16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Question On A Load
gjw
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Hi all, this is just one of those "I'm curious" type question.

Anyway, I'm looking at this published load for my vintage 16ga guns:

2 3/4" Fiocchi Hull
Fio 616 Primer
SG16 wad
22.5grns Longshot
1 1/8oz
7700psi
1200fps

The bushing I'm using is throwing 21.9 to 22.1 depending on the throw (I do weigh each of my powder throws BTW for my hunting loads).

I know this is hard to answer, but what the heck, with the reduction of the powder throw, how much drop in pressure and velocity do you see?

Thanks so much!

Greg
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:24 am  Reply with quote

I bought this and weigh my powder charges http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-98923-Combo-110V-AC-Chargemaster/dp/B00139UC6O/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1434813789&sr=8-38&keywords=rcbs+reloading+equipment
Now if someone would just make one for shot, I'd be set, That way my powder charge is what I want. Bushings are affected by too many outside influences
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Best keep one point in mind here. The wood on many vintage break open guns can be brittle. Increased recoil from heavier loads can be a problem. You might wish to stay w/ mild one ounce loads or lighter depending on the gun and how old it is.
gjw
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the advise, but that was not the question I asked, but hey, fine by me, someone can always learn something new.

BTW, each of my vintage guns have had there stocks and actions inspected, with a clean bill of health. Others may not, so either they should get them inspected or go low pressure/velocity.

I do have one observation, it seems whenever someone posts about a recipe (for vintage guns that is) that has a 1200fps or so velocity, it seems that there is lament about wood cracking etc. If the loads are to be used for hunting, we're not talking about high volumn shooting, just a few rounds. I doubt this will cause all that much stress, unless the wood is really bad or cracked already.

That being said, no one seems to care that RST loads are at 1200fps, only reloads. When someone asks about what load to shoot in a vintage gun.....the answer....RST's! I guess factory 1200fps is not the same as reload 1200fps. Just an observation.

Best,

Greg
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

When it comes to recoil energy, the total mass of the ejecta is the biggest factor. Shot load weight makes up the biggest part of the total mass. Velocity has some influence, but peak pressures don't.

All it takes is one shot with a sharply recoiling load to snap an old brittle stock wrist. Then it's either too late to fix the problem so it won't show or very expensive if done by a skilled master. Even then, completely hiding visible damage can't be guaranteed.

I know a fair number of vintage gun collectors. Many of them recommend having the stock wrists and other bearing surfaces of vintage hunting guns reinforced with strong added materials and epoxy or glass bedding inside where it won't show. I think that is very wise advice.
gjw
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'm aware of the payload/recoil factors. But, it's good to bring those points up.

Thanks again!

Greg
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

I am baffled by the use of decimal points in powder weights for shotguns. There are so many other factors in shot shell performance the efect of a fraction of a grain is undetectable. This aint bench rest.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
JNW
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

I think you will have a loss in velocity of 20-50 fps and a drop in pressure of 200-500 psi, but that's a guesstimate. Not enough to matter. Sounds like a great pheasant load.
Regards,
Jeff
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:22 am  Reply with quote

gjw wrote:
Thanks guys for the advise, but that was not the question I asked, but hey, fine by me, someone can always learn something new.

BTW, each of my vintage guns have had there stocks and actions inspected, with a clean bill of health. Others may not, so either they should get them inspected or go low pressure/velocity.

I do have one observation, it seems whenever someone posts about a recipe (for vintage guns that is) that has a 1200fps or so velocity, it seems that there is lament about wood cracking etc. If the loads are to be used for hunting, we're not talking about high volumn shooting, just a few rounds. I doubt this will cause all that much stress, unless the wood is really bad or cracked already.

That being said, no one seems to care that RST loads are at 1200fps, only reloads. When someone asks about what load to shoot in a vintage gun.....the answer....RST's! I guess factory 1200fps is not the same as reload 1200fps. Just an observation.

Best,

Greg

+1

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I use about 3 more grains of Longshot than that in my old 1919 made Parker.
Usually an ounce and a 16th load, or only 1oz.
Pheasants don't like it. Parker doesn't seem to mind.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:48 am  Reply with quote

I suppose that load could probably be cut to 2.5" or 2 9/16"" and roll crimped for even a bit lower pressure, if one was worried about that.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Should have mentioned, my loads are short hulls and roll crimped.
Have had tested and yes, are lower pressure.