16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Okay, How's This One?
gjw
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:37 am  Reply with quote

Hi all, well in your opinion, how does this one look?

Cheddite 2 3/4 1 1/8 Longshot 22.5 Ched. 209 SG16 7,050 1220

See any problems or issues? This was taken from the 16ga LP Group Spread sheet

Thanks so much!

Greg
JMS
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

I'd load a dozen or so up and try them. Wad should be fine in that hull with Longshot in terms of migration issues. Only question is how it will pattern at the range you intend to shoot at? A fair amount of your 1 1/8oz of shot column will be above the top of the SG16 wad and unprotected which may lead to more barrel scrub, more fliers and more open patterns than you want, especially with smaller shot sizes. Larger shot should tighten the pattern up some, if this ends up being an issue. On the other hand, your guns may really like the load and it will do exactly what you want it to do. The only way you will know is to pattern some, and that's part of the fun of reloading anyway - dialing in a custom load that really performs. Hope it works out for you.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Greg, that looks like a nice load. As suggested pattern and as suggested on another thread throw some in the freezer over night to see how they shoot in cold weather. Keep us posted!

Matt
gjw
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

JMS wrote:
I'd load a dozen or so up and try them. Wad should be fine in that hull with Longshot in terms of migration issues. Only question is how it will pattern at the range you intend to shoot at? A fair amount of your 1 1/8oz of shot column will be above the top of the SG16 wad and unprotected which may lead to more barrel scrub, more fliers and more open patterns than you want, especially with smaller shot sizes. Larger shot should tighten the pattern up some, if this ends up being an issue. On the other hand, your guns may really like the load and it will do exactly what you want it to do. The only way you will know is to pattern some, and that's part of the fun of reloading anyway - dialing in a custom load that really performs. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks so much, I appreciate the insight. I'd rather use the Z16 wad, but the recipe calls for the SG16. The only size shot I'b using is #6 and #5. The #6 would be shot out of a tighter choked bbl and the #5 out of both a more open choke and tighter one ( I shoot SxS's).

So, in your opinion does the pressure look right for that powder charge?

Thanks so much!

Greg
JMS
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

I'm far from being an expert, but psi seems a little low. Here are two similar 1 1/8 oz loads from Lyman 5th Edition pages 183 and 186:

Fiocchi Hull
Fio 616 Primer
SG16 Wad
Longshot 22.5 gr
1200 fps / 7,700 psi

Winchester Plastic Hull with Plastic Basewad (possibly Cheddite equivalent)
Win 209 Primer
SG16 Wad
Longshot 22.5 gr
1243 fps / 8,300 psi

The hulls and primers are different but other components the same. PSI from both of these publish loads is quite a bit higher than your load.

I have loaded and shot some of the first load and it kills sharptail and Hungarian partridge, but haven't really patterned it to know what it is doing exactly. All the birds I have shot with the load have been under 30 yards or so.

There is another 1 1/8 oz load in the Lyman Book that you might want to check out if you like the z-16 wad and have some Federal hulls - page 181:

Federal Hull
Win 209 Primer
B. P. Trap Commander (z-16) wad
Longshot 24.5 gr
1237 fps /6,500 psi

I personally prefer the SP-16 over the Z-16. Z-16 patterns well at the board, but for whatever reason, I can't seem to hit birds with this wad in a load. The only way I have been able to make it work is to split the petals before seating the wad. I could be wrong, but just my personal experience. There are many folks on this site that are more knowledgeable than me when it comes to reloading for 16 ga...I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject, just giving you some personal observations for whatever it's worth.

Good luck.
gjw
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

JMS wrote:
I'm far from being an expert, but psi seems a little low. Here are two similar 1 1/8 oz loads from Lyman 5th Edition pages 183 and 186:

Fiocchi Hull
Fio 616 Primer
SG16 Wad
Longshot 22.5 gr
1200 fps / 7,700 psi

Winchester Plastic Hull with Plastic Basewad (possibly Cheddite equivalent)
Win 209 Primer
SG16 Wad
Longshot 22.5 gr
1243 fps / 8,300 psi

The hulls and primers are different but other components the same. PSI from both of these publish loads is quite a bit higher than your load.

I have loaded and shot some of the first load and it kills sharptail and Hungarian partridge, but haven't really patterned it to know what it is doing exactly. All the birds I have shot with the load have been under 30 yards or so.

There is another 1 1/8 oz load in the Lyman Book that you might want to check out if you like the z-16 wad and have some Federal hulls - page 181:

Federal Hull
Win 209 Primer
B. P. Trap Commander (z-16) wad
Longshot 24.5 gr
1237 fps /6,500 psi

I personally prefer the SP-16 over the Z-16. Z-16 patterns well at the board, but for whatever reason, I can't seem to hit birds with this wad in a load. The only way I have been able to make it work is to split the petals before seating the wad. I could be wrong, but just my personal experience. There are many folks on this site that are more knowledgeable than me when it comes to reloading for 16 ga...I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject, just giving you some personal observations for whatever it's worth.

Good luck.

Thanks so very much. I've seen those loads as well in Lymans. But, if you've used the first load with success, I think I'll go with that one. The pressure is within the limits I want and more realistic compared to some of the others. I don't shoot at birds past 40 yards and most of my shots are within 35 yards. I wanted to use the load with the Z16 wad, but I called Hogden and they had that recipe, but their pressure was at 9000psi.

Interesting comments on the Z16 & SG16 wads, sometimes "real" world is a whole lot different!

Thanks again for the great info!

Best,

Greg