16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Russsell Moccasin
jswanson
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:42 am  Reply with quote

I have recently had a problem with service at Russell. I sent a pair of my boots back for resole and when I got them back there was separation between the material at the sole. I resent them and got them back a second time with more separation that those I sent back. Not the usual service you would expect but things change. Anyone else had a similar experience lately.

Joe

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Joe,
I just sent in a pair of boots for resole a couple of days ago. Not sure if Ralph is still around and I know he was grooming his granddaughter to take over. If Ralph is still there I would call him but he is getting up there in his years.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

P.S. What sole? just curious.

Mike
jswanson
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Vibram Kletterlift, I had my insulated boots resoled with these several years ago and love them.. Now that I've worn out by air bob I want these for my non-insulated bird boots.

I am using these boot as is for the next week as I scheduled for a class over in Cornell and will be putting in a lot of woods time.

I hope they can get this corrected when I send them back for the second time.

Joe

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:38 pm  Reply with quote

I've purchased six or seven pairs of various Russell shoes/boots over the last 25 years, but the last thing I got was a pair of Veal Imperials about four years ago. they are fine and the repairs that I had done were longer ago than that; so I can't really speak to recent actions- but based on my experiences with them over the years, I'd expect that they'd fix whatever the problem is.
Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:50 am  Reply with quote

I would certainly agree with AmericanMeet that Russell will fix any problem. I have five pairs of their boots and they were all perfect the first time except the last pair. I finally got Ralph involved on that pair and they remade them and they were great.

Good Hunting,
Mike
jswanson
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

I would have thought they would have fixes well. However this was the second trip back to Russell. I called last week to check the status was told "we'll check witht he guy doing the work when he gets back and call you. Nada.

However, after sending them more pictures of the separation I got a call from Joe. He seemed very concerned that the problem was not fixed correctly the first time let alone the second. Told me to go ahead and where the boots next week as needed and them to return them directly to him and he would see to the proper repair.

Hopefully, I got the attention of the right guy.

Joe

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:03 am  Reply with quote

I live here and when I have a problem I walk the boots into the door, strike up a conversation with a smile and my deepest Southern accent, and watch them make the adjustment at the bench with them. Nice folks, just busy as the dickens. Great products. I'm recovering from bunion surgery so I can wear mine again this fall.

Reno

Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry for your troubles. I've been very happy with all my experiences. Hope it gets resolved!

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
jswanson
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Two Pipe Shoot"]I live here and when I have a problem I walk the boots into the door, strike up a conversation with a smile and my deepest Southern accent, and watch them make the adjustment at the bench with them. Nice folks, just busy as the dickens. Great products. I'm recovering from bunion surgery so I can wear mine again this fall.

Reno[/quote]
I too have walked in the door at that time the only person in the front was Ralph. The resulting conversation terminated with my ordering the boots currently in question. This has not been my usual experience hence my concern.

Joe

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the status is of Russell because I haven't been by there in the last two years. If I thought they were in trouble I'd try to get one last pair out of them. Last time I was there I noticed that they had added an equestrian line to the shelves. most likely demand is exceeding supply. I'll give them a call and report back. Reno

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

I spoke to Mr. Ralph today and he said that the operations future is secure and that they have more business than they can handle, demand exceeding supply is a good thing. 3-4 month turnaround. I'm going to wait five years before I buy my last pair, if then. All four pair are still going strong. Reno

Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Two Pipe Shoot wrote:
I spoke to Mr. Ralph today and he said that the operations future is secure and that they have more business than they can handle, demand exceeding supply is a good thing. 3-4 month turnaround. I'm going to wait five years before I buy my last pair, if then. All four pair are still going strong. Reno

good news
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

One of my more "experienced" pair of Russells, actually, the laces have been replaced.
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

Follow up to OP.
JSwanson did you get your issue resolved?

I sent boots in for a resole a few weeks after this post and they came back in two weeks with no problems. I was having the Olympia sole put on an old pair of South Forty Birdshooters. The Olympia sole only lasts two or three seasons but I like the additional cushioning they provide.

Good Hunting,
Mike