16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wads for 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads in straight walled hulls
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:23 am  Reply with quote

For straight walled hulls, I load all my 3/4 & 7/8oz in a 2 1/2" hull and the SG-16 wad , Using Green Dot & International clays powder . Some of the 3/4oz loads require the addition of a cherrio ( no big deal ) . They load and shoot great. A lot of my guns are short chambered so it works out good for me .
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:37 am  Reply with quote

I just wish their commitment level matched that of our member who developed the wad. (or at the very least matched that of Remington, B&P, Claybuster, or Gualandi).

I have moved on due to a lack of stable supply. I exclusively use my RGL hulls for 7/8 oz loads using the new claybuster wads. I can also get once fired hulls from a close supplier pretty much anytime I desire them at $0.10 each.

I do feel for you sporting guys that go through 1,000's of light loads each year.

I still have a bag or more with your name on it here Jeff if I make it up your way before the supply returns.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
JNW
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:40 am  Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks for your comment. As stated, my goal is light loads, easily assembled with no fuss. The 15/16 oz option is most likely how I will go if the DR16 is unavailable. Like many on here I'm a busy professional and my fun time is precious. I do like reloading, but I'd rather spend my time shooting than cutting hulls, stuffing felt wads into plastic wads or flinging breakfast cereal or legumes into my reloads.
Anyone got their shipment from Recob's yet?
Regards,
Jeff
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
those ''old'' days are here right now GG !

I doubt Down Range will be folding up their tent and disappearing any time soon. If they do, then we can turn to Clay Buster. Their new 7/8 ounce WW16AA clone will help fill our needs. It's nothing more than a DR16 with a slightly deeper shot cup and a slightly shorter expansion section between the shot cup and the wad base. I know the wad will work just fine w/ 28 ga card wad fillers as needed.

Like I've already stated, properly selected filler wads are not the hassle some folks claim they are. Anyone who can pop peanuts into their mouth while watching the boob tube can easily do it. It's more about attitude than aptitude IMO. All it really takes is a slight adjustment to the gears in one's noggin. Laughing
Sam Ogle
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

I am in Hastings at least once a week. (This 73-year old guy drives a wholesale floral van 3 days a week.)
I don't know where DR is, but could find it.
The last time I bought DR16's; I bought a case of 5,000, thinking "Lifetime supply."
Hah! Well, not quite.
Anyway, I will try to simply stop by one day next week and inquire as to supply.
Perhaps he doesn't want to begin making them until he has enough orders to make it worthwhile.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE