16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wads for 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads in straight walled hulls
JNW
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

I have only been loading 16 gauge for about 4 or 5 years so I was not paying attention when some of you folks were developing loads 10-15 years ago. Has anyone tried the Ballistic Products SG-20L for light loads? I'll be near BP this week and could pick some up to try. Any other wads that may work?
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by JNW on Tue May 19, 2015 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Mike Campbell is the guy to ask. He used those wads for quite awhile for light loads in the 16.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

the wad you mentioned is what we use in RGL'S primarily . The fed 20SI is the same . Both are the same diam as rem 16ga SP wads so they work pretty nicely . I've loaded up some 20SI's to try in the straight walled RST's I've got to wait out the DR'S . I expect that they SHOULD be close to working as good as Rem wads in straight cases , but may be iffy . My powders are 700X and Red Dot - flakey - we'll see . Also , BP has had 20SM's on sale for quite a while now - really similar to the L's and can be had at a decent rate when they have their fixed rate shipping - have included wads lately .

JNW
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

I live forty minutes from Ballistic Products and will be out that way Tuesday. I think I'll buy some 20 gauge wads and see what happens in Cheddite and Federal hulls.
Thanks,
Jeff
MilRob
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

What powder are you using Jeff? I primarily use SG16 or SG16S in all my 7/8 cheditte loads.
JNW
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

I have been using American Select because that's what I have. Also have 20/28. The SG16 dishes a lot with 7/8 oz in full length Cheddites or Federals. I believe you are loading 2.5" hulls. In the BPI 16 gauge manual they only have those loads without gas seals or over shot cards if they have boat loads of powder. Here's some of their loads that don't take any extra seals or cards:

Ched hull/Ched 209/36 gr SR4756/SG 16 wad/ 3/4 oz shot. 9800 psi. 1650 fps
Ched hull/Ched 209/26 gr 20/28 /SG 16S wad/ 7/8 oz shot. 10800 psi. 1570 fps

I don't wish to use any loads going that fast.
Jeff
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
the wad you mentioned is what we use in RGL'S primarily . The fed 20SI is the same . Both are the same diam as rem 16ga SP wads so they work pretty nicely . I've loaded up some 20SI's to try in the straight walled RST's I've got to wait out the DR'S . I expect that they SHOULD be close to working as good as Rem wads in straight cases , but may be iffy . My powders are 700X and Red Dot - flakey - we'll see . Also , BP has had 20SM's on sale for quite a while now - really similar to the L's and can be had at a decent rate when they have their fixed rate shipping - have included wads lately .

I also used Federal 20SI wads in RGL hulls for 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads over 16 grains of (you guessed it Laughing ) Green Dot with very good results. The 7/8 ounce loads crimped up just fine w/o any 28 ga. filler wads in the shot cup. The 3/4 ouncers needed one.

Those days are in the past due to the DR16 wad (thanks again Nick). however, it doesn't hurt to keep this info on the back burner just in case the bad ole' good ole' days come back around.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

those ''old'' days are here right now GG !

gloftness
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by gloftness on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

The archives don't go back to 2004 for my original write up when I started messing with the SG20L, but here's a thread from 2007 regarding light loads in a Rem hull. It might be of some help if you have Remington hulls to load. That said the new Claybuster 7/8 oz wad is also a good fit in the RGL hull.

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140&highlight=sg20l
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JNW
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Our goal is to produce lots of moderate velocity 7/8 and 3/4 oz loads easily. This was done simply with DR16s, which have not been readily available since last August. Here are the issues as I understand them.
1) A moderate speed 7/8 oz load with an SG16 fits poorly in a straight wall hull unless some filler is used.
2) RGLs are difficult to reload easily on a progressive press more than once. I personally despise reloading RGLs, except for once fired hulls.
3) RGLs are difficult to find near me, and if available are over $9.00 a box.
3) True 2 1/2" hulls can not be reloaded on a progressive MEC press for high volume loading. Some of us shoot thousands and thousands of 16 ga a year and this matters.

Here are possible solutions.
1) Load a 15/16 oz load in a straight wall hull with an SG16. An unaltered 1 oz MEC bar throws this weight of hard 7.5 shot. Now I'm shooting more shot than I want to and it makes shooting more expensive.
2) Figure out how to load current 20 gauge wads in the easier to use and longer lived Cheddite and Federal hulls. A bit of wheel reinventing.
3) Load 2 1/2" Cheddites with SG16 wads. For volume I think Spolar can build a head for this. Can you do this in a PW? Expensive options.
4) Suck it up and load RGLs. This will slow down my loading and increase costs due to poor case mouths and shorter hull life span.
5) Hope Winchester starts producing AACF hulls again. NOT going to happen.
6) Cut Chedds and Feds down to the length of an RGL. These will run through a progressive press and shortening the hull will make everything fit better.
7) Have Claybuster produce the DR16. Doubtful.

Any other solution to this dilemma?
Regards,
Jeff
kgb
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

gloftness wrote:

Is there any reason that a 7/8 oz 2 1/2" load would be a negative? The SG16 would work perfect with a shorter hull.

A friend loads 7/8oz and the SG16 in 2.5" Cheddites with American Select and finds them to work perfect. I found I could fit 3/4oz of shot with that combination although my wads are marked as 2116. Believe those are SG16's; multiple pins over the powder rather than fewer, wider tabs. My hulls might be a bit shorter than the ones used with the 7/8oz combination, but either way they crimp well. Only negative was the time spent on the original cutting down of the hulls.

I've also experimented with the CB0078 in a short hull, using DR16 data, but really bought them for use in uncut RGL hulls. It won't hurt to stumble across a nice 3/4oz or 7/8oz combination using them in short Cheddites.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

These issues are why I will never walk away from the 12 gauge. I no longer own any 20 gauge shotguns, but the same could be said for the 20. I now have a 12 SxS I like set up for targets, and a "upland" style 12 gauge OU that also crosses over nicely for clays. I still shoot a lot of 16 gauge ammo, but I let the 12 carry a big share of the load. Wink

I hope the DR-16's come through!
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total