16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheerios ?
Boats
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Question for you Cheerios loaders. Have loaded a lot of 10 G and 12 G with Fiber wads. Easy to use, cut to size and make the shot column stack any height you want. On crimp they have a little bit of spring which makes for a nice finish. Not having any the right size fibers for 16 Hulls have been experimenting with Cheerios.

RGL Hulls 16.8 of Unique 3/4 and 7/8 oz # 7 1/2. Have two wads, small quantity of DR 16's and two bags of Claybuster 0078's As expected with 3/4 oz either wad needs a filler. 2 Cheerios raises the shot about right. Issue with the Cheerios is if the Cheerio crushes on crimp the crimp collapses and a bad shell is the result. Went to 7/8 oz which is a bit more than I want to use. Cheerio is about right with 7/8 and less likely to crush.

Also seems the CB 0078 having a bump in the bottom of the wad produces more poor shells. DR 16 flat bottomed works better. We all know the DR out of stock story.

So keep experimenting with Cheerios or just buy some 28 G fiber wads and load like I do with other gauges ?

Should add I have two Parker Trojans almost identical size fit and weight, One is a 20 and use 3/4 oz other is a 16. It kicks too much for 100 shot sporting clays courses when loaded 1 oz. & so far my loads that crimp nice are all 18 of Unique 1 oz using the Claybuster with no fillers. Have to find a way to load the gun light.

Boats

--
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Boats

"My name is Mike and I am a Cheerio user."

If you are getting collapsed crimps you do not have enough volume in the filler and shot combo.

A proper wad would be best, see you nay sayers, I said it first Very Happy

But lacking that, one more Cheerio would help. With the frangibility of Cheerios you need the shot level a bit higher than normal and let the crimp die do the work.

You are putting the cheerio under the shot? I find that the best way.

Mike

P.S. But wads are good also and you can get them here

http://www.circlefly.com/html/wad_sizing_chart.html

But the BEST way is to load in 2 1/2 hulls and use the DR wad, SWEET !!

Boats
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Opps double post

See the next one

Boats

Last edited by Boats on Thu May 21, 2015 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boats
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Well said on the 2 1/2's. My spreader load is in a 2 1/2 inch hull roll crimped with a Polywad on top. Works perfect. Need a higher volume load, by volume I mean load lot more shells, fold crimped. Shot height is right long as the Cherrio under the shot stays intact. Crushes shot drops and that's when I get the bad crimp. You can feel it at the crimp station.

Normally buy from Ballistic products will have a look at circle fly

Boats

Last edited by Boats on Fri May 22, 2015 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
JNW
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

Boats,
In my hands with an RGL, American Select or Promo and a DR16 wad I get a perfect 3/4 oz load going about 1250 fps. Very surprised you need a filler.
I have avoided fillers so far, but instead of a Cheerio, which will almost certainly get crushed, I would consider using a bean of some sort.
Regards,
Jeff
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

And I fold crimp my 2 1/2 loads to provide a load with less shot and less recoil
Mike
sneem
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

I recently got a bag of .410 1/8 inch felt wads to use as filler. They work fine. Put one in the bottom of the shot cup and dump the shot. They don't compress much and take up just enough room.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:18 pm  Reply with quote

Since the post is directed at cheerios users, I'm not invited to respond; but since I don't take directions well, I'll put in my two cents. Instead of cheerios which seem to me to be subject to the disintegration that you describe, I use Styrofoam or whatever the material is called that is used for meat trays for packaging meat in a grocery store or doggie-boxes for leftovers from restaurants. I use a punch that cuts a half inch disc. Yield from one tray is several hundred discs. Depending on the wad, generally I can place the disc (or two) in the shot cup when putting the wad in the wad guide and there's very little extra effort. crimps work very well and don't breakdown.
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:34 am  Reply with quote

I bought a bag of Cheerios when I started reloading all brass hulls using C&F wads. The bag is still unopened because my fiber wads can be easily split allowing for the correct wad column height.
Boats
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Digging through my components bins found some 28 G Nitro Cards that drop nice inside the Claybuster wad, takes up a bit more space than one Cherrio. Have some 16 G 1/2 inch fibers too, using them in 10 G shot cups to cut capacity, too big to drop inside a 16 G shot cup. Going to play with both see what I can make work. Then place a order.

Looks like 28 G 1/2 inch fibers are the way to go. Appears Ballistic products fiber wads are Circle Fly's

Cherrios are in the pantry now will eat them for breakfast.

Boats
Carlos
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Years ago, friend and shooting mentor advised using a fired 209 primer instead of a cheerio. Not sure what it did to bores;- very little damage in my experience due to protective shot cups, but I used it in 12 gauges (No harm- no foul!). The compromise of a bean sounds great.

I have used wads punched from foam tray material the same way. This is now my first choice.
goathoof
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:02 am  Reply with quote

I may try dropping the lead, and go for an all dried bean load. Laughing There are many little hard legumes to try. Would not need much powder and could use cut-down hull. Could work on my pack rats that plague our property this time of year. Razz
Boats
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Solved it, sort of.

1/8 inch 28 G Nitro card in the bottom of the Claybuster shot cup makes the right height with 3/4 oz shot. Crimps are fine

Nitro card is limiting though can't be split. Am going to order some 28 G Fiber wads that can be split to the exact stack height desired

For the record that powder charge and shot weight is unproven. Am taking it to the range to pattern later. With the Fiber wads I can bump the powder charge or shot charge up or down to make it just right

Boats
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Boats, you might wish to search up Circle Fly Wads on the net. They are based in PA and can provide you w/ just about any type of card wad you want in any size. They also sell in bulk direct at the best prices I've ever found.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

16GG, see above please, second post Smile