16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  First year Citori
buckmark
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

I've looked through my copy of the 1987 Browning catalog 100 times checking out the 2 page picture of the first ever 16g Citori, and thinking how cool it would have been if I'd been in the position to get one back then. Fast forward to now, and a great gent offers to sell me his 16g Citori. The pics look pretty nice so we strike a deal and its on its way to me. I get the gun and its even nicer than I thought, not a mark on it, in orig box with manual, chokes, everything. Back story is a friend of his bought himself a new Browning every year, and since the 16g was something different he ordered one. Then it sat in the box, untouched for years, til my seller bought it. He shot one round of skeet, then back into storage it went, til it was offered to me. Once this beauty was in my hands, I of course checked the date code, and to my surprise it's an '87! I'm so happy, never thought I'd have a first year Citori 16g, and an as new one to boot! This one is definitely a keeper.
[URL=http://s730.photobucket.com/user/JSsoloman1972/media/IMG_0680_zpsyhbc4jee.jpg.html] [/URL]

ars1876
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice.I took delivery of mine on nov 25 1987,$ 740. delivered from Cabelas in Sidney,Ne.I have over 30K through it & 3 recoil pads.It is semi retired right now as my 525 sporting gets the bulk of the target work.It is still in very good shape & has the original firing pins & springs.I still shoot a few 100 clays with it a couple of times a year.
Hyckory Styck
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice score, congratulations. I picked up an '89 Lightning 16 back in the spring and I love it. To own a first year gun would be awesome.

Revelation 16, 28"

A gun should be made of steel and wood, not alloy and plastic.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

IMO, the 1987 through 1990 Citori 16 gauge guns are the very best of the lot. It appears that Miroku took extra pains to get them right. I think they succeeded. The guns from those three production years are called, "long tang" models by those familiar with them. However, the 1994 limited production run were also "long tang" models. They were also very well made. The walnut found on the Grade III models from that year is stunning, and the fit and finish also match that found on the earlier guns from what I've seen.

Ironically, the serial numbers found on the 1987 16 gauge Citori Models designate them as Field versions. The guns sported Lightning style stocks. The butt stocks were not inletted out to the same extent as the later "Lightning" models made from 1988 on. The slightly heavier butt stock on your 1987 model might shift the balance point a bit to the rear. However, your gun appears to be a 28 inch model, so your gun might have a slightly more "between the hands" feel. You probably won't notice the shift as much as that found on the 1987 26 inch models.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy your 1987 Model as much as anyone else who owns a 16 gauge Citori. They really are special.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

My major duck gun, a 12 gauge Citori was made in 1974

My wife's major skeet gun is a 20 gauge Citori with 28 and 410 tube sets and was made in 1975

There is no engraving on either of these guns.

My 16 gauge Citori was made in PP (1988) and is a 723 Lightning Field

Here is box of another shotgun with 723, anyone else have a 723??

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hyckory Styck
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

Mine is a 723 Skeettx. It's interesting that the 723 isn't listed on Browning's serial number list.

Revelation 16, 28"

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

YES!!
That is why I included the picture of the box end
Mike

manofthewoods
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:21 am  Reply with quote

we have similar stories.

A few years ago my daughter and I stopped in a small new gun shop to kill a little time. Low and behold they had a citori in the glass gun case. A 16!!! I already had 2 and didn't need another. But, appeared new, was a 28" which would be good. Complete with one of those nice Browning cases (gotta be worth a couple hundred). Alas, no original box. So, now I have a first "run" Citori and a GR3 from the next year.

Talked 'em down to $1,200 Couldn't resist. Still haven't fired a shot through it. But certainly will.

I'd post a photo, but, it looks just like yours. Have fun with it.

One of mine has so much use that the bluing has worn off in parts from chasing: Huns, Sharpies, Sage Grouse, Ruffies + Blues (now called Sooty Grouse in MT), and of course the ever so wild and wily roosters! Ye ha! Fall is right around the corner!

Happy hunting!

Woody402
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

manofthewoods wrote:
we have similar stories.

A few years ago my daughter and I stopped in a small new gun shop to kill a little time. Low and behold they had a citori in the glass gun case. A 16!!! I already had 2 and didn't need another. But, appeared new, was a 28" which would be good. Complete with one of those nice Browning cases (gotta be worth a couple hundred). Alas, no original box. So, now I have a first "run" Citori and a GR3 from the next year.

Talked 'em down to $1,200 Couldn't resist. Still haven't fired a shot through it. But certainly will.

One of mine has so much use that the bluing has worn off in parts from chasing: Huns, Sharpies, Sage Grouse, Ruffies + Blues (now called Sooty Grouse in MT), and of course the ever so wild and wily roosters! Ye ha! Fall is right around the corner!

Happy hunting!

Want to part with it?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Hyckory Styck wrote:
Mine is a 723 Skeettx. It's interesting that the 723 isn't listed on Browning's serial number list.

NW makes it a 1994 model. Good production year IMO. The 723 designates it as a 16 gauge Lightning model. The PR (1987) 16 ga. Citori Models have a 725 code in the serial numbers (if memory serves me). That designates it as a 16 ga. Field model, but the stock configuration is actually pure Lightning. Perhaps buckmark will confirm if my memory is correct by checking the serial number of his.
Hyckory Styck
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

One thing I was unaware of until I bought mine was that the first few years were long tang guns. I was very excited to discover that as I am not a big fan of short tang. I only wish I had the original box for mine.

Revelation 16, 28"

manofthewoods
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am  Reply with quote

Woody402 wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
we have similar stories.

Happy hunting!

Want to part with it?

I probably should (work of late has been terrible). But, this one's a keeper. I'm going to list a 2 digit serial # Kings Ferry Ithaca 37 (16ga, of course) - soon.

buckmark
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

My serial # has PR123. PR puts it as an 87', but the 123 isn't listed on the Browning site either. Also, on the box end it lists the Model simply as Field, not Lightning Field like most I've seen.

Just4Fun
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

5xxxxPP723 is my serial, '88 similar to Skeettx. I have it documented as a Lightning Field model, 26" barrels. Don't have the box, though.

2lo8s
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:38 am  Reply with quote

First year 1987? What am I missing?
Mines date code PM...1980,
Invector choked, Long Tang Round Knob, 28"