16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Unique Load data
jswanson
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

I have been given some reloaded shells. I have fired these while shooting trap with the person that loaded them and using his gun. Seems to work ok; goes bang, targets break, not much recoil.

I have never used Unique in anything other than pistol cartridge's so I was taking look at the data sources I have and can't fin a comparable load. Most loads I am finding show 19.5 to 22 gr.

I am especially interested as I have acquired a fair supply of this powder.

The load is :

Hull = RGL - 6 pt crimp
Wad = Clay buster
Powder = 18.4 gr. Unique
Shot = 1oz. 7 1/2
Primer ??

I know the primer can be a big variable but I can't fine any load data using this small amount of powder.

Can someone offer an opinion based on data I don't have or first hand experience with Unique?

Thanks

Joe

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Unique is a fairly predictable, flexible smokeless powder from many types of reloading applications. It has been considered the gold standard by many 16 gauge reloaders for one ounce loads ever since the powder was introduced by Hercules back at the turn of the 20th Century. I won't argue with tradition on this one. It's always my first choice for my one ounce 16 gauge loads (and my 3/4 ounce 28 gauge loads too).

I think your loads w/ 18.6 grains of Unique will be fine from a safety standpoint. As memory serves, somewhere around 20 grains of Unique is about max for a one ounce load with the components you've listed if a standard strength primer is selected. Your load would be fine with any 209 sized primer including magnum strength primers like the Federal 209A or the CCI 209 Mag.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Joe,
YUP
What 16gg said
Mike

ars1876
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

My .16 ga. unique load for the past 30 years has been 19.5 in all of the hulls,including the Fiocchi.I match the primer to the hull and use Win AA wads,SG16,CB AA clones,Active,and the Rem R16.I usually load 7/8 oz as you don't need anything heavier to break clays.I shoot about 3,500 of these a year.Unique also works well in .20 & .28 ga.
jswanson
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, I guess I need to buy some new books.

Joe

dap
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:34 am  Reply with quote

The spreadsheet I downloaded a while back ( from either SPR310 or Old Hunter) shows the following:

Hull=RP SP 16 Plastic
Shot=1 oz.
Powder=Unique
Chrg Wgt=19
Primer=Rem 209P
Wad=WAA16
Velocity=1165
Pressure=8,600
Reference=Alliant 1998
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:06 am  Reply with quote

jswanson wrote:
Thanks Guys, I guess I need to buy some new books.

Joe

Joe, when it comes to reloading the 16 ga., you might be better off finding some of the older out of print manuals and older free reloading guides going back to the mid-1970's and later from the various powder companies. There is wealth of 16 ga. reloading info in them. Frankly, I could not get by w/o my library of old manuals and reloading guides.

Look for the free reloading guides in the back rooms and dark corners of any shops which sell guns, reloading equipment, and components. Most of these old booklets are long forgotten dust collectors which are free for the taking if you politely ask. In the past, I've had shop owners beg me to take these old booklets off their hands and have left the shop with stacks of them for redistribution at my club and among my friends.

You might also nose around in any of the dusty stacks of reading material at any gun club you visit. It never hurts to ask about them too. Quite a few of the skeet and trap shooters I've known are glad to hand them on to a fellow reloader/shooter. That's where I found most of mine. Good luck and good hunting.