16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Good powder for 16
fromtheplaines
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

I was asking a while about if fiochi hulls were any good since I was only getting one reload out of them. The feedback I got was the 16 ga hulls are just not made as strong. But the powder I was using which wAs green dot probaley didn't help. Is there a better powder to look for to make the hulls last longer
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Longshot is my 16ga powder.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
JNW
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

Green dot is s great powder for 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads in the 16 gauge. The powder was not your problem. Someone gave me a few hundred Fiocchi hulls several years ago. Some of them were split after their first firing and many more split after just one reload. My experience is that Fiocchi hulls are poor hulls for reloading. I much prefer Cheddite or Federal hulls. Good luck with your reloading.
Regards,
Jeff
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

I completely concur that the problem is the hull not the powder. I bought one flat of fiocchi loads with the idea of reloading the hulls. I will not repeat that mistake. 75% of the hulls split on initial firing.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
4setters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Ditto on the Fiochi hulls--poorest hulls available if you asked me. Buy 'em new, bang 'em, hope they eject, pick 'em up and put 'em in the trash.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:31 am  Reply with quote

I have only a few Fiocchi hulls and haven't had any experience in reloading fired ones, so can't speak to the hulls; but Green Dot is best suited for lighter loads in the 16 ga (less than 1 oz). It is my impression that pressure raises much more quickly than velocity if heavier loads either in weight of velocity is desired. in those loads I use a slower powder.
fromtheplaines
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

I have been shooting one ounce through them. I have found some formulas with remington I may try that. My single shot does not like federals, so I only have a handful of those hulls. Would 700x work well?
rkittine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:12 am  Reply with quote

I have been accumulating only Remington 16 Gauge Game loads. Fortunately get flats of factory 1 oz 8s for $65.00. Now have enough to load up to last through the winter. I have also accumulated Longshot and will be loading 1 1/16 oz no. 9s.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
df
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:23 am  Reply with quote

I use unique for target and field loads and
Longshot for pheasant loads.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 am  Reply with quote

I can't speak for the newer Fiocchi 16 ga. hulls. However, I've had excellent results reloading some of my most useful heavier duty hunting loads w/ the older all blue 16 gauge Fiocchi hulls from the late 90's through the early 2000's. These older blue hulls are very resilient for economy grade hulls.

However, most all plastic 16 gauge polyformed hulls are not designed w/ reloading in mind. They are designed for single use and economy. We have done well if we can get more than two loadings out of any of them IMO. Just how it is.

My most useful powder for 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads remains to be Green Dot. I've never found one better although Hodgdon's International Clays is probably just as good for the same applications.

Unique covers my one ounce hunting loads just about perfectly. Hodgson's Universal Clays is another good one here.

Herco is good for 1-1/8 ounce express hunting loads. So is 800X. Blue Dot remains my choice for 1-1/4 ounce magnum loads.
bowsniper295
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

I use 700x in my herters and rgl hulls. It works good I like it a lot. The only problem is its very high pressure and needs to be closely metered and there's not much data supporting it in 16ga.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:37 am  Reply with quote

14 to 14.5 grains of 700X works well for 3/4 ounce loads in an RGL hull under a Remington R16 wad w/ fillers or a DR16 wad w/o.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:34 am  Reply with quote

GG - that's exactly what I've been using now or the same amt of Red Dot with dr's . SWEET !!

SW39Tom
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all I am new to shot shell reloading, I have been loading pistol caliber for a few years, but one is not the same as the other I am finding out.

I am working on putting together loads and can't seem to get myself all the right stuff in one spot.

I purchased a MEC 600 JR for 16, plus the short plate,

I also added the Super crimp (8 fold) from BPI to the rig

I am looking to load 2-1/2" shells in 7/8oz & 3/4oz loads

I recently got CHed shells from BPI with 209 primer, plus the cut down tool for trimming

BPI's SG16 wads

I have a bunch of RST shells, and Winchester primers, but wanted to start with the pre-primed Ched 209 hulls from BPI for my first loads

Last part of the puzzle was to pickup a bag of lead shot (#Cool at my local supplier and powder, well when I got the loads off Hodgdon for Clays, didn't think there would be non and the IMR 7625 don't laugh, and a search on ammoseek only turns up one supplier in TN, and when I went to order NG.

So can anyone direct me to a some other powders for the loads I am working.

I am on Loaddata and that turned up squat also.

So another search got me to this site and I am crossing my fingers that some of you can give me a nudge in the right direction, I see others list reference to other powder for the light loads, but have not found all the right or enough info for me to feel like I have a good start.

And Thanks in advance for the direction everyone

Tom

The last part of the puzzle besides
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:17 am  Reply with quote

SW39Tom welcome to the site you will find alot of very good infro here .

For 7/8 oz in the short Ched hulls( 2 1/2") the SG-16 wad will work fine , but for 3/4 oz the Dr16 wad will be better .

powders - Green Dot , Interntional clays , 700x