the same lines, why is the lightning style or semi-pistol grip so popular? Is there an advantage to shooting this style of grip? I've been hunting birds and shooting clays for nearly 20 yrs now, but have not ever really looked into this.

Any references or books anyone can recommend for shotgunning technique?

chopper
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

Chopper, one theory says that a full PG tends to put more control of the gun into your rear hand, which is good for target shooting (that's why most target guns have them, very exaggerated ones in some cases, and even palm swells), but not so good for field or instinctive shooting style, where you want your leading hand to steer the gun. Don Zutz's book "The Double Shotgun" has a good explanation of doublegun technique, grips, etc. The round knob is sort of in between the two, but it's certainly seen more on field than target guns. Some people feel that either a straight grip or a round knob/semi-PG work better with double triggers. Your hand has a bit more reach and flexibility than with some PG's.
87016ga
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

chopper:
i have a citori lightening with the rounded pistol grip, and since haveing lost some flexibility in my right wrist and hand , due to an accident a while back (i shoot right handed) i find that the "attack angle" gives me a quicker and easier gun mount than my rems with a standard full pistol grip.
i still manage to shoot either very well, it's just that the citori seems to come to the shoulder more naturally in field shooting conditions.
bottom line: try 'em both out, see what works best for you.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

This is from one of Bro Larry's favorite playmates over on SS BB:

"With a PG or half-PG (or PoW) your back hand can absorb a good bit of the recoil. That is such an advantage that I would never buy a straight-grip stock unless I was getting DT's (and even then I'd rather have the half-PG/Pow."

You can see the choice I made on the 'Princess of Whales Sterly' thread and I'd observe that with bird hunting, we do ALOT more carrying than shooting, and the POW allows the wrist to be in a natural position with the gun resting on the shoulder.

chopper
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts...

Larry -
What's the theory behind wanting your rear hand controlling the gun for target shooting and your front hand for hunting? Thanks for the book info as well. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a copy and self educate a bit.

Brad
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:59 am  Reply with quote

As I said in an earlier thread... two books for every member of this site should be in their library:

Gene Hill's "Shotgunner's Notebook: The Advice and Reflections of a Wingshooter" and

Bob Brister's "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science"

In Brister's book on the chapter of "Stock Answers", he indicates a pistol works best for clays due to the constant direction of the target. He also states in regards to a pistol grip "A good skeet shot with a strong arm may be able to break 25 straight with one hand tied behind him. The fore-end hand is mostly a barrel rest". But Brister believes the straight grips forces the lead hand to move the gun which works best on "shooting fast-darting game" and "most of the top European pigeon shooters I have seen use their left hands a great deal in moving the gun. They make erratic, quick points, perhaps, but pigeons are erratic, quick-moving targets. So are grouse, woodcock, and doves."

So I guess the question is if you believe Brister and what game are you shooting and does the grip make that much of a difference. I have my target gun with a full pistol but my upland s/s has a straight grip.

Just my $.02
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

Chopper--Terry's post answers your target vs field question. Brister is indeed an excellent reference on almost anything to do with shotguns. So is Hill, but with Hill you get wonderful writing, less technical stuff, and lots of nostalgia. Met him once, not long before he died. Nice guy.

Drew, if that's my buddy Cush . . . well, what can I say? Most people shoot heavier guns and lighter loads at targets, so I'm not sure how much of a factor recoil absorption is--but that's where the PG is favored. People tend to tote lighter guns in the field, where you see most straight grips, and the loads are often heavier--but the shots are far less frequent. I've found that recoil in the field is only excessive when I miss.Smile
fred lauer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

Larry,That comment about the recoil is GREAT. Almost sounds something Gene Hill would say. Laughing

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Fred, writers don't always take it as a compliment when you compare them to other writers. Compare anything I write to Gene Hill . . . I'll always consider that a compliment. Thanks!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:35 am  Reply with quote

I use all three types of grips for different reasons. Each has its uses.

I like the Browning Lightning bird's head or POW grip for most field work, especially in the heavier recoiling 16 gauge with stiffer hunting loads. I can also stay with the target better for a follow up shot if I need to. The grip angle works perfectly for me and reduces fatigue on the long days.

I also commonly use straight grip stocked light gauge models like my .410 and 28 ga Citori Superlights. Recoil is a non issue here. I also can adjust the apparent LOP as I don and shuck hunting togs to fit the conditions easier. Straight grips allow some latitude in hand placement. However, a good POW grip does too, but less so.

I use pistol gripped stocks with a palm swell built up in the exactly right location with tennis racket grip tape on my trap guns. The full pistol grip with swell places my grip hand and trigger finger exactly in the right place for very consistant trigger control. This is much more important in trap shooting than some folks realize. Precise timing is important when shooting small clay birds at ranges in excess of 40 yards consistantly. It also applies to serious skeet shooting too.

Sporting clays and 5 stand work require a more flexible shooting style and a more adaptable grip shape than Trap or skeet. I use a Lightning style grip with a wrap to take up a tad of the angle and to help prevent slippage on the hot sweaty days. However, trigger control is important too here. A more closed grip angle helps. I'd have to guess this also applies to columbaire. I've never shot live bird.

I absolutely abhore the new?? sharply sweeping rifle type grips being used on the new target shotguns. I think it's a gimmick to sell guns. These grips force your hand into an unnaturally upward, cramped angle. They might work on rifles where you are shooting at a stationary target, but for moving targets, a more relaxed and looser, freer style is needed to effectively swing to and through the target as it speeds along. This grip style comes and goes about every 20 years on shotguns. Some folks try it, reject it, and the guns are sold as used or restocked to a better style.

I'd say choose a grip style that fits you needs and your shooting style. This is also a good excuse to own more than one gun. Wink

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:09 am  Reply with quote

"but for moving targets, a more relaxed and looser, freer style is needed to effectively swing to and through the target as it speeds along"

Whoa nellie-who is that rational, reasonable, and right-on gun riter guy? Laughing
Couldn't agree more and would also observe, when shooting 100 (or even 25) clay targets, nothing is much worse than muscular tension caused by un-natural body/arm/wrist/neck/head position. Watching the really great shooters is to see 'relaxed urgency' in action.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:17 am  Reply with quote

Careful there Rev!! you will be in the same boat with me getting torpedoed by the imbedded new gun pushers that lurk in these waters. Laughing I hopes you'se gots your swimmy trunks handy. Rolling Eyes

PS: How is that reportedly "dain bramaged" setter of yours doing? We've not heard a peep. Hope he's learning to point those fence sitting desert quail better. Wink Don't we end up loving them inspite of their short comings--kinda like our kids, I guess except they are less fussy about table scraps.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:37 am  Reply with quote

After the last 'come to Jesus' little talk we had, I thinks he's come around Rolling Eyes

hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

I don't mind giving you a complement on this public form rev, thats one hell of a good looking kat/dog........
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
I don't mind giving you a complement on this public form rev, thats one hell of a good looking kat/dog........

I was thinking the same thing, Rev. I'd find eternal forgiveness in my heart for that face.