16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New options for non-tox?
chiendog
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:05 am  Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just posted a longish article on my blog exploring with is currently available to me (and others like me) looking for non-tox options in 16 (and 20) gauge shells.

I am sure that most of you here are quite familiar with what is available in the US and Canada (basically all the usual suspects, tungsten, bismuth, niceshot, steel) but I figured you may also be interested to see what is available in Europe. It seems that in addition to all the same stuff we have here, they've been using zinc/tin shot for a while and are just now rolling out new shotshells loaded with solid copper shot. So far, they are only available in 12 gauge loads, but I am sure we will soon be seeing them in other gauges. Solid copper shot is also available for reloading, and while more expensive than lead or steel, is less than half the price of bismuth.

They have also established standards for steel loads specifically designed for non-steel approved guns and most of the major ammo makers are offering steel loads that are, according to them at least, safe for all guns and chokes.

You can read the whole article here:http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2015/05/after-lead.html
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:55 am  Reply with quote

I'd wonder what the ballistics and hardness would be for copper or zinc/tin

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
chiendog
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

Copper is softer and heavier than steel, but harder and lighter than lead. Here are some observations I gathered from doing research for the article.

I think the ammo makers in Europe that are now using solid copper shot are getting their shot from the same supplier. I noticed that they all announced their new loads at about the same time (during the hunting/gun/outdoor fair season in Europe) and they are all offering more or less the same shot sizes. There are a few differences of course, Vouzelaud is using a bio-degradable wad for example, but it seems that everyone's copper shot may be coming from Siarm in Italy. See: http://www.siarm.com/index.p....b68ttg4

And after a quick google search I found that a price comparison for a pound of # 6 shot in Lead, Steel, Copper, Niceshot and Hevi-Shot looks something like this:

Lead: $0.50
Steel: $2.00
Copper: $11.00
Bismuth: $25.00
Niceshot: $29.00
Hevi-shot $35.00

I will leave it up to the reloading experts here to figure out what a decent 16 gauge upland load would cost per shot because I have no idea what hulls, wads, power and primers cost or how much shot you'd need of each type for a decent upland load. But it seems to me that copper might be a pretty decent choice, at least in terms of price. And since it is softer and heavier than steel, it may be ok for classic side by sides.

In the US, copper is approved as an ingredient (up to 45% or so) in shot types that combine various elements (and plastics). But pure copper shot is not on the list of approved alternatives to lead shot...yet (maybe never?)

Here is the list of the stuff that is OK where non-tox is required:
http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/CurrentBirdIssues/nontoxic.htm
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

A quick guess would put larger loads in the $0.90 to $1.00 for me if reloading at $11 per pound. A slight more than what federal factor steel shot loads run ($0.80 per shot).

I'd assume the tin/zinc stuff would be less than the copper shot your seeing?

I'd love to get up to around 1-1/6 oz or more of something reasonable priced for waterfowl in a 16 ga.

Interesting stuff.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
chiendog
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

Zinc/Tin shells are a bit less expensive than the new copper shells, but not by much as far as I can tell. There are also different formulations, even more or less pure tin shot shells. So far, I have not found anyone offering loose shot for reloading, just factory made cartridges. I will keep digging though.

Apparently, tin shot may be approved here. Zinc, probably not. See: http://www.fws.gov/lab/shotpellets.php
chiendog
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Here is a link to Tunet brand Zinc/Tin shells in 16 gauge. They are just over one Euro per shot, 29.90 euros for a box of 25. A box of 25 copper shells (in 12 gauge mind you) is about 49.90, so nearly 2 euros per shot.

http://www.chassezdiscount.com/cartouches-zinc-etain-24g-cal16-tunet,fr,4,101G590-TUNET-24h.cfm

-Longueur : 70mm, (2 3/4)

-Poids : 24g, (7/8 ounce)

*Disponible en N° 4.5 et 5.5. (available in shot sizes 4.5 and 5.5)

chiendog
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Italian maker Clever Mirage makes a shell called Tinzinc http://www.clevervr.com/catalog/no-toxic

Here is what they say about it:

• Non toxic
• Complying with wood industry requirements
• Softer than Steel: 38 HV (Steel = 100 HV!)
• Faster than Lead

Technical Features
• Caliber Available : 12
• Length: 70 mm and 76 mm Magnum
• Brass: 16 mm – Martignoni case
• Primer: 688
• Powder: M92S
• Wad: LB Steel (used only to consolidate the pattern, not because of the hardness of the shot)
• Loadings: 32 gr. Standard and 35 gr. Magnum
• Pellets available: 2.75 mm - 3.00 mm – 3.30 mm – 3.50 mm – 4.00 mm (Magnum only)
• Packaging: boxes of 10 pcs. and Master box of 200 pcs.
Velocity at V0 (2.5 m.) 32 gr. : 405 m/sec 35 gr. : 415 m/sec
Pressure: 32 gr. : 780/800 bar ( ± 50) 35 gr. : 870 bar ( ± 50)

ALL THESE PRODUCTS ARE HIGH PERFORMANCE CARTRIDGES

MIRAGE ® - TINZINC ® cartridge is a good alternative at reasonable prices to other No Toxic cartridges (Tungsten or Bismuth, for example)

• Suitable for all kind of games
• Round and consistent pellets, for perfect patterns and high velocity
• Faster than steel shot ( at 20 m., with the same velocity V0 = 405 m/sec)
• High efficiency for hard hitting, deep penetration and high knock-down performance
• High consistent patterns at distance between 25 m. and 40 m., with good results also at longer distances.
• No pellets breaking up as with bismuth shots.
• No problems of rebounds on hard materials (rocks, stones, etc.) as with steel and tungsten shots.
• Pellets softer than most shotgun barrels and chokes.
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:19 am  Reply with quote

Most ? Most barrels and chokes ?

chiendog
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:34 am  Reply with quote

bigboyd4466 wrote:
Most ? Most barrels and chokes ?

Using 'most' (or other words like virtually, nearly, almost) is a common way to allow for some wiggle room in the ad copy. Saying 'all' would paint them into a corner if somewhere, somehow barrels exist (hand made? wood? aluminum? who knows?) that are in fact softer than Tinzinc.