16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Favorite 3/4 oz. recipes-fire away!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:45 am  Reply with quote

I am curious as to what everyone's favorite 3/4 oz. load recipes are. Also of particular interest are recipes for WW comp hull in addition to straight wall hulls. Which load and what makes it your favorite (velocity, pattern, recoil, cost, doesn't tear up bird at close range, or whatever)? Stats like pressure and velocity are always handy. So have at folks, fire away.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

WW CF, W209, 16.6 Green Dot, DR16, 1 Styrofoam spacer, 3/4 oz #8.

Favorite because I can shoot 100 rounds in Sporting Clays and I'm as fresh as when I started. I don't know what the velocity/pressure is, but it patterns well enough that I score as well with it as I do with factory target loads.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Basically the same as AM ... 14.5 Red Dot and chedd primer being the diff . Stay at this for staright wall/Fed and drop to 13.5 for RGL's . My go to skeet load now .

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:29 am  Reply with quote

Wyo, I'm a RMC all brass hull fan and load a variety of recipes in 16 GA ranging from 3/4 oz. through 1 1/8 oz. loads. Here is my favorite 3/4 oz. recipe.

3/4 oz. of shot
18.3 grains Unique
Win primer, card wad, fiber filler.
1230fps, rated at 2 3/4 Dram. Equiv.
40 lbs. pressure on the wads.
RMC hulls accept 1-piece plastic wads, but for what ever reason the above recipe and many others work best using C&F wads.
The above patterns beautifully out of my AyA, is a effective for mountain grouse, dove and Huns over a pointing dog. Recoil is very minimal even out of a 6 lb. gun.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Here's mine. RGL hull, R16 wad w/ two 28 ga. .135" thick nitro card wads in the cup, 16 gr. Geen Dot, and a Noble Sport 209 (or Rem. Premier 209) primer. Velocity is just about 1200 FPS give or take a lttle. Pressures run about 8800 to 8900 PSI .

The same basic recipe works for 7/8 ounce loads just as well. I simply subtract one 28 ga filler wad. What could be easier. Pressures are just about 9200 PSI, and velocities run at about 1180 FPS. This load has been tested (not by me), and those are the results. Anyway, I know load pressures are easily handled by every gun I've fired these two loads in, that's a bunch.

I also substituted the R16 wad with some of the DR16 sample wads Nick Hammack kindly sent me several years ago. The loads crimped just as well as the R16 wad loads but w/o the need for filler wads. I'm guessing, that pressures and velocities were very close. Performance was just as good.

In fact, if I hadn't already bought 15K R16 wads in a bulk purchase a few years before Nick developed the DR16 wad, I'd have been using it from that point on. I just can't see wasting my stocks of R16 wads by letting them molder in my basement. I'm frugal--read that as tighter than a crab's butt at high tide!!! Laughing
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:

Just curious why would you need the spacer in that load ?
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
AmericanMeet wrote:

Just curious why would you need the spacer in that load ?

My die is set for 7/8 oz of shot, so when I only load 3/4 oz, the spacer (which is .5" punched meat tray) fills the missing 1/8 oz.