16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Green Dot vs. Hodgdon International
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Somewhere in what used to be my mind I seem to recall that Green Dot can be used in place of International in 16 ga. recipes.

Is my memory correct or has it turned into a sieve and everything just goes right through it?
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:38 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know how it relates to International, but Green Dot is the powder tht I use for all the 16 ga loads that are less than 1 oz (those being 5/8, 3/4, & 7/8 oz)- generally is 16.6 grains (because that's what the bushing tosses).
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:46 am  Reply with quote

Here some data that compares the two .

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12804&highlight=sg16%20Today%20at%206:33%20PM

In these loads seams GD is slightly hotter .
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

I think what you may remember reading is that International is Hodgdon's answer to Alliant's Green Dot. So if you run out of one you can use the other for approximately the same performance........but you need different loading data for each powder.

Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, that sounds about right. It looks like my next step is to send some loads to Tom Armbrust for testing.

Thank you.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Art, pm sent
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:18 am  Reply with quote

The three Hodgdon Clays powder series, Clays, International Clays, and Universal Clays, were introduced a couple of decades ago in order to directly compete with the three most popular Hercules/Alliant Dot powders. The Clays series were initially cleaner burning. Alliant cleaned up the Dot Powder series about a decade ago, so there is no longer a noticable advantage in that respect. The three Alliant Dot powders are usually less expensive on average.

International Clays is designed to directly compete w/ Green Dot. Interantional Clays is less dense than Green Dot, so weighed charges are not equivalent. However, volumetrically equal charges are also very close ballistic equals. Simply use the same powder bushing to throw acceptable charges of either powder.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

International Clays is designed to directly compete w/ Green Dot. Interantional Clays is less dense than Green Dot, so weighed charges are not equivalent. However, volumetrically equal charges are also very close ballistic equals. Simply use the same powder bushing to throw acceptable charges of either powder.

Where exactly did you come up with that .

I did volumetric bushing drops GD verses International Clays , did an average for 20 drops each same bushing.

The bushing I was using drops an average of GD 13.6 grains to International 15.0 grains .

So your saying that 13.6 grains of GD is ballistically equal to 15.0grains of international all else being the same in a load .
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

16GG

I think I'm missing something: Clays, Int Clays & Univ Clays were to compete directly with Hercules Dot powders?? I doubt it. They are similar to Red Dot, Green Dot and Unique, NOT the other Dot, Blue Dot. When you give advice and try to come off as an Ex-spurt, please at least make an effort at having your information correct.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:33 am  Reply with quote

I have to come to GG's defense here. OK, so he missed a Dot -- nothing Unique about that. But we knew what he was saying, and he was basically right. For sure he was right about Hodgdon's intent to compete directly with the three most popular target powders in the Alliant/Hercules line.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:05 am  Reply with quote

From fn16ga.

Where exactly did you come up with that . I did volumetric bushing drops GD verses International Clays , did an average for 20 drops each same bushing.

The bushing I was using drops an average of GD 13.6 grains to International 15.0 grains .

So your saying that 13.6 grains of GD is ballistically equal to 15.0grains of

international all else being the same in a load .[/quote]

Thanks for your input here fn16ga. Things might have significantly changed since I last used any of the Hodgdon Clays series of powders.

Back in the mid-1990's I was a registered trap shooter at a very active ATA affiliated club. Several of my fellow registered trap shooters and I were very interested in the then new Hodgdon Clays series of powders for obvious reasons. We individually tested the new Hodgdon powders in comparison to the Hercules Dot powders on various progressive reloaders and other equipment we individually owned and used.

I'm basing my info on the results I got from the powder throw weights and the trap ammo I reloaded on the two MEC Grabber 76R models I owned at that time. Others used Ponsness Warren and Hornady/Pacific 366 progressive reloaders. We all got very close results in comparison, but none of them were identical.

At that time, I saw no real advantages to switching from the Hercules Dot powders I'd been using to the new Clays powders. I was very happy with my trap loads. A couple of the other members went to Clays and International Clays and were happy with theirs. However, over the next half dozen trap shooting seasons or so, none of us saw any significant differences in our loads or our scores which could have been attributed to one powder brand over the other.

Admittedly, I've not reloaded or shot any trap or other loads using the Clays series of powders since that time, so things might have changed by now. I do know that Powder manufacturers modify products over time. I also know that Hodgdon sources muchif not most of its powders from various contracted manufacturers based all over the globe and changes sources every so often as well. On top of thet, Alliant has made some design changes to the Dot series of powders as well.

I think is best that anyone take any of the info I offer at any time as a guideline or suggestion and never as an absolute. It is always best to check the individual results we get when using the reloading equipment and components we have on hand. That would be the smartest approach.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

GG - I think basically you are correct . You just have to have a knowledge of the powder charts and recheck on a scale . That goes with shot also . I basically wrote off that mag shot was equal and watched out for soft . Now , after really watching the scales for the super mag , my little digital scale is about wore out ! By the way for 600 grns of shot , the FED 6 shot we recovered takes the 11/2 lee dropper setting , and Eagle takes 13/8 . As much as shotgunning isn't an EXACT science , it does take a little work to keep shots similar .

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:32 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
GG - I think basically you are correct . You just have to have a knowledge of the powder charts and recheck on a scale . That goes with shot also... .

Your point is well taken. The various manufacturers' powder and shot bushing charts are all merely loose guidelines and nothing more. None of them should ever be taken at face value. None of them closely agree with each other. All of the listed specific powder throw weights are all too heavy. The actual weighed throw weights are always light by two or more grains. This is done to avoid the possibility of any valid legal claims against the various companies.

Powder bushing charts have significantly changed over the last five decades and reflect the changes to the various powders. Plus, a lot of the powders listed have been discontinued and no longer exist except perhaps as very old and/or forgotten stocks. Some of the most recently published charts are merely reprints of older ones and are considerably out of date as well.

Individual reloading equipment and techniques vary--sometimes significantly. I've seen this myself as I've reloaded shells and have periodically check weighted the powder drops thrown by my (by now) three MEC 12 gauge 76 and 76R series Grabbers. Individual powder bushing of the same number or designation also vary. My presses vary to some degree over time as they have been worn in and have smoothed up, or have been periodically serviced and lubed. Even my personal loading techniques have changed over time.

The answer to the problem is to use an accurate powder scale to periodically check weigh all initially thrown charges until an accurate average charge weight is known for that specific lot of powder at that specific time on that specific equipment. Otherwise, we are merely guessing.