16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR 16 Performance
jswanson
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:30 am  Reply with quote

I recently noticed that the DR-16 wads don't fully open. I'm shooting 7/8 oz at between 1100 and 1200 fps. Any one else see this happening??

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Yes, but does not affect the patterning.

Have you tested the pattern in your guns using these wads??

Enjoy the day
Mike

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Most wads that have stitching, will not break every tab 100% of the time.

..........and it has no effect on pattern or velocity.

jswanson
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:54 am  Reply with quote

[quote="skeettx"]Yes, but does not affect the patterning.

Have you tested the pattern in your guns using these wads??

Enjoy the day
Mike[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I suspected it wouldn't matter.

No, I haven't Patterned them, I don't shoot anywhere near well enough to blame my guns for the misses.

Besides if I didn't like the patterns I might have to do something about it. I don't need any more projects.

Joe

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:40 am  Reply with quote

I've had plenty of loads with plastic wad petals which have failed to fully spread open when fired. I've never witnessed any evidence that the patterns have been adversely affected as long as some part of the wad does not mix in with the shot on its way up the barrel. Once out of the barrel, the shot swarm is long gone before a plastic wad can affect how the load patterns.

Loads with badly cocked and/or squashed, misshapen wads or loads which have petals mistakenly folded into the shot column and crimped as is are another matter. The results are never good. However, the evidence of such is almost always readily apparent when the spent wad is examined.
kgb
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:51 am  Reply with quote

A local clay shooter has noticed petals not separating with 12ga DR wads made for 7/8oz loads. Does not appear to be a detriment, but it does happen with some wads at least sometimes.

grouse gunner
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

I read somewhere that if one is using a poly-wad type spreader in combination with a stitched wad, it can adversely effect the patterns if the petals don't separate completely. It has to do with the intact petals not allowing the spreader to work as designed.

To the best of my memory as I recall, the discussion was based on observed patterns on paper wherein some appeared "like slug loads" that did not spread fully as the poly-wads were supposed to. The problem only occurred when the stitches didn't separate. I think Gulandi wads were the subject of the observations. When the petals separated, the spreaders worked as intended and the resulting patterns were proper.

I can't imagine the DR 16 being used too frequently with poly-wad spreaders (it would have to be a pretty light load...not a lot of room for the spreader in that tall wad), but that would be the only time I'd be concerned at all about petal separation.

I have shot a bunch of DR 16 over the years including lots of dead doves and good skeet scores, without giving a second thought to whether or not the petals separated.

As mentioned, some of the regular experts here have done the pattern work and it is to be trusted, as is Dogchaser's knowledge and experience as a shooter and reloader, as well as working in the industry...like they said...no issue with worrying about petal separation.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Grouse gunner,

That article where you read that is not correct. Poly wads work just fine with Gualandi and Baschieri & Pellagri wads those brands are stitched and they don't always separate.

wellshooter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

"No, I haven't Patterned them, I don't shoot anywhere near well enough to blame my guns for the misses.

Besides if I didn't like the patterns I might have to do something about it. I don't need any more projects."

AMEN ! To that bro !!

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight